Blues Trade Proposals 2021-2022 Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Trading Parayko ATM would be a complete and utter disaster. Especially when there isn't a RHD on par or better than him available. We trade him and we'd go into next season with Faulk-Bortuzzo-Santani as our RHD depth.

Reactions: Blueswin

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Trading Parayko ATM would be a complete and utter disaster. Especially when there isn't a RHD on par or better than him available. We trade him and we'd go into next season with Faulk-Bortuzzo-Santani as our RHD depth.
to IA's point, he did say a better dman (more of a prototypical 1d) would be brought in

now, who that would be was still up in the air

excuse me if I've misread that or misquoted it

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Still think Mikkola could grow, and two more years of Scandella and that ass contract.
I know it may not be the popular opinion, but Scandella right now is better than Mikkola. Matter of fact, right before he got hurt near the end of the season, he was playing some darn good defence

I get wanting to get out from under the contract, but if you replace him with Mikkola (which I'm still high on) weakens the D... just my opinion

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
The eye test has never failed more than Blues fans watching Nick Leddy. That was a horrific extension.

I love being optimistic but let me bring you down to reality.

We had 9 20 goal scorers, an unheard of amount. We were already due for regression to the mean before losing one of the highest volume shooters on the team in Perron. Barbashev and Kyrou are the likeliest options for regression and if Kyrou ain’t scoring, he is actively hurting you.

But it goes beyond that. We were told the window is now right? That’s why we signed Schenn to an inexplicable 8 year contract (that likely forces out ROR btw) to keep the cap number down right?

If the window is now, then you go get a superstar when he’s available regardless of the cost. There’s nothing on this roster that should have been off limits, with the possible exception of Robert Thomas.

We didn’t do that and to be fair, there probably wasn’t anything that could have been done with the offer Florida brilliantly offered. Two high end players but not as good as Tkachuk on expiring deals? Fantastic job by Florida
A few things:

1. If Armstrong wants ROR and is willing to pay him, he'll stay here. Schenn's contract has no bearing on that.

2. Giving up the necessary assets for MT would make this team even further from contending. The issue is on defense(which honestly isn't that bad but is flawed collectively with how the top 4 is assembled). We complain about losing Perron and how that impacts depth. Well, acquiring MT would have meant losing likely one of Tarasenko/Kyrou (if not both) and likely one of Bolduc/Neighbours. That's losing at least 2 members of your top 9, if not 3, for MT, in addition to having already lost a player who will likely be better than Bolduc/Neighbours next season.

Trading for MT would be the Ryan Miller trade 2.0, except having lasting ramifications on the roster that the Miller trade(fortunately) didn't have.
I will go on record as saying I'm underwhelmed with this offseason because Armstrong placed a band-aid on the top 4 with Leddy, but aside from acquiring a top 4 D, I don't know what more he could have done aside from keeping Perron, move Barbashev or Tarasenko for future picks or prospects, or signed another option to backup Binnington for 1 year.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Tkachuk signed long term for lots of real world cash because he knew his chances of repeating last season's performance were near zero. Who could have seen that coming?

This is the weirdest take lmao. Star players tend to sign long term contracts for big money. He's about to be on Barkov's wing for 8 years, he'll be fine.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
We didn't really get to see what this defense group could do yet, Krug and Leddy dressed maybe a few games in the same lineup and NONE against the Avs.

This is correct. Krug and Leddy played only 9 full regular season games together and 2 full playoff games together. In the majority of those games, Krug was eased back into the lineup on the 3rd pairing. I'd like to see,

Krug Parayko
Leddy Faulk

This is a lot better on paper than what people here have been giving credit for. In Carolina, they have a similar group.

Slavin Burns
Skjei Pesce

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I mean I hope you guys are right obviously but I have no idea how you any of you like signing Leddy for that length knowing you’ve already overpaid in term and cap on two other top 4 defenseman that aren’t top pairing defensemen in Krug and Parayko.

It’s meaningless to continue discussing it. You guys saw one thing, that stat guys, analytics, and I saw something very different.

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
I mean I hope you guys are right obviously but I have no idea how you any of you like signing Leddy for that length knowing you’ve already overpaid in term and cap on two other top 4 defenseman that aren’t top pairing defensemen in Krug and Parayko.

It’s meaningless to continue discussing it. You guys saw one thing, that stat guys, analytics, and I saw something very different.
I don't follow the logic how trading Kyrou or Tarasenko, as well as one of Bolduc or Neighbours, makes the Blues a better team today or in the future.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I don't follow the logic how trading Kyrou or Tarasenko, as well as one of Bolduc or Neighbours, makes the Blues a better team today or in the future.

Here’s my logic

-Tarasenko is walking in a year
-Kyrou I don’t believe in
-Tkachuk is a top 10 player in the league
-One of Bolduc or Neighbours can be overcome
-The team already wasn’t good enough before we lost Perron and doing nothing is the definition of insanity if we expect a different result

Reactions: Dougs Burner

Linkens Mastery

Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Here’s my logic

So you believe that Tkachuk, who before last year never once scored at over a point per game in 5 seasons and was on one of the most deadly lines in the NHL when each player on that line was a PPG, is less of a Fluke than Kyrou who was close to a PPG 25 games into his first full season before hitting a massive freshman wall, and then went a PPG his second full NHL season?

Reactions: BlueMed

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
Here’s my logic

-The team already wasn’t good enough before we lost Perron and doing nothing is the definition of insanity if we expect a different result
Tkachuk is still only one player and trading both Tarasenko AND Kyrou still creates another hole for this season (not talking about how it could impact future seasons) in the top 9. And that's already with Perron leaving.

You have every right to be skeptical of Kyrou's performance, but do you think MT will put up 100+ points consistently, especially without Gaudreau? Because I don't. I also don't think MT is a top 10 player in the league.

Top of my head, here's who I'd take over him (no order):
-Matthews
-McDavid
-Makar
-MacKinnon
-Draisaitl
-Kaprizov
-Vasilevskiy
-Shesterkin
-Gaudreau
-Kucherov

If Tkachuk was a defenseman, I could understand the logic, but he isn't, so I don't agree or follow it at all.

• Haha
Reactions: BlueMed

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
Here’s my logic

McDavid, Drasaitl, MacKinnon, Makar, Matthews, Barkov, Kaprizov, Hedman, Point, Kane, Ovechkin, Crosby, Fox, Vasilevskiy, Kucherov, Heiskanen, Shesterkin, Hughes.

I just named 18 players off the top of my head who are markedly better than Tkachuk. Having 1 season over PPG while playing on the hottest line in hockey during the regular season doesn't catapult him into the top 10, unless youre the delusional GM of Florida who called him a "generational talent." :laugh:

PJJJP

Dec 2, 2021
On Cap friendly Weegar is listed as a LD/RD. I wonder if one of their D might be available now. Maybe Kylington could be available?

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Zito really said "generational talent"? lol

If by "generational talent" he means Fruity Pebble-eating obnoxoid, then he nailed it.

Those Tkachuk boys have been raised on a steady diet of rocks.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I love how people are on the same page about our defense needing improved but some are still advocating paying up for MT. Whatever assets the blues have comparable to that FLA package would have been a complete waste in a trade for a winger. I don’t care who that winger is. Whatever “currency” (please slap me for using that term) the blues have to spend should not be wasted at Forward unless there is some young stud center available that I’m unaware about.

We have 6 D signed for $1.9M or more plus Bortuzzo who will get playing time despite a cheap salary. 5 D are signed at top 4 money. Of those 5, 4 have full NTCs. The 5th has a tough to swallow cap hit and a partial NTC to block most of the teams who are willing to be paid to take bad contracts. We don't have room to bring in another D and it won't be easy to make the room or cap without killing our forward depth even more.

We made our move to improve our D. We signed Leddy. We are stuck with what we have on D, unless Krug is willing to waive or we can move Scandella. We explored both options and nothing came of it, so it was probably cost prohibitive for Armstrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vladys Gumption

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
During the regular season.
I don't know, but I do know MT is player who should be made for the playoffs style of hockey. How nasty he plays the game, he could really turn up Florida's game, team hunger for Cup.

I have always thinked Tarasenko would had been best fit for Barkov. Something similar vs Lehterä - Tarasenko + Barkov is insanely different level then Lehterä.

Linkens Mastery

Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I don't know, but I do know MT is player who should be made for the playoffs style of hockey. How nasty he plays the game, he could really turn up Florida's game, team hunger for Cup.

I have always thinked Tarasenko would had been best fit for Barkov. Something similar vs Lehterä - Tarasenko + Barkov is insanely different level then Lehterä.
Is that why MT can't play in the Playoffs to save his life? He has a couple good games here or there but he is a ghost 65-75% of the others.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Who even has a top 4 RHD available? Tyler Myers? Is he even better than Parayko? We can't just throw a bunch of assets at a random team and tell them "gimme your top RHD right now".
Well, no shit.

If there was an easy or obvious solution, I would’ve provided one. But that doesn’t preclude me from viewing our D as a whole as not to the level needed to win a Cup and that the problem is that a couple of our top paid guys would likely need to be upgraded to get to that level.

At this point, I will simply copy and paste what I said earlier: That of course, is much easier said than done, which is the problem.

Reactions: Vladys Gumption

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
So you believe that Tkachuk, who before last year never once scored at over a point per game in 5 seasons and was on one of the most deadly lines in the NHL when each player on that line was a PPG, is less of a Fluke than Kyrou who was close to a PPG 25 games into his first full season before hitting a massive freshman wall, and then went a PPG his second full NHL season?

Correct

Tkachuk is still only one player and trading both Tarasenko AND Kyrou still creates another hole for this season (not talking about how it could impact future seasons) in the top 9. And that's already with Perron leaving.

You have every right to be skeptical of Kyrou's performance, but do you think MT will put up 100+ points consistently, especially without Gaudreau? Because I don't. I also don't think MT is a top 10 player in the league.

Top of my head, here's who I'd take over him (no order):
-Matthews
-McDavid
-Makar
-MacKinnon
-Draisaitl
-Kaprizov
-Vasilevskiy
-Shesterkin
-Gaudreau
-Kucherov

If Tkachuk was a defenseman, I could understand the logic, but he isn't, so I don't agree or follow it at all.

McDavid, Drasaitl, MacKinnon, Makar, Matthews, Barkov, Kaprizov, Hedman, Point, Kane, Ovechkin, Crosby, Fox, Vasilevskiy, Kucherov, Heiskanen, Shesterkin, Hughes.

I just named 18 players off the top of my head who are markedly better than Tkachuk. Having 1 season over PPG while playing on the hottest line in hockey during the regular season doesn't catapult him into the top 10, unless youre the delusional GM of Florida who called him a "generational talent." :laugh:

I’m not sure how analytics fly here, but here’s his chart:

His projected win value for next year (which is down 1.3 from what he was worth last year so it’s not a pie in the sky number) comes in around 8th in the league.

I’d go through the individual lists you guys posted and tell you with whom I disagree but it hardly feels like an exercise worth partaking in because it doesn’t go anywhere.

Somewhere along the line, Matthew Tkachuk the potential hometown hero overshadowed Matthew Tkachuk, the superstar player and now the first part is what’s being focused on in the “we’re better off without him” camp

Reactions: Ranksu

Zezel’s Pretzels

May 25, 2019
I know it may not be the popular opinion, but Scandella right now is better than Mikkola. Matter of fact, right before he got hurt near the end of the season, he was playing some darn good defence

I get wanting to get out from under the contract, but if you replace him with Mikkola (which I'm still high on) weakens the D... just my opinion
Fair enough, the reality is that we have 8 defensemen, and one needs to go unless we go 13/8/2

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I think the team is set. Army likes having extra defenders. We’ve seen the past couple years you better have at least 8 nhl caliber ones.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad