Player Discussion Bobby McMann

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
He’s also 28, so the same age as Verhaeghe and Marchment, a couple of other power guys we let slip through the cracks. So it’ll be an interesting dollar amount and term they decide on since you’re basically playing for the immediate future before this guy turns 30 and over. Still, not lot of pro mileage on him so there’s another factor.
My one concern is that he looks at this lineup and realizes that it may be tough for him to secure a top 6 spot here, and maybe that prompts him to look at a one or two year deal with a team that can give him a more realistic chance at a top 6 spot. Who knows. In any event, he's not getting a big contract from any team.

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
Very happy with him. There is a lot to his game. Good size, good speed, can play any fwd position, can put the puck in the net… honestly last night I was wondering why we don’t give him a go next to Matthews and Marner. He has all the tools to be effective there.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
McMann's in a really interesting spot contract-wise.

He'll be 28 years old this summer, but with basically no credible resume.

Looking at it from his perspective.

You can make a case for him to sign a 1-year deal and build that resume to hopefully sign a subsequent 3-4 year.... but that carries a lot of risk, as if he ends up the odd man out, his career is likely done.

Alternatively, you go out and sign a 3, or maybe 4 year deal, knowing that the bulk of your career earnings are going to be capped at that; but you're going to have the security of having had an NHL paycheque for 3-4 years.

If I look at it from both perspectives, I think the logical thing to do would probably be to sign a 3 year deal in the neighborhood of $1.25m.

It's a shade over the maximum buryable amount to the AHL, which would help discourage a team from doing so. It gives him the security of $3.75m in career earnings even if he flames out back to the AHL, and still leaves the opportunity for 1 more contract if he does develop further.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
If everyone played with his determination in puck pursuit, going to the dirty areas, getting the puck to the net, and willingness to finish checks we’d win the cup.

That's weird you say that.

Determination, puck pursuit and going to dirty areas is what I think of when I think of this team

• Haha
Reactions: theTTC and TMLife17

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare

You can make a case for him to sign a 1-year deal and build that resume to hopefully sign a subsequent 3-4 year.... but that carries a lot of risk, as if he ends up the odd man out, his career is likely done.

Alternatively, you go out and sign a 3, or maybe 4 year deal, knowing that the bulk of your career earnings are going to be capped at that; but you're going to have the security of having had an NHL paycheque for 3-4 years.

If I look at it from both perspectives, I think the logical thing to do would probably be to sign a 3 year deal in the neighborhood of $1.25m.

It's a shade over the maximum buryable amount to the AHL, which would help discourage a team from doing so. It gives him the security of $3.75m in career earnings even if he flames out back to the AHL, and still leaves the opportunity for 1 more contract if he does develop further.
Bunting is a decent comparable. He signed two years at 950K per season.

I'd be fine with the deal they gave Timmins - 2 years, 1.1M per season. Easy to bury for Toronto, but a fair sum for McMann. McMann may not want to lock in a 3rd year at that rate given his trajectory. He has potential to grow. 2 years allows him to make life changing money if he fails, but gives him a chance at 30 to try again as an FA with a better resume.

Last edited:
Reactions: banks and kb

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
That's weird you say that.

Determination, puck pursuit and going to dirty areas is what I think of when I think of this team
Maybe it’s what you’d like to think about us but it’s not reality.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Bunting is a decent comparable. He signed two years at 950K per season.

I'd be fine with the deal they gave Timmins - 2 years, 1.1M per season. Easy to bury for Toronto, but a fair sum for McMann. McMann may not want to lock in a 3rd year at that rate given his trajectory. He has potential to grow. 2 years allows him to make life changing money if he fails, but gives him a chance at 31 to try again as an FA with a better resume.

Yeah, the challenge McMann has versus Bunting, is that Bunting was 25 when he signed his deal. He knew, as a left winger, he could go into Toronto, have a really good chance at playing with a really good centre and winger opposite him, light it up for 2 years, and then hit UFA at age 28, and sign a big contract, just like Zach Hyman did.

McMann's in a different spot. He'll be 28 in June. A 2 year deal takes him to 30. Teams are going to be fearful about giving him a sizable multi-year deal at age 30.

From a team perspective, when you look at a 28 year old player that's a bit of a later bloomer and plays a more physical game, you probably think he's got 3 solid years left, and then injuries will start to kick in, with performance declining.... so you'll sign a 4, 5, 6 or 7 year deal, accepting that "you'll pay for it" in the future.

It's a much harder value proposition when you're talking about a guy that's 30.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
If I am McMann, I will sign a 2 yrs deal at 1.2-3mil.
Bc unless he goes to a completely crappy team, there is no way he will get PP time.
I will also suggest he picks up more PK time and be a stable on the 3rd line.
To me his ceiling is Hyman at the Leafs not the 50 goals scorer now and his bottom is Trevor Moore with LA.

Reactions: banks

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019

If his agent has an ounce of common sense, he will go for the three year deal versus the one year deal. As you say, there is a lot of risk for him in a one year deal, especially with the Leafs.

Reactions: kb

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Very happy with him. There is a lot to his game. Good size, good speed, can play any fwd position, can put the puck in the net… honestly last night I was wondering why we don’t give him a go next to Matthews and Marner. He has all the tools to be effective there.
That's some 3 M innovation for you.

Reactions: OddyOh

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Can keep Mccan and trade Cowan

Keeping McCann, Knies, Minten and Cowan gives us a nice little next wave to fill the forward group. Probably won’t keep Bertuzzi at his current hit but can keep Domi and add some modest help.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If I am McMann, I will sign a 2 yrs deal at 1.2-3mil.
Bc unless he goes to a completely crappy team, there is no way he will get PP time.
I will also suggest he picks up more PK time and be a stable on the 3rd line.
To me his ceiling is Hyman at the Leafs not the 50 goals scorer now and his bottom is Trevor Moore with LA.

$1.2 to $3 million is a massive range for a lower end player. Anything up to just under $2 million is a reasonable risk to take but it would have to come at 2 years or something like that.

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
Keeping McCann, Knies, Minten and Cowan gives us a nice little next wave to fill the forward group. Probably won’t keep Bertuzzi at his current hit but can keep Domi and add some modest help.

I feel relying on two rookies to fill one top 6 and one bottom 6 role is probably too optimistic.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
$1.2 to $3 million is a massive range for a lower end player. Anything up to just under $2 million is a reasonable risk to take but it would have to come at 2 years or something like that.
I meant 1.2-1.3 mil not 1.2-3mil. Now that you mentioned it, I do see that I wasn't 100% clear when I typed that.

Reactions: Stephen

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
He's made enough of an impact that he's pretty much cemented his spot on the roster for this year, and for the start of the post-season. That's already a huge deal, since he was not really on the radar at the start of the year.

I think a 2 year deal is appropriate at around a million per. You could go a bit higher if the management knows and likes how he fits in with the team/culture.

Reactions: Blaylock38

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
He's made enough of an impact that he's pretty much cemented his spot on the roster for this year, and for the start of the post-season. That's already a huge deal, since he was not really on the radar at the start of the year.

I think a 2 year deal is appropriate at around a million per. You could go a bit higher if the management knows and likes how he fits in with the team/culture.
Seems like a good guess at this point.

Reactions: banks

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino