Blues Trade Proposals Part XXXIV

Trade bait at TDL or off-season: Sobotka or Berglund?

• Sobotka

• Berglund

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I would honestly give an arm and a leg for Stone, he fits perfectly with our play style and having him Schwartz and Schenn on a line would be absolute havoc on the fore check. That being said, I don't see him being traded out of OTT unless he is asking for something like 8m/yr long term.

With these injuries are you guys all in the boat of standing pat and hoping our youth (along with Schenn and Tank) can limp us through a rough patch, or make a move? Our lineup looks rough right now.

Reactions: Edgar Carrow

Michael Scarn

Jan 30, 2015
In a vacuum, Stone over Hoffman for sure. But the price we’d have to pay to get him, then retain him would be huge. Plus he’s behind Karlsson as most important there.
Would love Hoffman. If only so I can watch that goal from the playoffs last year.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
I'd imagine Stone would only be available if they decide to move Karlsson and do a scorched earth rebuild. If he were put on the market it'd probably take two of our top group of prospects plus probably more to get him, cause the bidding war could get ugly.

As for Simmonds, I don't think the price would be worth it. He's a solid player, but I don't think we'd be able to keep him beyond next year as he'll be on the downside of his career, especially given his play style.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Saw on main boards discussion on Wayne Simmond's availability. Has he been discussed in this thread recently? Could he fill top 6 RW?
He could, but he's a much better fit as a stop-gap than a long-term investment, IMO.

Philly kind of needs him, honestly. If they decide they don't, someone else will want him long-term and bid appropriately. Unless there's an unexpected lack of interest, I don't think the Blues should be the ones winning that bidding war.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I was a big fan of getting the Wayne Train till I saw he was 29yrs old. Not an investment the Blues need.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
If Ottawa move someone, they aren't going to want to be taking on salary unless they are getting a clear upgrade.

Stone would be great, but the Senators aren't moving him. Not unless someone will give them a great return and take that Ryan contract. No way they are wanting to pay him $30m over the next 4 years.

McKenzie linking us to Kane, I really don't see how that trade could make any sense given the interest in him. Paying a premium for a pure rental, particularly when we don't have a first round pick this year, is crazy. Unless Buffalo loves a prospect that we don't see having a future here.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I'd only be interested in Kane if the plan is to move on from Stastny, and they extend Kane. I'm not sold on that plan, so I really wouldn't support it, but a rental just doesn't make sense for us.

The reported ask for Kane is 1st+3rd+B prospect or 2nd+A prospect.

At least those are reasonable asks. I'd be curious how Buffalo would value some of our more expendable higher rated prospects, like a Schmaltz+Blais/Barbashev package. Still not comfortable with a rental, but at least we have prospects that we could give up and it won't hurt too much.

Last edited:

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I like Kane's "potential". The problem is if the baggage is gone with him. Will we get this new Kane moving forward, or will he cash in and be meh again?

Hoffman is intetesting to an extent. He seems like the perfect Stastny winger. He sits in those soft spots that Paul looks for....maybe he can remind Vladi how to fire a puck :sarcasm:.

Im real interested in where DA is going with this. What the Blues are lacking can potentially be on the roster next year via prospects....do we sell out some of that for this year...

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I don’t have much interest in Kane. He’s purely a rental which would help the price in theory but, what does Buffalo consider an “A” prospect? Thompson? Schmaltz? Kostin? I’d probably be ok with Schmaltz being the key piece but at that point why not go after a RW to address more of a need? It just doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to me.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I would take Hoffman over Kane if we were looking to bolster our offense.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Agree about Hoffman over Kane. I just wanna know how good he is on the right wing.

Schwartz-Schenn-Tarasenko
Sobotka-Stastny-Hoffman
Steen-Berglund-Sunqvist/???
Upshall-Brodziak-Jaskin

I just wanna know his price outside of Gunnersson, maybe, I dont want to lose any roster players.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Agree about Hoffman over Kane. I just wanna know how good he is on the right wing.

Schwartz-Schenn-Tarasenko
Sobotka-Stastny-Hoffman
Steen-Berglund-Sunqvist/???
Upshall-Brodziak-Jaskin

I just wanna know his price outside of Gunnersson, maybe, I dont want to lose any roster players.
Gunnerson isn’t enough salary going back.

$5.2M is roughly the return needing to go the other way

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Gallagher is the player that I want to know the price of. He isn't as much of a score as the other guys getting talked about, but he provides better balance and is signed at a nice price for the next 3 years.

Gunnerson isn’t enough salary going back.

$5.2M is roughly the return needing to go the other way
We could make the cap work by only moving Gunnarsson. Just means that to carry a 23 man roster, Thorburn would need to be in the AHL.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Gallagher is the player that I want to know the price of. He isn't as much of a score as the other guys getting talked about, but he provides better balance and is signed at a nice price for the next 3 years.

We could make the cap work by only moving Gunnarsson. Just means that to carry a 23 man roster, Thorburn would need to be in the AHL.
Is a 23 man roster something Army will be willing to do? Especially with all the injuries so far?

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Is a 23 man roster something Army will be willing to do? Especially with all the injuries so far?
The 23 man roster is the maximum allowed until after the trade deadline, injured players don't count towards it. We currently carrying a roster of 22, with another 5 or 6 on IR.

When our roster is healthy, excluding Fabbri & Sanford since they are done for the year, then we have ~$2.3m in cap space. So if we did move Gunnarsson, we'd have $5.2m in space.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
The 23 man roster is the maximum allowed until after the trade deadline, injured players don't count towards it. We currently carrying a roster of 22, with another 5 or 6 on IR.

When our roster is healthy, excluding Fabbri & Sanford since they are done for the year, then we have ~$2.3m in cap space. So if we did move Gunnarsson, we'd have $5.2m in space.
I just checked Capfriendly. So they must not include the reduction of LTIR.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
If we are talking about adding a player like Hoffman, Stone, Gallagher, Kane, etc., which of our high-end prospects would you guys be most comfortable moving? Obviously some people would rather keep all of them and aim lower, but let's be honest. We'd likely have to part with at least one of Thomas, Kyrou, Thompson, Kostin + to acquire all or most of the guys I listed. So as a hypothetical, which one would you make available first? This is just for sake of argument, so I'm not looking for specific trade scenarios.

I assume most of us would make Thomas the most untouchable, but I can see reasonable arguments for the remaining three. Kyrou: could be a high-end talent, but also perhaps the biggest bust potential of the three due to size/defensive limitations, Thompson: seems to be nearly NHL-ready, but may end up as middle six; size may be tempting to other teams, Kostin: also boom/bust potential but IMO seems more likely to stick than Kyrou due to size/strength.

This isn't easy but I guess I'd be most comfortable moving:

1) Kyrou - partly because we've already got two little spark plugs, IF Fabbri can ever come back; also trade value likely very high as he dominates the OHL
2) Thompson - would be tough to give up when he's so close, but what if he doesn't have enough talent to be consistent top 6?
3) Kostin - maybe it's just a gut feeling, but I love the idea of a Kostin-Tarasenko one two punch; also like the fact that boxing is his second favorite sport
4) Thomas - would not trade unless part of a huge deal featuring a legit top center (for example, an extended Tavares)

What would you guys say? To be honest, I could keep second guessing and flipping any of the top 3 but I'm going with that.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Some moron on the trade board posted a confirmed trade thread about ROR to STL. They did not remove that thread soon enough. I about had a heart attack. He followed it up with Ekman-Larson to TOR. Perma-ban incoming?

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Thompson is the first one I would move. I echo your sentiments regarding Thomas. In terms of willingness to trade for me it is:

1)Thompson
2)Kyrou
3)Kostin
4)Thomas

...with Barbashev/Schmaltz/Blais etc. all being vastly preferable to move in a deal. But, I also understand those guys aren't as valuable.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Thompson is who I move. Kostin and Kyrou have more gamebreaking talent, and Thomas isn’t going anywhere. Walman could be made available, but I think he stays due to organizational need. Personally, I want to push Blais as much as possible and see how far we can get with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad