Blues Sign Wade Redden (1 year, $800K)

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
No he hasn't. How Cole became the new whipping boy is strange to say the least. Cole needs to play in a string of games to get his pace down, hes still a young player. Hes not a 10 yr vet who can be effective playing every 3rd game. He needs to play ALOT this year so the Blues can get a legitimate read on what kind of player he is and what he could become.

As far as him being "sent" down, its strictly a roster juggle by activating Redden and while the Blues wait for Woywitka to clear waivers they near to clear a roster spot. Once Woywitka clears/gets claimed, then Cole will be back with the Blues. Nothing more, nothing less.

Just because he's young and not a vet does not give him any excuse to not play well. In my opinion, he has not played well. If your on an NHL team like the blues who are in a playoff chase, you cannot afford to have players on your roster that you are "trying to get a read on." You need to have players that will play well, and so far, Cole hasn't.

Got One Cup

Jun 3, 2008
Cole sent down to PEO

So heard he was sent down and I'm assuming Redden will get a shot. I thought he was playing pretty good, don't think he was hurting the team. Hope this doesn't mess with his head and he gets some motivation from it.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
What's your source? He was assigned to Peoria as a bookkeeping deal until Woywitka clears waivers, but he's not expected to be going. He'll be on the Blues roster. It remains to be seen where Redden fits in and whether Cole's playing time is in jeopardy. I won't be surprised if Redden starts tonight instead of Cole, but after that we'll see.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
What's your source? He was assigned to Peoria as a bookkeeping deal until Woywitka clears waivers, but he's not expected to be going. He'll be on the Blues roster. It remains to be seen where Redden fits in and whether Cole's playing time is in jeopardy. I won't be surprised if Redden starts tonight instead of Cole, but after that we'll see.

Yeah, he's not going anywhere. It's just a formality to make sure we don't have too many guys on the roster at this point. Once Woywitka clears waivers, we'll "recall" Cole. Even if he doesn't clear waivers, Cole is staying in St. Louis. I assume the only thing this changes for Cole is that he can't skate with the team until Woywitka clears.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
Been a fan of Redden since his Wheat King days.

Hope he has a great debut tonight, and strong season for the Blues, and makes the other 28 teams that passed on him look like fools (even my Jets) !

:yo:

sh724

Jun 2, 2009
Missouri
Been a fan of Redden since his Wheat King days.

Hope he has a great debut tonight, and strong season for the Blues, and makes the other 28 teams that passed on him look like fools (even my Jets) !

:yo:

28 teams did not pass on him, he had offers from other teams but he chose to come to STL

JustOneB4IDie

Duel Cancer Survivor
Jan 31, 2011
Imperial, Missouri
Yeah, he's not going anywhere. It's just a formality to make sure we don't have too many guys on the roster at this point. Once Woywitka clears waivers, we'll "recall" Cole. Even if he doesn't clear waivers, Cole is staying in St. Louis. I assume the only thing this changes for Cole is that he can't skate with the team until Woywitka clears.

This.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Cole was actually assigned to Peoria yesterday and has already been put back on the Blues roster. It was only a paper move to stay in compliance with the 23-man roster rule and Cole never actually left STL. When they activated Redden yesterday, someone had to leave the 23-man roster to make room for Redden and since it takes 24 hours to clear waivers (and a player is still on the roster until he clears waivers and can thus be assigned to the minors), Cole was sent to Peoria just on paper while they waited the 24 hours for Woywitka’s waiver process.

For those that didn’t notice, Schwartz was assigned to Peoria the day before the season opener while Porter cleared waivers and then the next day, 11 am of the season opener, Schwartz was recalled. Again, it was only a paper move and Schwartz never left. I was surprised I didn’t see a “Schwartz sent to Peoria!!!??!†thread a week ago. ;)

Got One Cup

Jun 3, 2008
Oh I did not know he was put back on the blues roster already, I just heard it on 1120 that e was sent down. It will be interesting to see what Redden has left, I really don't see him being better than Cole with being outfit he NHL for so long. We shall see tonight I guess.

DoubleDose86

Nov 23, 2010
Toronto
Hey guys, Leaf fan here just like hearing about comeback stories.

How did Redden look in the game?
What are your expectations of him this year?

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Hey guys, Leaf fan here just like hearing about comeback stories.

How did Redden look in the game?
What are your expectations of him this year?

He was steady and solid. Didn't stick out, which is a good thing IMO. Made the safe play and didn't try to do too much. Played well positionally. I thought he played well.

Longterm, my hope is that he'll be a stabilizing presence and provide depth Nd leadership. Based on one game (a very small sample size to be fair) he seems plenty capable of providing that.

Honeycutt

Jan 18, 2010
Redden made good plays but nothing that really stuck out. If he wants to stick and play over Cole he needs to start making things happen.

I disagree, he just needs to be steady, support Petro so that he do can what he does, which is play Norris quality hockey..

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
I disagree, he just needs to be steady, support Petro so that he do can what he does, which is play Norris quality hockey..

Totally agree with this. If he can just be Petros steady and reliable partner, then Cole may find himself watching Redden play. Redden made the smart conservative play and didn't get hung up or caught out of position. That's all we need Petros partner to be.

Got One Cup

Jun 3, 2008
Redden was much faster than I thought he would be, good positioning too. I'll happily eat some crow if he plays steady like last night all year, only one game but so far not bad at all.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I didn't have a chance to watch Redden as closely as I would have liked due to some moderating responsibilities, but what I saw was steady and unspectacular. Veteran patience and calm, adequate mobility and positioning, good puck management...but no flashes of anything notable in the way of puck skills, passing, vision, physicality, offensive zone play, etc.

Basically, he seems like a fine system defenseman who looks like a good fit here, but he's not a player that's likely to affect the game significantly in a positive or negative fashion any single play. Not that he needs to do that to be an asset to the team.

I didn't see anything that makes me think he's clearly a better option than Cole. He's basically just a different flavor...more experienced and consistent, but less dynamic pretty much all around. Favor whichever appeals to your personal preferences for the position, but I think they're fairly equivalent in terms of average net overall impact on the game.

KA BLAMO

Aug 18, 2008
Sens fan here in peace. I'm glad to hear Redden had a good game for you guys and I hope he keeps it for the rest of the season!

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
His pass on Tarasenko's first goal was pretty nice but that's about all he's created so far this season. Off topic a little but shouldn't Redden get an A on Berglunds PS goal?

No, penalty shot goals are unassisted - also why Jaden Schwartz didn't get an assist.

In other news, it appears as though Redden is in on Saturday.

Honeycutt

Jan 18, 2010
I didn't have a chance to watch Redden as closely as I would have liked due to some moderating responsibilities, but what I saw was steady and unspectacular. Veteran patience and calm, adequate mobility and positioning, good puck management...but no flashes of anything notable in the way of puck skills, passing, vision, physicality, offensive zone play, etc.

Basically, he seems like a fine system defenseman who looks like a good fit here, but he's not a player that's likely to affect the game significantly in a positive or negative fashion any single play. Not that he needs to do that to be an asset to the team.

I didn't see anything that makes me think he's clearly a better option than Cole. He's basically just a different flavor...more experienced and consistent, but less dynamic pretty much all around. Favor whichever appeals to your personal preferences for the position, but I think they're fairly equivalent in terms of average net overall impact on the game.

What i bolded makes him a better option that Cole. Petro does not need a world beater to be his partner.

oPlaiD

Dec 3, 2007
What exactly does Cole make happen?

Penalty kills.

Cole has a high number of penalties for his time on the ice.

Of course Redden had a penalty last night too, but yeah.

Honestly I don't think it makes too much difference which one plays.

ToniJ1960

Feb 18, 2009

I would say if he doesnt push players into our goalies too often.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad