Post-Game Talk: Blues @ Rangers Nov. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
The adjustments are evident and the forwards are helping the D a lot more here. But having said that to me the biggest thing is mcdonagh Staal and Girardi are all healthy and had a full offseason to recover and train. With how deep we've gone year after year and the injuries these 3 have had to play thru no one has had time to have a normal offseason to get strong. That wasn't the case this summer. All three got healthy trained hard and look significantly better than last year. Girardi included. I've seen him railroad a few guys that just wouldn't have happened a year ago. Staals skating looks like he's 24 again. And mcdonagh looks like a Norris contender.

Like let's be honest we're 7-3 but should be 10-0. We've absolutely dominated every night. Goaltending was shaky if hank is back and from what I saw last night he's definitely on track, well man our D is more than sufficient to win a lot of games with this offense.

We should not overpay for any D man. If we can make a fair trade great but I'm not giving up miller AND skjei for trouba or anyone.

This. I was in the re-tool camp (vs. blow-up and rebuild) because there was too much of the upside to the roster from the continuous development of uyts and a full offseason for vets. Not arguing that the additions of Ziba and Vesey were significant but even without them (but we Brassard and Buch in top 6) we'd probably be close to where we are today. Everything else that Gorton so masterfully did this offseason was of a low key. On the other hand there'd be probably more impatient calls for the update to D.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Other than like 5 or 6 guys is anyone actually making good money in the KHL? Recent reports suggest not.

He could make some money sure but 5 mil? I don't know. And if he thought he hated playing for an NHL team in Canada have fun playing for a khl team in Russia yikes.

I think he caves if chevy doesn't blink.

Brief Candle

Hank's Forehead Sweat
Jan 30, 2010
New Jersey
rocklandmusic.com
LTYKeTd.jpg

Get this man a trophy!

Seriously though, great win. If we play like this all season, it's gonna be a fun one. :handclap: :handclap: :handclap: :handclap: :handclap:

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I really don't care about the Presidents Trophy but it would be nice to avoid playing Pens or Caps in the first round. A lot of regular season games left but I just don't see the Rangers lowering their performance across the board. Even with this early success there's still room for improvement for Ziba, Stepan, Zuke and Buch that could compensate for a slowdown from current overperformers.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Someone asked AV a day or two ago on one of the team's on site videos and apparently the Rangers have made some kind of hybrid adjustment between man on man and zone which may be another reason why Girardi and Staal both look quite a bit better this year--along with they've both (particularly Girardi) have had a chance to get healthy. A man on man defensive scheme plays to their weaknesses. It actually played to McIlrath's weaknesses as well.

Open Mind

Nov 14, 2014
I have to give AV and the coaching staff a lot of credit. They've made nice adjustments, have the team playing more in units of 5 instead of two separate islands we've seen in prior seasons, and instead of forcing round pegs into square holes, have finally incorporated a system that does some things to increase strengths and minimize weaknesses.

The changes are long overdue imo, but then I also don't think it's easy for coaches to deviate from what they're comfortable with or what's worked for them in the past. So props to the coaching staff. The team looks really good, and game in and game out looks exceedingly difficult for opposition to play against.

nyrage

Aug 2, 2005
Houston, TX
Let's not get too carried away with the adjustment kudos. During the Carolina game, I remember a couple of defensemen chasing a guy with the puck high in the face-off circle with an opponent standing in front of the net all by himself. I was thinking, "that damn man on man defense".

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
I literally almost had a heart attack when McD left the game yesterday. Could you imagine our defense is we lost Mcd long term? He's literally been the rock that has held the defense together for the most part...

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Let's not get too carried away with the adjustment kudos. During the Carolina game, I remember a couple of defensemen chasing a guy with the puck high in the face-off circle with an opponent standing in front of the net all by himself. I was thinking, "that damn man on man defense".

And like I said, kudos to AV for fixing a problem he had a large hand in creating. woo hoo.

He really did make some solid adjustments though.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
lol, this is like textbook insanely perfect high level elite puck movement:
2016-11-01-19_30_11.gif

how is this even possible after living through the Tortorella years.... lol

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
If only the Rangers had some finish. They would be scoring even more than 4 goals per goal.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
lol, this is like textbook insanely perfect high level elite puck movement:
2016-11-01-19_30_11.gif

how is this even possible after living through the Tortorella years.... lol

that was great. Those 2 consecutive touch passes from Vessey and Skeij had the PKers running around and dismantled that pk box.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Kreider, Stepan, Nash, McD, Girardi, Zucc, Klein, Staal are the only skaters from the SCF team still on this roster

Just noticed. Whoa.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Kreider, Stepan, Nash, McD, Girardi, Zucc, Klein, Staal are the only skaters from the SCF team still on this roster

Just noticed. Whoa.
JT and Fast played 4 and 3 games, respectively.

JT got crosschecked into the goal post against Montreal and hurt his shoulder, otherwise he'd have played in the Finals I believe.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
JT and Fast played 4 and 3 games, respectively.

JT got crosschecked into the goal post against Montreal and hurt his shoulder, otherwise he'd have played in the Finals I believe.

Doesn't count HFUser John C.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
The adjustments are evident and the forwards are helping the D a lot more here. But having said that to me the biggest thing is mcdonagh Staal and Girardi are all healthy and had a full offseason to recover and train. With how deep we've gone year after year and the injuries these 3 have had to play thru no one has had time to have a normal offseason to get strong. That wasn't the case this summer. All three got healthy trained hard and look significantly better than last year. Girardi included. I've seen him railroad a few guys that just wouldn't have happened a year ago. Staals skating looks like he's 24 again. And mcdonagh looks like a Norris contender.

Like let's be honest we're 7-3 but should be 10-0. We've absolutely dominated every night. Goaltending was shaky if hank is back and from what I saw last night he's definitely on track, well man our D is more than sufficient to win a lot of games with this offense.

We should not overpay for any D man. If we can make a fair trade great but I'm not giving up miller AND skjei for trouba or anyone.

I agree with this, but I think their resurgance is not only do rest and healing, but also especially do to how mobile the forwards are now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad