Bobby Ryan- Upside????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
It's weird how perception around here changes so rapidly. A few weeks before the draft when Bobby Ryan wasn't really considered to be a Top 3 prospect in the draft, people were passing over him in draft discussion as an afterthought. Now he was drafted #2 overall and he's "John LeClair with better hands". LeClair has almost 400 career goals.

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site
LeClair was the first person that came to mind when I read a description of Ryan's game. Big power forward, not the best skater, not super-physical or chippy, but uses his body to create space. Great hands, high scoring potential, can pass, goes to the net.

NYC Aim 4588

Vanman said:
Just wondering what type of GOAL-SCORING potential does Ryan have?? And are there any current NHL'ers that would be a good comparison????
First people are comparing Crosby to Forsberg now they are comparing Ryan to Forsberg :dunno:

These kids are nothing like Forsberg. Forsberg is a rare player to come by and justbecause a kid has great potential dont mean he is the next Forsberg.

My comparison's:

Crosby = Joe Sakic/ Brad Richards
Ryan = Shane Doan

( With Ryan being a bit more skilled offensively, than Doan )

balddog66

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
I hate how the guy goes 2nd overall, and yet he's one of the few prospects that the Hockey News continues to focus on the negative...yes he's not a speed skater...but why not talk about the things he does well...heck if you only read the right ups guys drafted #29 overall would sound like a much better player...

FearTheFlyers

Feb 3, 2003
Visit site
Caniacforever said:
It's weird how perception around here changes so rapidly. A few weeks before the draft when Bobby Ryan wasn't really considered to be a Top 3 prospect in the draft, people were passing over him in draft discussion as an afterthought. Now he was drafted #2 overall and he's "John LeClair with better hands". LeClair has almost 400 career goals.

I called him the 2nd best player in the draft a year ago.

Rounder

Jan 23, 2005
Ryan upside

Lets see:
The kid has won at every level he has ever played, had he not declared for the U.S team he would have went first to Saginaw in his O.H.L draft year, he was competing for the scoring title prior to the injury in Vancouver, he led his team, and was a league leader in plus minus in his second year in the O.H.L. He wore the C at the Prospects game, and Don Cherry calls him the most impressive player at the camp.
He has excellent rink vision, above average hands, is dominant in the corners and immovable in front of the net, oh and his body has not fully matured.
I dont know, maybe its me, but it seems like quite a few people like his upside.

Attica

Feb 21, 2004
The Office
JayRice66 said:
Going by only what I know about him. He will be similar to Peter Forsberg or John Leclaire. He is really physical. And the few clips I saw of him looked like he wasn't afraid to play anywhere on the ice. He really strong. The only bad things ive heard were that he isn't a very strong skater. But Lupul wasn't either and hes improved alot.

WOAH... lets cool it on the forsberg comparisons, he's not forsberg, I would say he'll be a Guerin type player. he doesn't have the size or physical strength of a Bertuzzi or Thorton, but he still is an imposing physical threat.

Guerin/Horton

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Attica said:
WOAH... lets cool it on the forsberg comparisons, he's not forsberg, I would say he'll be a Guerin type player. he doesn't have the size or physical strength of a Bertuzzi or Thorton, but he still is an imposing physical threat.

Guerin/Horton

Well, there is the fact that Ryan is still a kid who isn't done growing yet. I can easily see him max out at 6'3'' 230 lbs.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
GagneOwnsYou said:
I called him the 2nd best player in the draft a year ago.

I've noticed that you're a fan of Bobby's. What kind of player do you think he is? I've seen him twice, and he reminds me of Glen Murray. Big and strong with a finishing touch, but he could be so much more. What do you think?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
monster_bertuzzi said:
I've noticed that you're a fan of Bobby's. What kind of player do you think he is? I've seen him twice, and he reminds me of Glen Murray. Big and strong with a finishing touch, but he could be so much more. What do you think?

I'd like to interject my own thoughts on Ryan. Murray on the surface would appear to be a good comparison, although IMO Ryan is a much better playmaker and will be quite a bit bigger when his body matures. I really do think he could be a Todd Bertuzzi like player who produces similar point totals. I don't think he'll ever have the mean streak Bertuzzi does, but certainly the size, strength, and offensive ability to impress his will on a game.

fatsunny

Jan 22, 2005
Ryan's upside

I've watched Bobby Ryan for many years. He is one of the most talented stick handlers, play makers, shooters, I've seen. He will be a great play maker in the NHL. He will also score a lot of goals as he has the uncanny ability to find the back of the net with unreal creativity. If you haven't seen him play, you'll be in for a treat once he get's comfortable with the NHL level of play.

Yeah, he's slower than most, but last time I checked, some of the top scorers in NHL history (Hull, Lemieux, Robotaille) are all slow/bad skaters. These players just have a way of getting things done and Bobby has been and will continue to be, one of those types of players.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
Attica said:

Guerin/Horton

guerin is one of the fastest players in the nhl. ryan and guerin may have similar size, but not playing styles.

he doesnt play like forsberg
he doesnt play like spezza
he doesnt play like thornton, as previous posters have suggested

if you compare him to any nhl'ers in their prime he would fall into the category of leclair, andreychuk, betruzzi, doan, murray. while most of these players put up more goals then assists, i think bobby will do the opposite, but their overall playing styles are similar.

at best leclair, neely; mediocre, shane doan; at worst, chad kilger

NYC Aim 4588

one thing I did notice is the kid is huge on draft day when he approached the stage his upper body was massive especially for a kid his age, he is going to be one tough player to get off the puck when he gets in the NHL, especially when he gets into his mid to late 20's and early 30's he is gonna be one strong kid.

FearTheFlyers

Feb 3, 2003
Visit site
monster_bertuzzi said:

Most of this is what I posted on the Ducks board a while ago.

Basically, for those who are unfamiliar with his game, Bobby is a power forward with a playmaking streak, he sees the ice extremely well and can make passes that others do not even see. He is in his niche behind the net, and moving the nets back is going to help him even more, with his excellent backhand(comparable to Sundin) and his long reach plus great vision, he is a multi tool threat from behind the net. Moreover, he is a physical freak of nature, he can flat out carry defenders on his back and is highly skileld at playing with one hand on his stick. He has a very hard slapshot that he prefers to use to play for rebounds, rather than aim for a corner and miss, which he rarely will do. He has that special ability of making every shot on goal uncomfortable for the goalie. To go with that package he has incredible one on one moves and the softest hands for a big guy. The knock on him is obviously his skating, which needs work to increase his top end speed. However, he does have good acceleration and can force an opponent to slow down to him with his awareness and body position.

As far as comparisms with NHL players, it's really hard to find one because he is so big and so strong, yet he has such amazing hands and playmaking ability. The one guy I would compare him to would be Forsberg, but there's just something missing,
like a bit of nastiness to his game.

He's more in a mold of a cross between a big power forward(Murray), a top finisher( Sundin) and a great playmaker(Forsberg)

I know I sound absolutely ridicolously high on this kid but I really see a 40 goal, 90 point NHL player in him. A true superstar.

We'll see.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
NYC Aim 4588 said:
one thing I did notice is the kid is huge on draft day when he approached the stage his upper body was massive especially for a kid his age, he is going to be one tough player to get off the puck when he gets in the NHL, especially when he gets into his mid to late 20's and early 30's he is gonna be one strong kid.

hes a monster, and hes really only been lifting weights seriously for about a year now. in street clothes at the draft he was easily the thickest guy there (bourret is fat), and when you see him on the ice he is the widest and strongest guy out on the ice. out of everyone in the draft he has the most nhl ready body.

would the forsberg comparisons please stop. bobby is bigger, not as strong defensively, not as fast, not as in your face, they play different postions, etc. bobby has an awkward, yet effective skating technique, and his bread and butter is down low, forsberg does it all over the ice.

Last edited:

Habsaku

Apr 28, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Caniacforever said:

I was thinking the same thing.

Randall Graves*

orangeandblack said:
hes a monster, and hes really only been lifting weights seriously for about a year now. in street clothes at the draft he was easily the thickest guy there (bourret is fat), and when you see him on the ice he is the widest and strongest guy out on the ice. out of everyone in the draft he has the most nhl ready body.

would the forsberg comparisons please stop. bobby is bigger, not as strong defensively, not as fast, not as in your face, they play different postions, etc. bobby has an awkward, yet effective skating technique, and his bread and butter is down low, forsberg does it all over the ice.
i'm not sure how often this happens, but is there a possibility that when he gets to the NHL he'll be more physical since the game is tougher? he has that ability and he may need to so he can be more effective and let people know he won't back down.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
Mike Strothers the coach of the Owen Sound Attack said his game resembles jason allison and john leclair in their primes, when asked the style bobby ryan plays. im sure he probably knows best.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
jtuzzi said:
Reminds me of the 02 draft very much...

Many people questioned taking Nash (Ryan?) over Bouwmeester (Johnson?). We see how thats played out. I realize Bouwmeester and Johnson aren't that similar, but its interesting nonetheless.

Good points. I was thinking the same thing on draft day this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad