Edit: Contract Details
@jprutherford
Redden's deal with Blues is reportedly $800, 000 pro-rated. #stlblues
@andystrickland
As reported Wade Redden to #stlblues 1 yr $800 cap hit

Last edited:

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I guess we'll see how this works. I wonder if they think he'll take a place in the top 6, or if he'll be in the press box until an injury occurs.

DrVanntastic

Jun 15, 2006
Wentzville, MO
Depending on the salary I'm happy with this. The only reason the guys was playing in the AHL was because his contract was an albatross.

1 year at $800k... I'm on board.

Last edited:

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
The biggest reverberation of this signing for me is that it doesn't say much for how Ian Cole is currently viewed by Hitchcock and Armstrong.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
He was very helpful developing the younger players in Hartford for us. McDonagh specifically mentioned Redden's tutelage on a couple of occasions.

I think he was too slow for the NHL in any capacity three years ago. I can't imagine he's any more mobile now. That said, he seems like a good dude and I wish him well. Hope it works out for you all. :)

Chojin

Tiny Panger...
Apr 6, 2011
The biggest reverberation of this signing for me is that it doesn't say much for how Ian Cole is currently viewed by Hitchcock and Armstrong.

I don't know that it says anything about Cole. There's three scenarios:

A) Cole in top 6, Redden 7th
B) Redden in top 6, Cole 7th
C) Redden in top 6, Woywitka 7th, Cole to Peoria

If it's A, they just want to have stronger defensive depth, and it doesn't say anything about Cole. Otherwise, yeah, it means that Cole hasn't impressed.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I haven't seen Redden play a game in 3 years so I have no idea if this will be a good move or not. I've heard the entire spectrum of what to expect - he's either a scrub who is nowhere near good enough for the NHL anymore to him still being a quality top-4 d-man but just didn't fit into the Rangers plans and cost too much.

Sounds like the Blues really wanted to add some insurance to the left side and I would think that they hoping that eventually, Redden will be the player they can pair with Petro. This pretty much assures that White won't be signed and it looks like Woywitka will likely be heading to Peoria fairly soon as well. Assuming Redden performs well enough (it might take him a week or two to get back up to speed), then I suppose this also likely puts Cole in the 7th spot...but he'll still get his time in as you know Hitch is going to rotate guys in and out of the lineup with such a condensed schedule, not to mention the likely injuries also due to the condensed schedule.

I'm calling it now - Blues beat the Rangers in the Cup Finals with help of Redden as he goes all Superman to get revenge on the Rags. :naughty:

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011

I don't think it says anything about Cole. You look to improve the team, and Redden at $800k is a gamble we would be completely stupid not to take.

I am really happy with the signing.

I don't see Redden playing a full 48 games this season. He's already ruled out of tomorrow home opener. I see 30 games max.

Getting picked up at this stage, he was never going to be in the frame to play tomorrow night.

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
I don't know that it says anything about Cole. There's three scenarios:

A) Cole in top 6, Redden 7th
B) Redden in top 6, Cole 7th
C) Redden in top 6, Woywitka 7th, Cole to Peoria

If it's A, they just want to have stronger defensive depth, and it doesn't say anything about Cole. Otherwise, yeah, it means that Cole hasn't impressed.

This summer was supposed to be another "huge" off-season for Cole (Dan O'Neil wrote a nice article on the topic after the season re: Cole's development and a possible partner for Petro) and heading into training camp he should've had a leg up on the competition by competing in the AHL (which Hitch said was the biggest advantage during the lockout).

And yet here we are with the Blues signing a 35+ defenseman and Cole likely heading back to the AHL where, if the Blues still believe in him long-term, it would be much better for him to get top 4 minutes with Peoria than your option B.

Hitch the other day said Cole cannot play against top players which means he's not ready for a top 4 role. They gave him another chance...the staff deems he's not ready. That, more than anything else, is what necessitated the Redden signing.

The problem with Cole is that he says all the right things but seems to be having a difficult time taking that next step in his development. When he's in the A, the report are that he's steady but not a guy who's a stud like a Brendan Smith (same draft class).

I like Cole, I do, I'm just wondering if the powers that be in the organization are losing faith in his long-term, top-4 potential.

He'll be 24 in a month.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Well, I guess they got their depth...

I guess I'm okay with Redden although I have no idea what his skill level is these days. How many depth defensemen do we need? We still haven't solved our issue (partner for Pietrangelo). But we now have several guys who could be considered a #6 or 7. Cole, Redden, Woywitka, White (guess he's probably gone now though). Yay? I just don't know how it will play out. Nothing to be too excited over. But if Cole struggles it could be bad news for him.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
I don't see redden making much of an impact, Sydor all over again. Cole will be playing regularly

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
This summer was supposed to be another "huge" off-season for Cole (Dan O'Neil wrote a nice article on the topic after the season re: Cole's development and a possible partner for Petro) and heading into training camp he should've had a leg up on the competition by competing in the AHL (which Hitch said was the biggest advantage during the lockout).

And yet here we are with the Blues signing a 35+ defenseman and Cole likely heading back to the AHL where, if the Blues still believe in him long-term, it would be much better for him to get top 4 minutes with Peoria than your option B.

Hitch the other day said Cole cannot play against top players which means he's not ready for a top 4 role. They gave him another chance...the staff deems he's not ready. That, more than anything else, is what necessitated the Redden signing.

The problem with Cole is that he says all the right things but seems to be having a difficult time taking that next step in his development. When he's in the A, the report are that he's steady but not a guy who's a stud like a Brendan Smith (same draft class).

I like Cole, I do, I'm just wondering if the powers that be in the organization are losing faith in his long-term, top-4 potential.

He'll be 24 in a month.

Cole needs to be traded. I've been saying it for 2 years but he is a bottom pairing defenseman or does not crack the NHL. Would like to see Dags, Cole, and a pick to go for a true partner for petro.

Cole has the abilities to play at a high level of hockey, but his hockey IQ is what makes him a bad player. Trade him now before his stock drops anymore.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011

He'll be 24 in a month.

Do you have a link to these comments from Hitchcock about Cole?

sh724

Jun 2, 2009
Missouri
Cole needs to be traded. I've been saying it for 2 years but he is a bottom pairing defenseman or does not crack the NHL. Would like to see Dags, Cole, and a pick to go for a true partner for petro.

Cole has the abilities to play at a high level of hockey, but his hockey IQ is what makes him a bad player. Trade him now before his stock drops anymore.

It would not be surprising at all to see that trade really soon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad