Bobrovsky Save of the Year

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Agreed, most are, like this, it's the ones that are pure skill that are the true SOTYs. He literally just threw his body toward the opposite side of the net and hoped for the best, which worked. He wasn't even looking lol.
He does see the shooter coming though and decides that turning away from him and throwing himself across the crease is his best chance.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
Agreed, most are, like this, it's the ones that are pure skill that are the true SOTYs. He literally just threw his body toward the opposite side of the net and hoped for the best, which worked. He wasn't even looking lol.
There was plenty of pure skill involved in that save. The mere effort of throwing his body did not stop the puck, it was the combination of awareness, quickness and athleticism along with the effort.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
When a goalie is dead to rights like that, you ideally wanna just shoot it along the ice. Because all they can do is throw out their arm or stick and hope the puck hits it

Harder to do on backhand though, they tend to flutter

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Does anyone have a clip with like 20+ seconds of lead-up? I was watching live and the lead-up made it even more jarring, out of nowhere, and spectacular. I reacted so excitedly when it happened that my old lady ran into the room thinking I hurt myself

Reactions: Laus723

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
The “pure luck” comments here are absolutely hilarious.

It’s pretty obvious that Bobrovsky is understanding the area he needs to be in within a split second to have a chance to stop it.

It’s a mind blowing save. One of the best in a very long time.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Lol, every other goalie would've tried turning first so they could extend their pad, at which point the puck would've already been in the net. Bob had great presence of mind to realize it was too late to do that so his best chance was to literally fling himself even if he didn't know for sure when the puck would be shot.

Reactions: HolyHagelin

Minnesota Knudsens

Apr 22, 2024
There’s an element of luck to this, but also creativity on Bob’s part to turn backwards and cover the net last second. That element of surprise catches Dumba off guard. He’s thinking get it off quick for an easy goal instead of adjusting to his forehand or making a more finely placed backhand.

Skeletorrr

May 15, 2011
Finland
Well, it worked but along the ice was free. Hasek would instead have cartwheeled on his back with his blocker arm tightly against the ice to cover the option along the ice while hopefully covering the upper parts of the net with his pads, which is really the best thing to do here.

This one looked good because by luck the opponent happened to hit the one part of the net he covered with his arm, but he seriously didn't cover a lot. I'm not a fan of calling saves where the opponent luckily hits just the one part he covers as incredible saves, even if they happen to work out. Especially in situations like this, where along the ice would be a free goal as it's completely uncovered, because by default, shooting the puck along the ice should be trivial.

In short, not save of the year for me, but I can see why people find it impressive. I'm not fond of results-based evaluation.
You Probably hated Hasek and Kipper now didn't you?

ratbid

Feb 18, 2012
I have to say, I'm disappointed with the haters I've seen in this thread (unless I missed something).

Anyone who's complaining about this being a lucky save and didn't say "It was just Dumba luck" should be ashamed of themselves.

Great save, gotta love playoff Bobrovski.

RJMA

Feb 15, 2023
I like how all the commentators were like, "omg that is the best save of the playoffs!" Freakin' goofballs, that is a top 3 save of the past five years lol.
Factoring in all circumstances, it goes back much farther than 5 years.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
5% of NHL'ers are from Russia, but 13% of goalies are Russian.

Is that just something that comes and goes, like the influx of Finnish goalies a while back, or are they doing something different in development?

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
5% of NHL'ers are from Russia, but 13% of goalies are Russian.

Is that just something that comes and goes, like the influx of Finnish goalies a while back, or are they doing something different in development?
Goalies and offense first wings are RUS's strong points for sure.

I think their goalies become so good playing behind their RUS defenders......heeeeeeey oh!

• Haha

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Goalies and offense first wings are RUS's strong points for sure.

I think their goalies become so good playing behind their RUS defenders......heeeeeeey oh!

Russia hockey and soccer are like the Russian military:

When defending their homeland, they are almost unbeatable but when on attack, they usually fail hard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad