Half-Assed GDT: Blues Oilers: have we given up yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

JR1

Dec 22, 2016
Binnington had a good game but he should have stopped the OT goal..

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
How are the blues local TV ratings and ticket sales this season?

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Binnington had a good game but he should have stopped the OT goal..
That’s fair, but it’s McDavid in 3 on 3. You just never know what he’s going to do.

Moneypuck had the expected goals as 3.5 to 2.2 in favor of Edmonton, so both goalies played pretty well. The line graph for this one is pretty interesting. Blues start off with a big surge in xG and then basically flatline the rest of the game. Got a two goal lead and then Edmonton shut it down/Blues fell asleep.

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
Binnington won't win the Vezina, he might not even be a finalist. Be he should be in the top 5 of voting. He's played lights out this entire season and I can only shudder to think what would have happened if he had struggled like in years past.

I'd really appreciate someone who has more time and perhaps better hockey knowledge to take a look at what we were doing in 2021-2022 compared to now in terms of our breakout. Our D-core is basically the exact same from a top 4 perspective, probably even better with Leddy vs the revolving door that played with Parayko that season. Yet we struggle so soooooo hard to move the puck out of the defensive zone with any pace or space. Are our wingers staying higher in the zone to better cover the points and therefore getting less forward momentum? Is our Center being asked to play deeper then before and therefore unable to work up the center of the ice for an outlet? (I can't imagine ROR and Schenn cheating for offense, but crazier things have happened).

Watching the Blues this season, the two main focal points that stick out to me are that we cannot break the puck out cleanly very often, and that our forecheck is basically non-existent. The only time we generate -any- pressure on a forecheck is when the other team makes a boneheaded play. Our forecheck seems to consist of dumping the puck in, the F1 making a half hearted effort to tie up the d-man, only to watch a soft chip 5 feet away break all our pressure, as our F2 and F3 are god knows where, but certainly not deep behind the net fighting for possession.

It's been a frustrating season to watch, b/c I think this team has played well under it's talent level, all things considered. I know we sheltered the Krug/Faulk pairing a lot back during their first year together, but the fall off has been simply boggling.

Reactions: Snubbed4Vezina

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Binnington won't win the Vezina, he might not even be a finalist. Be he should be in the top 5 of voting. He's played lights out this entire season and I can only shudder to think what would have happened if he had struggled like in years past.
If the season ended today, Helly and Demko are my overwhelming picks for the top 2 Vezina votes. Markstrom is in the discussion over Demko, but Demko's 8 extra starts does a lot of heavy lifting for me. Elite numbers in a top 5 workload beats arguably slightly more elite numbers in a normal workload for me. But those are my pretty clearly-defined top 3. All 3 have passed the eye test when I view them in addition to putting up fantastic stats all around.

After them, I think there are a lot of cases to be made for rounding out the top 5.

Swayman is amazing when he's in net. After the top 3, I don't think anyone else has so consistently looked so good. But he and Ullmark are at a damn near 50/50 split and I have a hard time voting for a guy who is going to fall noticeably short of 50 starts. I think I'd vote for Binner over him right now based on workload, but I can't fault someone for voting the other way and a .920 in today's NHL is extremely hard to argue against.

Bobrovsky is having a vintage Bob season to follow up his great playoff run. I still don't think he's worth that contract, but he's playing like one of the better goalies in the league and doing it on a team that has had a lot of defensive injuries to battle. 4th most starts in the league too. I'd vote for Bob ahead of Binner right now.

Shesterkin has had a surprising number of real clunkers this year. His quality start rate is still good, but when he has been off he has been way off. He's had 7 games where he has put up a SV% of .800 or worse in just 39 starts. To compare, Binner has 4 such blow ups over 40 starts. But he has caught fire lately and when he's good he is great. He's gotten his SV% and 'above expected' numbers a touch past Binner's. I'd vote Binner ahead of Shesterkin today, but Shesterkin would win my vote if he closes the season the way he's been playing for the last 6 weeks or so.

Jarry is right in the conversation with Binner. Slightly better raw numbers, slightly worse 'vs expected' numbers. He bails out a mediocre team a lot and the workload is basically even (he's started 2 fewer games than Binner but the Pens have played 3 fewer games than us). I think that the Blues are a worse team than the Pens and would vote for Binner. But it wouldn't be an injustice for people to go with Jarry instead.

The Sabres are probably too far out for people to care about what UPL is doing, but he's been fantastic since winning the #1 job outright a couple months into the year. He's got a real shot at putting up a .915 over 50 starts this season on a team known for awful defensive play. His 'vs expected' numbes are right around Binner's.

Lyon and Daccord are making nice "unexpected savior" runs, but Daccord appears to be yielding net down the stretch and I think Lyon came in too late in the year to finish ahead of Binner. But I could see Lyon beating out Binner for some votes if he starts 18 of their last 23 games, slightly improves his SV% and the Wings make the playoffs by a comfortable margin. Sorokin may get votes on reputation and his raw SV%, but I can't justify making a real argument to put him ahead of Binner.

I think there are reasonable arguments for Binner to finish as low as 9th in Vezina voting if the season suddenly ended right now. I think I'd have him 5th. Realistically, I expect that he will fall a bit by the end of the year. Shesterkin appears to be ramping up, Lyon has a chance to bolster his case by getting the Wings back to the playoffs, and it is becoming clear that we're about done playing meaningful games. I won't be surprised if Hofer picks up an extra couple starts to decrease Binner's workload edge and/or for us to have a couple extra nights where we fully hang him out to dry.

I'll be surprised if he finishes top 5 in Vezina voting and I don't know that it will be unfair. But he's has been very good this year.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I just think Hanafin wants to go somewhere sunny without taxes. I can definitely see him signing a long term deal in FL

By that I mean With Florida or Tampa. Tampa seems a little more far fetched due to Hed at Serg. but. It would not surprise me either.

Seravalli basically confirmed my suspicions

Reactions: GoldenSeal

Fez Whatley

Jun 7, 2015

Kylester

Feb 28, 2020
Southern California
Meh, kinda hope he goes to fla on a team friendly deal. I think the blooze may dodge a bullet there and I'd like to see the panthers be competitive for a while.
For what it's worth, I just recently started watching Daily Face-off and really like it. Morning Cuppa Hockey is pretty good too.

DeuceNine

Like You Read About
Aug 6, 2006
Stymieville
If the season ended today, Helly and Demko are my overwhelming picks for the top 2 Vezina votes. Markstrom is in the discussion over Demko, but Demko's 8 extra starts does a lot of heavy lifting for me. Elite numbers in a top 5 workload beats arguably slightly more elite numbers in a normal workload for me. But those are my pretty clearly-defined top 3. All 3 have passed the eye test when I view them in addition to putting up fantastic stats all around.

After them, I think there are a lot of cases to be made for rounding out the top 5.

Swayman is amazing when he's in net. After the top 3, I don't think anyone else has so consistently looked so good. But he and Ullmark are at a damn near 50/50 split and I have a hard time voting for a guy who is going to fall noticeably short of 50 starts. I think I'd vote for Binner over him right now based on workload, but I can't fault someone for voting the other way and a .920 in today's NHL is extremely hard to argue against.

Bobrovsky is having a vintage Bob season to follow up his great playoff run. I still don't think he's worth that contract, but he's playing like one of the better goalies in the league and doing it on a team that has had a lot of defensive injuries to battle. 4th most starts in the league too. I'd vote for Bob ahead of Binner right now.

Shesterkin has had a surprising number of real clunkers this year. His quality start rate is still good, but when he has been off he has been way off. He's had 7 games where he has put up a SV% of .800 or worse in just 39 starts. To compare, Binner has 4 such blow ups over 40 starts. But he has caught fire lately and when he's good he is great. He's gotten his SV% and 'above expected' numbers a touch past Binner's. I'd vote Binner ahead of Shesterkin today, but Shesterkin would win my vote if he closes the season the way he's been playing for the last 6 weeks or so.

Jarry is right in the conversation with Binner. Slightly better raw numbers, slightly worse 'vs expected' numbers. He bails out a mediocre team a lot and the workload is basically even (he's started 2 fewer games than Binner but the Pens have played 3 fewer games than us). I think that the Blues are a worse team than the Pens and would vote for Binner. But it wouldn't be an injustice for people to go with Jarry instead.

The Sabres are probably too far out for people to care about what UPL is doing, but he's been fantastic since winning the #1 job outright a couple months into the year. He's got a real shot at putting up a .915 over 50 starts this season on a team known for awful defensive play. His 'vs expected' numbes are right around Binner's.

Lyon and Daccord are making nice "unexpected savior" runs, but Daccord appears to be yielding net down the stretch and I think Lyon came in too late in the year to finish ahead of Binner. But I could see Lyon beating out Binner for some votes if he starts 18 of their last 23 games, slightly improves his SV% and the Wings make the playoffs by a comfortable margin. Sorokin may get votes on reputation and his raw SV%, but I can't justify making a real argument to put him ahead of Binner.

I think there are reasonable arguments for Binner to finish as low as 9th in Vezina voting if the season suddenly ended right now. I think I'd have him 5th. Realistically, I expect that he will fall a bit by the end of the year. Shesterkin appears to be ramping up, Lyon has a chance to bolster his case by getting the Wings back to the playoffs, and it is becoming clear that we're about done playing meaningful games. I won't be surprised if Hofer picks up an extra couple starts to decrease Binner's workload edge and/or for us to have a couple extra nights where we fully hang him out to dry.

I'll be surprised if he finishes top 5 in Vezina voting and I don't know that it will be unfair. But he's has been very good this year.
I'm OK with having a top 10 goaltender with a backup that isn't much worse from a raw talent perspective. But I'll also say what I always do, and that is if a team is relying on their goalie to carry the load in an inordinate degree, it's not the goaltender that's doing it wrong if he's not putting up a .920.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
I just think Hanafin wants to go somewhere sunny without taxes. I can definitely see him signing a long term deal in FL
Everyone wants to, but that's much more because those teams are good. Winning teams attract players much more than what the income tax rate is for some team. When Florida was crap practically all of the period between 2001 and 2019, no one except perhaps Roberto Luongo was racing to go play in Sunrise despite its lure of no state income taxes. Texas, Tennessee and Washington have no state income taxes either and players aren't racing to go play for the Stars, Predators and Kraken because of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad