Bobrovsky signs: 2 years, 11.25 million, (post 854)

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
This is what I was alluding to in the Vinny thread. Had to wait for Bob's deal to get done to see how much they could afford to pay Prospal.

And this scenario is my preferred.

How much they spend could increase if they could find a taker for Umberger. Also, you never know but Johansen could be dangled as well. We have some depth at center, so if a wing upgrade is available, he could be dealt.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Spector's Hockey is tweeting that Bob's new contract is 2 years, 10 million - 5M AAV. That's not bad. That still gives us about 10.5M under the cap. Maybe a 5-6M scorer and Vinny?

It's garbage, but Howson would have signed him to 6 to 6.5 million a year so we got off easy. Is Bob worth more than Schneider? Hells to the no and that was signed all the back to the beginning of last season.

It's over and now we can move on. It will eat a my craw even if he leads us to the Cup, but now I don't have to listen to the debate for another year or two.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline 3m

#CBJ have signed G Sergei Bobrovsky to 2 year deal. Official.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
Bob McKenzie tweets that his deal has an AAV just a shade under 6M. That leaves us just about 9M under the cap. What can they do with that. Perhaps one 5M score and Vinny?

Jimmys7

Jun 29, 2011
Columbus Ohio
Bob McKenzie tweets that his deal has an AAV just a shade under 6M. That leaves us just about 9M under the cap. What can they do with that. Perhaps one 5M score and Vinny?

I love Vinny, but I doubt he gets more than the 2.5 Mil he got last year.

CalBuckeyeRob

Feb 25, 2012
The difference between the top goalies and the middle group is about 1/2 goal per game. You might chalk that all up to defense, but if you compare Bobrovsky to Mason, Rask to Khudobin, Brodeur to Hedberg, Schneider to Luongo, etc. a significant difference is not unusual on the same team. If the elite goalie played every game, that equates to preventing 40 goals in the course of a season over an average goalie. But even if that is overstated by a factor of 2 and it saves you 20 goals that has substantial dollar value. Assume an average forward gets you 20 goals. How much more does it cost you to replace him with a guy that generates 20 goals above that by being on your team? Quality goalies like quality forwards come at a price. Paying him $5,000,000 if he saves you 20+ goals over an average goalie is very reasonable.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Really interested to find out what happened in the last 48 hours re: bob.

Sounded like they were far enough apart that the Jackets seriously looked at other options. Really wonder why the gap closed so quickly.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Really interested to find out what happened in the last 48 hours re: bob.

Sounded like they were far enough apart that the Jackets seriously looked at other options. Really wonder why the gap closed so quickly.

I think he really wanted to play here, and his agent was trying to squeeze every penny he could. Frustrated JK so he might have taken everything off the table and started calling around, might have made Bob's side panic and blink first, because after the trade winds started kicking the deal seemed to come together quickly.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
sounds like 5.75 for him per year for 2 yrs...about $1m too much per year...oh well...on to finding goal scorers...

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
How much they spend could increase if they could find a taker for Umberger. Also, you never know but Johansen could be dangled as well. We have some depth at center, so if a wing upgrade is available, he could be dealt.

Indeed. The trade route would, logically, free up some dough as well. I was just trying to simply my point, for now.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
No idea where you were going with this one.

Some seem to be suggesting that Mason sucked because he got paid early. Mason sucked here because he sucked here, not because he got paid. Entitlement was an issue, but that apparently started long before he got his extension.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Agree, it is about 1M too much. At least its only a two year deal and not 4.

Actually almost 3 mill too much. Schneider just got 3 years 12 million a season ago. Contracts like Price and now Smith have screwed up the goalie market.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad