Bobby Ryan- Upside????

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayRice66

Jul 31, 2005
Wheeling, WV
Vanman said:
Just wondering what type of GOAL-SCORING potential does Ryan have?? And are there any current NHL'ers that would be a good comparison????

Going by only what I know about him. He will be similar to Peter Forsberg or John Leclaire. He is really physical. And the few clips I saw of him looked like he wasn't afraid to play anywhere on the ice. He really strong. The only bad things ive heard were that he isn't a very strong skater. But Lupul wasn't either and hes improved alot.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
JayRice66 said:
Going by only what I know about him. He will be similar to Peter Forsberg or John Leclaire. He is really physical. And the few clips I saw of him looked like he wasn't afraid to play anywhere on the ice. He really strong. The only bad things ive heard were that he isn't a very strong skater. But Lupul wasn't either and hes improved alot.
forsberg or leclair? does he really have that much offensive potential? the guys on tsn were saying he was a peca type.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Dark Metamorphosis said:
forsberg or leclair? does he really have that much offensive potential? the guys on tsn were saying he was a peca type.

Thats why they are clueless. You sure they didn't mean the comparison for Bourret?

Ryan is like Rick Nash or old-school LeClair.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
leclair and forsberg are completely different players. maybe leclair but with better hands; both strong goal scorers with average skating, and nice size, but not overly physical, and play very well in front of the net. bourret might be compared to a peca or a john madden type, not bobby ryan. bobby ryan will probably end up somewhere near a leclair or owen nolan.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Balej's Dance said:
Thats why they are clueless. You sure they didn't mean the comparison for Bourret?

Ryan is like Rick Nash or old-school LeClair.
hm, you might be right about that being about bourret.

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
I had a long discussion with HF's Ottawa writer, Sean Keogh about this when I was writing Anaheim's draft review.
The names we threw out were John Leclair, John MacLean, Shane Doan and Glen Murray.
He doesn't just sit in front of the net, but his skating does need improvement. A player like Murray skates better then him, but Murray is also more of an individual player, whereas Ryan is more of a playmaker. Ryan doesn't have the shot power of Doan, but his hands are a little better.
Frankly, he struck me as an improved Mike Leclerc. Leclerc isn't the best skater and usually looks to distribute the puck rather then shoot it himself.

FearTheFlyers

Feb 3, 2003
Visit site
Ryan doesn`t remind me of any NHL player a lot because he is a bona fide power forward with amazing playmaking abilioty. Forsberg would come closest.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
GagneOwnsYou said:
Ryan doesn`t remind me of any NHL player a lot because he is a bona fide power forward with amazing playmaking abilioty. Forsberg would come closest.

I'm not sure if you've seen Ber enough.

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
Leclair and Glen Murray are just big but not physical. Nolan,Bertuzzi,Thornton are big and physical does Ryan fall in between or is he tough as well?

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Does Ryan drop the gloves? That kinda is the difference between LeClair, Murray and Forsber vs. Tkachuk, Thonrton and Nolan.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
From what I've heard he doesn't shy away from the physical play but has also a polite game, so he doesn't fight often; his 51 PIMs last season show this.

Anyway not that Tkachoke and Thornthon are much of fighters...

bean7

May 18, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
I think my best comparison for Bobby Ryan would be Jason Spezza.

Both are big players who don't initiate physical contact but aren't afraid of it either. Ryan, like Spezza, has exceptional vision and stick-handling skills that can bring fans out of their seats and leave opposition players (and teammates occasionally) dumbfounded. Both players have been critcized for their awkward, poor skating yet they are fast enough, and smart enough, to frequently have and control the puck, and put up points. If anything, Ryan is better in corners and at holding off defenders while controlling the puck. It remains to be seen if he can do this at the NHL level, but I suspect that he can.

Of course that's my opinion, I could be wrong.

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
bean7 said:
I think my best comparison for Bobby Ryan would be Jason Spezza.

Both are big players who don't initiate physical contact but aren't afraid of it either. Ryan, like Spezza, has exceptional vision and stick-handling skills that can bring fans out of their seats and leave opposition players (and teammates occasionally) dumbfounded. Both players have been critcized for their awkward, poor skating yet they are fast enough, and smart enough, to frequently have and control the puck, and put up points. If anything, Ryan is better in corners and at holding off defenders while controlling the puck. It remains to be seen if he can do this at the NHL level, but I suspect that he can.

Of course that's my opinion, I could be wrong.

Jason Spezza at 18 looked like Toller Cranston compared to Bobby Ryan. Spezza had a relatively smooth stride, his legs were just weak and his feet slow. Ryan, on the other hand, is an ugly skater. He is, however, strong on his skates.

IMO, his upside is Jason Allison (which obviously is pretty good), but I expect something more along the lines of a Ray Sheppard's Pie.

FearTheFlyers

Feb 3, 2003
Visit site
Ryan was suspended by his team in his rookie season for dropping them with giant Deveraux Heshmatpour.

He was far too valuable to be fighting. Word is he was getting bothered by all those slashes to the wrists and took boxing lessons in the summer though.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Reminds me of the 02 draft very much...

Many people questioned taking Nash (Ryan?) over Bouwmeester (Johnson?). We see how thats played out. I realize Bouwmeester and Johnson aren't that similar, but its interesting nonetheless.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
jtuzzi21 said:
Reminds me of the 02 draft very much...

Many people questioned taking Nash (Ryan?) over Bouwmeester (Johnson?). We see how thats played out. I realize Bouwmeester and Johnson aren't that similar, but its interesting nonetheless.

IIRC Nash wasn't taken over Bouwmeister in any but a technical sense. Deals were done where teams agreed not to take Bouwmeister or Florida wouldn't move down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad