Bobrovsky Save of the Year

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Would have been better if he caught it. Still nice though.

MrRuin

Sponsor
Apr 7, 2004
Somewhere in time
Well, it worked but along the ice was free. Hasek would instead have cartwheeled on his back with his blocker arm tightly against the ice to cover the option along the ice while hopefully covering the upper parts of the net with his pads, which is really the best thing to do here.

This one looked good because by luck the opponent happened to hit the one part of the net he covered with his arm, but he seriously didn't cover a lot. I'm not a fan of calling saves where the opponent luckily hits just the one part he covers as incredible saves, even if they happen to work out. Especially in situations like this, where along the ice would be a free goal as it's completely uncovered, because by default, shooting the puck along the ice should be trivial.

In short, not save of the year for me, but I can see why people find it impressive. I'm not fond of results-based evaluation.
However this save doesn’t exist in a vacuum. I am generally also not a fan of „luck“ based saves being labelled as SOTY, but in this case it’s a sequence of three saves in a row with heavy movement involved. You could argue that he made a mistake on the second save where he moved awkwardly and was totally out of balance to make that last save look so spectacular.

But here‘s the thing: the way he moves his body back into any position to even attempt that third save is what makes this save special. Strength, edge work and determination is what makes this a thing of beauty and sheer skill. The actual save is just the cherry on top.

As a beer league goalie myself I appreciate how he made the impossible possible.

Last edited:

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
A degree of luck? It was pure luck, beyond covering around 3% of the net.
The lengths people go to discredit an incredible save. If it was pure luck, he wouldn't have even tried to make a save and the puck would've just hit him. Clearly that was not what happened, and clearly he covered more than 3 percent of the net by diving in front of the shot.

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl
A degree of luck? It was pure luck, beyond covering around 3% of the net.
Goalies know that the center of the net is likely where a shooter would put the puck on an open net.

If the odds were the shooter would slide it in, Bob would have gone for the save down there too.

He’s a ten million dollar goalie. You are just ignorant.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Certainly one of the best I've seen in several years, insane save.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad