Confirmed with Link: Blues Sign Clifford

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Well if Armstrong’s comment about Steen in the video didn’t signal anything, this signing likely confirms Steen is LTIRetired. Good term and dollars too.

Now hopefully we go out and get a forward that can help the Top 6.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
But but but we lost a player!!

One single player.

We are so doomed and are never going to be competitive again.

EVER!!!!!!:(
It's a team game, sure but individual players matter.

Having an elite defenseman helps cover a lot of team warts, and Pietrangelo to Krug is a big team downgrade even if Krug himself is very good for the sort of player he is. That downgrade alone shouldn't keep the Blues from making the playoffs, but it's not an unreasonable opinion to believe that it's a big enough downgrade to keep them from being a real contender.

Likewise, this team wasn't a real contender until it traded for ROR, which is the closest thing we've had to an elite center in quite awhile. He certainly played like one his first year here when we won the Cup. If we lost ROR and replaced him with, say, Mikael Granlund, then that's probably not going to cut it when it comes to winning a Cup, either.

As someone that I know has been a fan of this team through a whole lot of mediocre years, I would think you would appreciate that having a couple of elite players at key positions is a big part of what separates teams with a real shot from teams that will just be showing up.

The Grouch

Jan 31, 2009
Not a bad signing, especially if Steen is LTIRetired. Though I would've preferred Jesper Fast for 1 million more as he can play further up the depth chart if needed. Also this.....Barbashev - Sundqvist - Fast.....would be sexy!

Reactions: mk80

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
Not sure how people can be mad or disappointed about this deal. It’s a 1M depth signing. It’s always good to have cheap vets like this that you can leave in the press box instead of letting prospects rot there. Much rather have Clifford in this role than Brouwer...

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I Iiked Clifford on LA. I am not sure how much he has left in the tank, but Leaf fans and Kings fans still seem to like him. I am okay with this signing.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
It's a team game, sure but individual players matter.

Having an elite defenseman helps cover a lot of team warts, and Pietrangelo to Krug is a big team downgrade even if Krug himself is very good for the sort of player he is. That downgrade alone shouldn't keep the Blues from making the playoffs, but it's not an unreasonable opinion to believe that it's a big enough downgrade to keep them from being a real contender.

Likewise, this team wasn't a real contender until it traded for ROR, which is the closest thing we've had to an elite center in quite awhile. He certainly played like one his first year here when we won the Cup. If we lost ROR and replaced him with, say, Mikael Granlund, then that's probably not going to cut it when it comes to winning a Cup, either.

As someone that I know has been a fan of this team through a whole lot of mediocre years, I would think you would appreciate that having a couple of elite players at key positions is a big part of what separates teams with a real shot from teams that will just be showing up.
Of course, I get it, but it’s one player.

Reactions: mike1320

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Of course, I get it, but it’s one player.
For some people, the (perceived?) shift from being a potential contender to not being one is a pretty big deal. Some are handling it better than others, but it's still going to elicit some strong emotions.

Out of curiosity, do you think this team as currently constructed is a legitimate contender?

Reactions: Vollie27

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
For some people, the (perceived?) shift from being a potential contender to not being one is a pretty big deal. Some are handling it better than others, but it's still going to elicit some strong emotions.

Out of curiosity, do you think this team as currently constructed is a legitimate contender?

The Blues as currently constructed nope they are not a legit contender. They are a pretender at best.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006

Yes, lots of members here are feeling some very strong emotions; myself not included.

My point is that, while a single player can put a team over the top AND being without a particular single player can sometimes break a team, this Blues team is tough-minded with an all-in attitude.

That is rare in today’s team sports.

This roster, as currently constructed, is probably NOT a Cup contender. The loss of Pietrangelo hurts, but this team sorely needs a top offensive threat as well AND a decent back up goaltender.

With that said, I’ve always been a goaltending and defense/pitching and defense kind of person when it comes to team sports. Strength down the middle is always the key, in my opinion.

I don’t know, EB. I’m sad at the turn of events, but am almost always optimistic that the Blues will overcome.

I just don’t think the loss of Pietrangelo is going to be as much of a problem as some of our members are portraying.

Reactions: mike1320

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Yes, lots of members here are feeling some very strong emotions; myself not included.

My point is that, while a single player can put a team over the top AND being without a particular single player can sometimes break a team, this Blues team is tough-minded with an all-in attitude.

This roster, as currently constructed, is probably NOT a Cup contender. The loss of Pietrangelo hurts, but this team sorely needs a top offensive threat as well AND a decent back up goaltender.

With that said, I’ve always been a goaltending and defense/pitching and defense kind of person when it comes to team sports. Strength down the middle is always the key, in my opinion.

I don’t know, EB. I’m sad at the turn of events, but am almost always optimistic that the Blues will overcome.

I just don’t think the loss of Pietrangelo is going to be as much of a problem as some of our members are portraying.
We can certainly hope it won't be.

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada

I disagree. So you are ok if the Blues get knocked out in the first round year after year? And Pietrangelo is a lot more important to the Blues than some people realize.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada

But if you are defense first, ( as I am), are you not alarmed at the current makeup of our D corps? I will very grudgingly admit that the loss of Pietrangelo alone is surmountable. What is not surmountable, at least to me, is the loss of Pietrangelo and his replacement with Faulk and Krug.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
But if you are defense first, ( as I am), are you not alarmed at the current makeup of our D corps? I will very grudgingly admit that the loss of Pietrangelo alone is surmountable. What is not surmountable, at least to me, is the loss of Pietrangelo and his replacement with Faulk and Krug.
Certainly challenging, my friend.

Reactions: simon IC

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Didn’t we just get booted in the first round?
It's hard for me to read too much into that, given the circumstances.

The Blues were looking pretty good during the regular season, in spite of losing five of their first eight games, up until it was cancelled. Then nothing for months, and the team (and Binnington) clearly never found its stride during a miniscule ramp up into the playoffs. I'd like to think we would have seen a very different team and result if the season had played out normally.

Zizzle

Oct 29, 2019
Hey Army did leave the door open for Pietro to return. Maybe he will come to his senses? I hope he does resign....Krug, Parakyo, Pietro, Faulk, Scandella, Gunner, Bortozzo would be an awesome D....I would think trading Bozak and Dunn, and then you LTIR Steen and Vladi you would clear up 18M ish? Then go and sign a Hoffman or Tofolli

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
Hey Army did leave the door open for Pietro to return. Maybe he will come to his senses? I hope he does resign....Krug, Parakyo, Pietro, Faulk, Scandella, Gunner, Bortozzo would be an awesome D....I would think trading Bozak and Dunn, and then you LTIR Steen and Vladi you would clear up 18M ish? Then go and sign a Hoffman or Tofolli

Army did say he was keeping the door open, I don't know if it was GM speak or not. And I do hope Petro does come to his senses. I love that D core with Petro on it.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
"Leave the door open" doesn't mean much if there isn't any contact with Pietrangelo's camp or an offer on the table...which there doesn't seem to be.

Klank Loves You

Feb 21, 2015
Necessary, but probably not an impactful signing. Have to imagine Steen ends up working with the org at some level.

Eldon Reid

Dec 13, 2018
Not a bad signing.

If somehow Clifford gets put on waivers and clear, it won't hurt our cap space.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I remember him as the guy who decked Polak with an uppercut, to the delight of Kings fans, and got clobbered by Reaves later. Clifford seemed to fight only middleweights after the Reaves fight.

Did we really need a past-his-prime middle weight fighter for the 4th line? Fighting is pretty nearly dead in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad