Confirmed with Link: Blues trade Lehtera, 2017 1st & Cond. 2018 1st for Brayden Schenn

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Was that a Chris Butler-Pietro pairing sighting and a Kane getting laid out video at the same time? God how could this video get better? :laugh:

I stand corrected 25 was Chris Stewart don't know why I thought it was Butler lol... been a long day.

Was that Colaiacovo?!

I love every time this thread gets bumped and I read, "Confirmed with Link: Blues trade Lehtera, blah blah blah"

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Sounds like Schenn is excited about playing Center. hopefully he grabs the reigns and runs with it.

He's always been extremely vocal about wanting to play center, so I'm certain he's excited to get the chance. But he's just not a center at this level, imo.

From the video, Schenn has only missed 4 games in 4 years. This is the perfect test to see if our players are made of glass or if the team is cursed. Does he sustain a season-ending injury due to a freak fall in practice? Does he break a shoulder riding the stationary bike during the off-season? Will he be a funny gif of his face pressed against the glass? Or can he actually be a Blues player who stays healthy?

No doubt in my mind that he will suffer 3-4 completely unrelated 10-20 game injuries over his time as a Blue.

It's 5 missed games, but I believe they were all healthy scratch or suspension. In fact, I don't know that Schenn has ever missed a game due to injury as a Flyer. So, if he gets injured there's clearly a curse in St. Louis.

But it won't happen because Schenn is indestructible and no mere curse is going to change that. And it's not because Schenn is slippery and doesn't get hit. Schenn gets tagged on the regular with hits that would end a normal human being's career and most likely their ability to feed themselves, but bounces back up like nothing happened.

He will make some borderline hits. He'll also drop the gloves but the end result of that is usually Schenn eating a lot of fist.

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
It's funny, some in the fanbase have been saying for years that we needed to tank, get a top 5 draft pick and use it on a center.

In a roundabout way, that came to fruition. :nod:

Reactions: PiggySmalls

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
By this point you guys have seen a plenty of schenn. What is your honest assessment of his game? I'm really interested to know what you make of his play.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
By this point you guys have seen a plenty of schenn. What is your honest assessment of his game? I'm really interested to know what you make of his play.
I'm happy with it. He's a good #2 center. He's good offensively, drives the play pretty well, has produced at even strength for us, and plays with an edge and physicality that we need in our top 6.

Of course he makes some bonehead plays sometime, but it's not a huge deal.

Only thing for us will be we need to find out this Summer if he wants to re-sign here. If he doesn't, we'd have to move him for assets. Unfortunately, we have sucked both years he's been here so he may want to test the market. We'll see.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I'd be happy if they re-sign him. Although with the addition of O'Reilly and emergence of Thomas, its possible the Blues trade Schenn and keep Bozak for 3C. There is a bit of a log-jam if none of those guys plays wing. Personally, I'd rather move Bozak and keep Schenn.

I like Schenn's game. He has a great attitude and has shown leadership I didn't expect before the trade. I'll be surprised if he doesn't want to re-sign in St Louis, if the team gets things ironed out and look like a playoff team. I know Schenn thought they'd be a contender (said something about Top 5 team after the O'Reilly trade).

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
He's better than I hoped and I was pretty pumped about the trade from the jump. He was our best player last year. He hasn't been as good this year but has still put up points at t apace that would tie for his 2nd best career season despite being stapled to a really snake-bitten Schwartz. He is a really good all around player and at times seems the only one aside from ROR playing with intensity and drive on our team. I'd say his skill set is well-above average in almost all tools. Iq may be a bit lower. He has good instincts though, just makes bone-head plays at times. Its his drive and fire that set him apart though. Which sucks as the team doesn't seem to follow suit. I'd be very disappointed if we can't re-sign him. I get where everyone is coming from doubting it with us not being competitive his whole time here. But we did let him play C which is hugely important to him. Also he is a foodie and StL has some unique food offerings. So let's hope playing Center and eating Toasted Rav and Ted Drewes is enough to lure him back.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
He's better than I hoped and I was pretty pumped about the trade from the jump. He was our best player last year. He hasn't been as good this year but has still put up points at t apace that would tie for his 2nd best career season despite being stapled to a really snake-bitten Schwartz. He is a really good all around player and at times seems the only one aside from ROR playing with intensity and drive on our team. I'd say his skill set is well-above average in almost all tools. Iq may be a bit lower. He has good instincts though, just makes bone-head plays at times. Its his drive and fire that set him apart though. Which sucks as the team doesn't seem to follow suit. I'd be very disappointed if we can't re-sign him. I get where everyone is coming from doubting it with us not being competitive his whole time here. But we did let him play C which is hugely important to him. Also he is a foodie and StL has some unique food offerings. So let's hope playing Center and eating Toasted Rav and Ted Drewes is enough to lure him back.
I was with you right up until the food comments. Also not sure how important the C spot is to him, other than it being a preference. But I've lived in about a dozen cities around the country and St Louis was the most disappointing for local dining. If that's what we're counting on for enticing Schenn, we're screwed.

Reactions: Blueston

blueper

Mar 29, 2012
We need more players like him. He plays hard and isn't intimidated by anyone. He's definitely not the problem. His contract is up at the same time as Pietrangelo. I would rather move Pietrangelo than Schenn if one goes.
Yes. We need top pairing Dmen. But Schenn will live up to his next contract better than Petro will IMO.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I was with you right up until the food comments. Also not sure how important the C spot is to him, other than it being a preference. But I've lived in about a dozen cities around the country and St Louis was the most disappointing for local dining. If that's what we're counting on for enticing Schenn, we're screwed.

The food comment was a tongue in cheek addition. I didn't seriously think that would sway him. It was more like, "we may suck and have no cap room....but, umm, we will give him first choice on his plane seat...and ummm...unlimited T-Rav and Imos :sarcasm:" Even the C comment was slightly sarcastic as well. There are other teams that will play him at Center given he proved he can excel there with us.

I have lived in half a dozen major cities and visited many more. I will say, NY aside, the Hill can go head to head with most cities for Italian. I'll admit I haven't spent much time on the west coast, so I'm unsure if LA can compete. But I'll take Cunetto's over Italian found in Chicago, Tampa, Nashville, Miami, Columbus, Pittsburgh, and Carolina (haven't spent much time on the West coast). I grew up on that style of Italian though, so I may be biased. That's it though. Every other type of food, I agree with you. St. Louis may not be bad bad, but there are multiple NHL cities with better.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
I think it's safe to say he's solidified himself as a top-6 center, which is exactly what the Blues traded him for, so I can't complain.

The 70 point season will probably end up being an anomaly for the rest of his career. But after the massive hot-streak he had at the beginning of the season, he still maintained his career average in points at center. If he can contribute 50+ points a season at center, then that trade is huge success. But even if he moves to the wing while putting up the same amount of points, then I still wouldn't have much to complain about with the trade.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
The food comment was a tongue in cheek addition. I didn't seriously think that would sway him. It was more like, "we may suck and have no cap room....but, umm, we will give him first choice on his plane seat...and ummm...unlimited T-Rav and Imos :sarcasm:" Even the C comment was slightly sarcastic as well. There are other teams that will play him at Center given he proved he can excel there with us.

I have lived in half a dozen major cities and visited many more. I will say, NY aside, the Hill can go head to head with most cities for Italian. I'll admit I haven't spent much time on the west coast, so I'm unsure if LA can compete. But I'll take Cunetto's over Italian found in Chicago, Tampa, Nashville, Miami, Columbus, Pittsburgh, and Carolina (haven't spent much time on the West coast). I grew up on that style of Italian though, so I may be biased. That's it though. Every other type of food, I agree with you. St. Louis may not be bad bad, but there are multiple NHL cities with better.
(Not a serious conversation from my side.) I lived in The Hill when I lived in St Louis. Personally, I found it over-rated and disappointing after hearing so many great reports. I found a couple good sandwich and deli shop type places, but for the evening dining it was not what I'd hoped for. Italian food is not really my favorite thing anyway, but after a while I just stopped eating at places around my house.

Ted Drewes is great.

I don't get toasted ravioli. Its a decent appetizer, but how is that anyone's claim to fame? Its like bragging about perfecting peanut butter sandwiches. "OK....good for you."

At least you had the dignity not to mention pizza. :)

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
I love having Schenn on our team. Personally, I’d love to try and keep him despite having O’Reilly/Thomas/Bozak. With Seattle now apparently having their arena ready for the 2020 season, I truly think Bozak will be the one we send there. Being able to run a 1-2-3 of O’Reilly/Schenn/Thomas will be huge, as that will just end up being a matchup nightmare.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Will Schenn even want to stay here? I'd say the changes, or lack of, over the next year will probably answer that.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
(Not a serious conversation from my side.) I lived in The Hill when I lived in St Louis. Personally, I found it over-rated and disappointing after hearing so many great reports. I found a couple good sandwich and deli shop type places, but for the evening dining it was not what I'd hoped for. Italian food is not really my favorite thing anyway, but after a while I just stopped eating at places around my house.

Ted Drewes is great.

I don't get toasted ravioli. Its a decent appetizer, but how is that anyone's claim to fame? Its like bragging about perfecting peanut butter sandwiches. "OK....good for you."

How long has it been since you lived there? I would say that in the last 5 years there are a bunch of high quality restaurants that have opened in and around the city. There are enough now that you can cycle through them and not be eating at any one too frequently.

I don’t live there anymore, but I would say that it has a high number of quality places compared to similar sized cities. In comparison to large cities it doesn’t have as many. But, the food is much more affordable for a comparable meal in STL compared to say NYC or CHI.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Will Schenn even want to stay here? I'd say the changes, or lack of, over the next year will probably answer that.

I think it’ll be a situation where he’s gonna wait it out, depending on how we finish the season. While we all got super excited for this season, we all talked about how next year’s team is when we should start becoming a dominant team. The prospect pool will be be a year more experienced, and we should have a few unproductive vets not on the team.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
How long has it been since you lived there? I would say that in the last 5 years there are a bunch of high quality restaurants that have opened in and around the city. There are enough now that you can cycle through them and not be eating at any one too frequently.

I don’t live there anymore, but I would say that it has a high number of quality places compared to similar sized cities. In comparison to large cities it doesn’t have as many. But, the food is much more affordable for a comparable meal in STL compared to say NYC or CHI.
Yeah, I moved away from STL and am not really a big fan of the city, but I do think the food there is pretty good and underrated. You can find good spots for every type of food, whether it's Vietnamese, Italian, BBQ, whatever.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN

More than 10 years now. Maybe it’s improved. I hope so.

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018

Ted Drewes is great.

Eovaldi's deli is the best place (and only good place) on the Hill in my opinion. The rest of it is overrated and/or over priced. There's better Italian food out in the suburbs and it costs half as much and typically has bigger portions.

Also, since Gianinos closed the best Toasted Ravioli in the city is actually at Elicia's Pizza, and its cheap as hell too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad