Blues Trade Proposals 2021-2022 Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
As others have stated, we couldn’t match that offer, and glad we didn’t do something stupid like trade Kyrou.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Does anyone think Florida’s package was so big because they had to outbid a good package from Armstrong? They had to be bidding against someone.

Tkachuk at 9.5M would have been disruptive, but it’s the right years of his career to make that gamble on. I would have been cautiously optimistic with that. But add in a large price in trade and my enthusiasm goes down a lot. I’m glad St Louis didn‘t lose something like that.

I think Calgary getting That 2025 pick (is there protection?) is a mixed blessing for them. Too far out to help for a long time, but has potential to be a lottery pick since a lot can happen by then.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Does anyone think Florida’s package was so big because they had to outbid a good package from Armstrong? They had to be bidding against someone.

Tkachuk at 9.5M would have been disruptive, but it’s the right years of his career to make that gamble on. I would have been cautiously optimistic with that. But add in a large price in trade and my enthusiasm goes down a lot. I’m glad St Louis didn‘t lose something like that.

I think Calgary getting That 2025 pick (is there protection?) is a mixed blessing for them. Too far out to help for a long time, but has potential to be a lottery pick since a lot can happen by then.
Sounds like it was a three way race between Florida, Carolina, and STL.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017

Clearly there were other suitors out there, and I bet Armstrong kicked some tires along with some other GMs. The only reason Florida was in is the fact that Hubie, and to a lesser extent Weegar, only have 1 year left and they likely knew both weren't in their long term plans. I'm sure they would have kept Hubie for this season but they jumped at the chance to replace him right now when the opportunity presented itself.

ValHaller

May 23, 2022
St. Louis, MO
Tkachuk signed long term for lots of real world cash because he knew his chances of repeating last season's performance were near zero. Who could have seen that coming?

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
We better hope Neighbors and Bolduc are legitimate top 6 players in the next couple years

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Now assuming ROR wants to stay, extend him for 4-5 years. 4 x 7.5 or 5 x 7, something like that. Still the most critical playoff performer. Never quits, competes, pushes himself. That locks in the top two centers as Thomas/ROR, a competitive spine. If they are planning to put Bolduc at center then he's the current in house option to eventually supplant ROR.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
We better hope Neighbors and Bolduc are legitimate top 6 players in the next couple years
Why wouldn't we just wait and find out?

We've drafted wingers with our last three 1st's so it would behoove us to stay the course and continue to try and find the right mix on defense. We need any disposable trade chips available for when that opportunity presents which it will eventually. Let Bill sweat over there in AZ for awhile and for other situations to develop then pounce when the timing is right.

Reactions: stl76

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
The eye test has never failed more than Blues fans watching Nick Leddy. That was a horrific extension.

I love being optimistic but let me bring you down to reality.

We had 9 20 goal scorers, an unheard of amount. We were already due for regression to the mean before losing one of the highest volume shooters on the team in Perron. Barbashev and Kyrou are the likeliest options for regression and if Kyrou ain’t scoring, he is actively hurting you.

But it goes beyond that. We were told the window is now right? That’s why we signed Schenn to an inexplicable 8 year contract (that likely forces out ROR btw) to keep the cap number down right?

If the window is now, then you go get a superstar when he’s available regardless of the cost. There’s nothing on this roster that should have been off limits, with the possible exception of Robert Thomas.

We didn’t do that and to be fair, there probably wasn’t anything that could have been done with the offer Florida brilliantly offered. Two high end players but not as good as Tkachuk on expiring deals? Fantastic job by Florida
So…you say the Blues should’ve done whatever they had to to get MT but then also admit they couldn’t really have beaten FLA’s offer. Do you see how that’s nonsensical?

MT would’ve been nice but not at the expense of decimating the team. Good on Army for passing. Huberdeau didn’t have CGY on his M-NTC list so they didn’t have the NTC restrictions the Blues had.

As for your comments on Leddy, I’ll respectfully disagree. He’s a solid top-4 d-man IMO. And this isn’t the same top-4 we had last season. It’s the same top-4 we had after the trade deadline…which was much better than what we had all season up until that point. So Leddy really helped solidify the top-4.

That said, I’d agree the Blues D as is likely isn’t quite good enough to win a Cup. But the problem isn’t Leddy making $4M. It’s the guys making $6.5M. Actually, Faulk at that price is just fine but not Parayko or Krug. Both of those contacts are set up to look very bad in a few years, especially Parayko’s. We’re only a couple weeks into Parayko’s 8-year extension. Woof.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
They are in tight on cap. Guess they figured weegar and huberdeau woulda cost more and they couldn’t afford.
maybe... FLA figures a Hub extension looks just like the MT extension and they get MT's prime years instead of Hubs mid-30's years

maybe.. dunno.. Hub is a pretty darn good player

Reactions: Blueston

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
The eye test has never failed more than Blues fans watching Nick Leddy. That was a horrific extension.

I love being optimistic but let me bring you down to reality.

We had 9 20 goal scorers, an unheard of amount. We were already due for regression to the mean before losing one of the highest volume shooters on the team in Perron. Barbashev and Kyrou are the likeliest options for regression and if Kyrou ain’t scoring, he is actively hurting you.

But it goes beyond that. We were told the window is now right? That’s why we signed Schenn to an inexplicable 8 year contract (that likely forces out ROR btw) to keep the cap number down right?

If the window is now, then you go get a superstar when he’s available regardless of the cost. There’s nothing on this roster that should have been off limits, with the possible exception of Robert Thomas.

We didn’t do that and to be fair, there probably wasn’t anything that could have been done with the offer Florida brilliantly offered. Two high end players but not as good as Tkachuk on expiring deals? Fantastic job by Florida

You're literally promoting irrationality by intentionally ignoring cost. And Nick Leddy was a very solid top 4 defenseman who played quite well against Kaprisov and MacKinnon, all things considered.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
So…you say the Blues should’ve done whatever they had to to get MT but then also admit they couldn’t really have beaten FLA’s offer. Do you see how that’s nonsensical?

MT would’ve been nice but not at the expense of decimating the team. Good on Army for passing. Huberdeau didn’t have CGY on his M-NTC list so they didn’t have the NTC restrictions the Blues had.

As for your comments on Leddy, I’ll respectfully disagree. He’s a solid top-4 d-man IMO. And this isn’t the same top-4 we had last season. It’s the same top-4 we had after the trade deadline…which was much better than what we had all season up until that point. So Leddy really helped solidify the top-4.

That said, I’d agree the Blues D as is likely isn’t quite good enough to win a Cup. But the problem isn’t Leddy making $4M. It’s the guys making $6.5M. Actually, Faulk at that price is just fine but not Parayko or Krug. Both of those contacts are set up to look very bad in a few years, especially Parayko’s. We’re only a couple weeks into Parayko’s 8-year extension. Woof.
have to agree and disagree

we've seen what this team looks like without Parayko, and it's not good.. at all

I get that folks have higher expectations from the guy, but he's pretty darn good and eats a ton of tough time on ice

now Krug.. you have a good point. agree, I don't think that contract is gonna age well.. at all

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
Now that the Tkachuk saga is permanently over, I can go back to sulking about Perron.

Easily one of Armstrong's worst offseasons.

This forum is hard to read sometimes. Everyone continues to expect an improved roster during every off-season, but you have to play chess in a cap world and there will certainly be moments you lose key pieces. It's inevitable and part of the game, really. However, sometimes losing less pieces than your opponents is the key to gaining a relative advantage, and the fact that most fans cannot see this reality is getting annoying at this point.

Also, people continue to gripe about the defense. It's a top 6-10 defense. Couple that with a top 5 offense and a clutch goaltender with an ability to play the puck and we might have Colorado's kryptonite as long as Kadri signs elsewhere.

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
“He’s still young.”

He’s like 5 months younger than Tkachuk and nowhere near the level of player. We couldn’t even trust him to play second line consistently.

You win with depth or superstars. Our depth is eroding and we missed our shot at a superstar
Just because MT is young does not take away anything about my point about Kyrou. I was just calling out your fluke comment. Was Matthew’s year also a “fluke”?

So what are you offering for this superstar? ROR+?

Reactions: Louie the Blue

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
have to agree and disagree

we've seen what this team looks like without Parayko, and it's not good.. at all

I get that folks have higher expectations from the guy, but he's pretty darn good and eats a ton of tough time on ice

now Krug.. you have a good point. agree, I don't think that contract is gonna age well.. at all
I would never advocate that the team would be better by simply losing Parayko for nothing. He’s a good player, just not worth $6.5M for the next 8 years. What I’m advocating for is better d-men in place of Parayko and Krug. Or at least upgrading one of them.

That of course, is much easier said than done, which is the problem.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
I would never advocate that the team would be better by simply losing Parayko for nothing. He’s a good player, just not worth $6.5M for the next 8 years. What I’m advocating for is better d-men in place of Parayko and Krug. Or at least upgrading one of them.

Can I ask you how you feel about Jaccob Slavin?

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule

Who even has a top 4 RHD available? Tyler Myers? Is he even better than Parayko? We can't just throw a bunch of assets at a random team and tell them "gimme your top RHD right now".

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
This forum is hard to read sometimes. Everyone continues to expect an improved roster during every off-season, but you have to play chess in a cap world and there will certainly be moments you lose key pieces. It's inevitable and part of the game, really. However, sometimes losing less pieces than your opponents is the key to gaining a relative advantage, and the fact that most fans cannot see this reality is getting annoying at this point.

Also, people continue to gripe about the defense. It's a top 6-10 defense. Couple that with a top 5 offense and a clutch goaltender with an ability to play the puck and we might have Colorado's kryptonite as long as Kadri signs elsewhere.
When I look at what happened in the rest of the Western Conference, I think the Blues are in better position going into the season than they were going into last season. No team that was a conference contender got better, unless you want to argue Vegas...but they look like a flawed team to me.

They need Binnington to be average during the regular season, and hopefully will again show he has a competitor's fire in the post-season.

They need Neighbors to prove he's worthy of a Top 9 spot.

They need to the defensive pairings to mesh. But indications last season after the trade deadline were positive.

They may yet trade out a defensive depth player to make the Cap work with a full roster, or they'll have IR players not be replaced (like Toropchenko) and go with a 22 man roster.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021

yup, agree again. problem is.. who's the better dman coming back, and what does he cost?

and honestly, 6.5 for parayko is a good deal imo

his biggest problem is he plays better with better partners (ie.. can't carry the load himself)
hopefully Leddy (or heck, even Krug) will be that calming influence on him

unfortunately, his time with JBo spoiled us (myself included)

anyone else finding it wierd how much Gunny is missed?

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
I love how people are on the same page about our defense needing improved but some are still advocating paying up for MT. Whatever assets the blues have comparable to that FLA package would have been a complete waste in a trade for a winger. I don’t care who that winger is. Whatever “currency” (please slap me for using that term) the blues have to spend should not be wasted at Forward unless there is some young stud center available that I’m unaware about.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
I love how people are on the same page about our defense needing improved but some are still advocating paying up for MT. Whatever assets the blues have comparable to that FLA package would have been a complete waste in a trade for a winger. I don’t care who that winger is. Whatever “currency” (please slap me for using that term) the blues have to spend should not be wasted at Forward unless there is some young stud center available that I’m unaware about.
think it's more of the 'opportunity' to get a highly skilled PF in his prime, which is extremely rare. Winger or no, those don't hit the market very often. Great hands, physical, 200' game, decent skater (ie, not a plodder. see: Maroon, Pat)
so maybe the thought is, get this guy, and figure the backend out later.

is that optimal? prolly not. just explaining the mindset

ymmv

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad