Half-Assed GDT: Blues vs. Bolts

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Lots of angry clickity clack keyboards in here.

The attack of “isms” because folks have opinions and prefer their entertainment delivered in certain ways.

The online sheep herding can be entertaining if not taken too seriously.

Theres a difference between having a preferred way of entertainment, and being absolutely sexist about it…come on now lol

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014

The attack of “isms” because folks have opinions and prefer their entertainment delivered in certain ways.

When the opinion is "women shouldn't be hired for this job because I prefer not hearing women's voices during men's sports," then the opinion is sexist. By definition. There is no way to interpret that other than 'your sex should make you ineligible for a job.'

When the "certain way he likes entertainment delivered" is "no female voices during the game" then that preference is sexist.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Call me sexist, but women at hockey broadcast just doesn't work imho. They have knowledge, but their sound just doesn't fit in men's hockey. Women's can broadcast their own women's hockey. Sorry.

But in commercial brake or end of period if there is women interviewing somebody it's just fine, but while game is going their voice just doesn't fit in there. :dunno:
Okay, you're sexist. Pretty easy there.

Reactions: Blueston

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Yes, he made a few mistakes. Both of them did.

I don't hold it against him that much, I mean I'm old enough to remember the Craig Billingon era. I just think Bucci tries too hard to be funny or come up with crazy things to say instead of just calling the game. But it makes the game interesting, that's for sure.

Reactions: ChicagoBlues

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
When the opinion is "women shouldn't be hired for this job because I prefer not hearing women's voices during men's sports," then the opinion is sexist. By definition. There is no way to interpret that other than 'your sex should make you ineligible for a job.'

When the "certain way he likes entertainment delivered" is "no female voices during the game" then that preference is sexist.
Exactly.

And for those confused, imagine if he instead said:
"I don't think Black people should play in the NHL because I prefer not looking at Black people during hockey"

Would you see that as a racist comment or would you say that it's just a difference in opinion and a preference?

Reactions: Blueston

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
My favorite video of all time by a wide margin!
my kids are 26, 24 and 19 - once or twice a year I kind of force them to watch it while pretending I have never shown it to them before; I get some top notch eye rolls out of it
I watched the Bad video last night for the first time in many years. Viewing it today, it looks like parody (self-parody) every bit as much as Fat. I was shocked how badly it has aged.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Here’s a hot take:

Many of the male announcers suck as well: Pierre the name dropper, angry dude who beat a fan with his shoe, the guy called Doc was never good IMO and never a real doctor. Etc.

Lighten up folks…

Reactions: TheDizee

Sgt Schultz

Jun 30, 2019
Santa Fe, NM
I didn't see the game, but the three Lightning goals were all pinball shots.

Out of 16 people on the ice for the first one (including officials), maybe only 2 of them knew where the puck was when it was airborne.

The initial shot on the second one looked like it was going well wide until it hit one of the Lightning (and I mean hit, not deflected), clanged off the pipe and was then put in.

The third one was one of the strangest I have seen in over 50 years of watching hockey. I thought maybe Binner relaxed on it, but he is clearly following it around the boards, only it never went around the boards. Strange, strange start. I can hear Dan Kelly shouting down "that was a real weird one."

Good to see them fight off a sluggish start compounded with some bad bounces. I think the puck luck could have been more crippling than anything else.

Four consecutive games against two of the league's best teams, and we start out by somehow scratching and clawing for 2 points in the first of them, when it appeared that the universe was conspiring against us. And "Craig" Binnington showed his grit surviving the bizarre start. I'll take that in a second.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I didn't see the game, but the three Lightning goals were all pinball shots.

Out of 16 people on the ice for the first one (including officials), maybe only 2 of them knew where the puck was when it was airborne.

The initial shot on the second one looked like it was going well wide until it hit one of the Lightning (and I mean hit, not deflected), clanged off the pipe and was then put in.

The third one was one of the strangest I have seen in over 50 years of watching hockey. I thought maybe Binner relaxed on it, but he is clearly following it around the boards, only it never went around the boards. Strange, strange start. I can hear Dan Kelly shouting down "that was a real weird one."

Good to see them fight off a sluggish start compounded with some bad bounces. I think the puck luck could have been more crippling than anything else.

Four consecutive games against two of the league's best teams, and we start out by somehow scratching and clawing for 2 points in the first of them, when it appeared that the universe was conspiring against us. And "Craig" Binnington showed his grit surviving the bizarre start. I'll take that in a second.
The second goal was also affected by Barbashev dropping his stick and moving out of position to pick it up immediately prior to the put-back.

AjaxManifesto

Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Well f***, now that you've explained this isn't a college campus, that makes bigotry totally chill!
My daughters prefer women doctors for many reasons outside of ability to do the job. I hadn’t thought about the “ism” there. Maybe I should give them the lecture.

Nawwww

Reactions: Punished ROR

Sgt Schultz

Jun 30, 2019
Santa Fe, NM
The second goal was also affected by Barbashev dropping his stick and moving out of position to pick it up immediately prior to the put-back.

Glad you pointed that out, because it pretty much cements those three as the strangest three goals I have seen in succession in one game.

Even in nights where the NHL has a full slate of games, I doubt anybody sees three like that in all of the games for the evening combined. Strange goals, yes. As strange as those, not in a trio on a given night.

And yet, we survived it.

AjaxManifesto

Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Glad you pointed that out, because it pretty much cements those three as the strangest three goals I have seen in succession in one game.

Even in nights where the NHL has a full slate of games, I doubt anybody sees three like that in all of the games for the evening combined. Strange goals, yes. As strange as those, not in a trio on a given night.

And yet, we survived it.

I heard all three on the radio while driving. In my mind I thought the team was sleeping. The 3rd one I thought Binny had mentally checked out on. But when I got home and saw the video I can totally see why he missed it. He was trying to see it riding along the glass behind the net…as it does 99.99998% of the time.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
My daughters prefer women doctors for many reasons outside of ability to do the job. I hadn’t thought about the “ism” there. Maybe I should give them the lecture.

Nawwww
Do they talk about about how they don't think that there should be male doctors at all because of their preference? If so, then you need to give them that lecture sooner than later. If not, then you have just made a wonderful false equivalency.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
See my post “male announcers”

But maybe you were looking for another gender than the normal two.
"I don't like this announcer who is a male" is not the equivalent to " I don't like this announcer because she is a female." It seems like you have an aversion to college campuses, but this is a middle school level concept.

NYBlues

Sep 20, 2017
I don't think it's sexist per se. It's a false conflation to mention race as the same thing. The difference is that to believe race makes a difference in anything is to believe that races are inherently different (and likely that some are better than others). That is obviously a racist notion. However, it is mistaken to argue there are no genuine differences between the sexes. It is rooted in biological reality. Yes, there are individual variations between people, but we can speak in generalities. There IS such a thing as masculinity, and I will say, I enjoy certain things just being for the boys. Like when guys have a "guy's night", for example. That recognizes there is something different and nice about just being around guys. I think it's silly to jump to calling sexist anything that acknowledges gender differences.

Reactions: Meatball

AjaxManifesto

Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Do they talk about about how they don't think that there should be male doctors at all because of their preference? If so, then you need to give them that lecture sooner than later. If not, then you have just made a wonderful false equivalency.
Not sure what post has you all ready to start the virtual stoning of the heretic. Did you ever see if maybe there was something lost in translation before you launched your ism crusade?

It all seems so silly, but I’m having fun. Making lemonade out of lemons can be entertaining.

AjaxManifesto

Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
"I don't like this announcer who is a male" is not the equivalent to " I don't like this announcer because she is a female." It seems like you have an aversion to college campuses, but this is a middle school level concept.
Lol…I’m on campus a few times each week. Always fun to see the little peacocks strutting with their righteous causes from the sanctity of the ivory walls.

Reactions: Reality Czech

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Sexism at its finest right here. Anytime you say someone is "not bad, for a female", its not a compliment, its sexist. AJ Mleczko knows more about hockey than you ever will. She is in the hockey hall of fame. She's been covering hockey for years in some capacity, covering multiple Olympics, college and women's hockey. She showed more knowledge of hockey in 60 minutes than you have shown in the 2+ years since you joined.

Seriously, what great nuggets of wisdom can you share that she did not? What were the huge gaps in her knowledge? The way people are complaining, you'd think there were some huge misinformation, or big moments of silence or something else outlandish. But no, they just don't like women in the booth.

When he referenced the voice "for a female" I took it for what it was. He didn't say she was not knowledgeable because she was female. I'm almost positive that it was Leah Hextall announcing this year and I really loved her enthusiasm and of course she knows what she's talking about but when she gets excited during a scoring chance her voice gets a little to high pitched for me but AJ last night is great.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

The irony of you calling out people for angry clickity clack typing is so rich. All you post is getting angry when the Blues aren't winning easily. "Argggh, this team is so (insert insult)" and "Grrr this team has no (insert word meant to denote effort)." The difference between your angry clickity clacking and the ones you are complaining about is that theirs matters. Its getting angry about something important. You are getting angry at nothing. Sexism, racism and the other "isms" as you call them are evil. And they should be called out whenever and wherever they are seen, lest they take root even more than they have.

Imagine one of your daughters had her heart set on a job. She was qualified for it, and had spent years grooming herself for it by working lesser jobs in the same field. When an opportunity finally arises, she doesn't get the job. You find out the hiring manager had said "while her resume was pretty good for a woman, she didn't have the requisite knowledge for the position" even though she did have the requisite knowledge. How do you feel about that? Do you tell her, that's ok, some people just have a preference? You can never have your dream job because people's preference is for nobody of your gender to ever have that job and that is not worth getting upset about. Or do you get angry at the guy who insulted your daughter? For your daughters' sakes I hope its the latter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad