Half-Assed GDT: Blues Flames: Lets see how this one goes.

mab894

Nov 27, 2017
leddy quietly with another strong game. 3 assists, +3, and he and parayko are basically are only functional defensive pairing. no idea why folks are so eager to get rid of him (i would obviously trade him for value, that isn't my point).
They've been solid all year. Can't really ask for much more. Leddy does have some inexplicably dumb turnovers from time to time but he has easily been a net positive for this team

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
solid comeback win and good way to start the road trip

the flames are obviously going to have to break this jv team up

Reactions: Blueston

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
i think these west coast games are past his bedtime.
Don't make fun of us Oldies! You'll be old some day too, and learn to appreciate going to sleep early and afternoon taking an occasional afternoon snooze! :D

Joey Vitale has a good personality, and he knows his hockey. I'd rather have him replace Warmann than Bernie. I think Bernie is funny. Besides, he's a St. Louis institution. Like Harry Caray. Most of the old-time baseball fans said that he wasn't all that good of a play-by-play announcer. But they liked him a lot doing that job, anyway. People that watch the game and know it well don't need a play-by-play announcer to or colour man, or between periods and post-game announcer to tell them what they saw. They only need them to provide information that can't be known by just watching (like injury reports, information about the background or recent history of recently-called up players, or when the announcer also played the game at its highest level, and sees the players almost every day, he can provide insight into the game or the players' current progress, or interesting stories about them. So, I generally prefer ex-players as announcers even if they aren't as good at public speaking or don't have a "bubbly radio or TV personality.

jura

booze & blues
Mar 29, 2012
Zagreb, Croatia
our D can't pass the puck to save their lives :help: turnover and giveaway fest
Colt & Leddy at least can sometimes chip it over the glass/boards :D

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
leddy quietly with another strong game. 3 assists, +3, and he and parayko are again basically our only functional defensive pairing. no idea why folks are so eager to get rid of him (i would obviously trade him for value, that isn't my point).
I was more optimistic than most when we acquired him because I like the skillset that he had, transitioning the puck, but I'm still amazed at how well he's done in the extreme deployment that he gets with Parayko. I never thought he'd actually succeed in it.

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
Don't make fun of us Oldies! You'll be old some day too, and learn to appreciate going to sleep early and afternoon taking an occasional afternoon snooze! :D

Joey Vitale has a good personality, and he knows his hockey. I'd rather have him replace Warmann than Bernie. I think Bernie is funny. Besides, he's a St. Louis institution. Like Harry Caray. Most of the old-time baseball fans said that he wasn't all that good of a play-by-play announcer. But they liked him a lot doing that job, anyway. People that watch the game and know it well don't need a play-by-play announcer to or colour man, or between periods and post-game announcer to tell them what they saw. They only need them to provide information that can't be known by just watching (like injury reports, information about the background or recent history of recently-called up players, or when the announcer also played the game at its highest level, and sees the players almost every day, he can provide insight into the game or the players' current progress, or interesting stories about them. So, I generally prefer ex-players as announcers even if they aren't as good at public speaking or don't have a "bubbly radio or TV personality.
Like Noel Picard? :naughty:

Reactions: Robb_K

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
Krug, Faulk, Kessel and Scandella all with multiple bad, bad, bad give aways this game
Kessel became more invisible as the game went on, not sure if he played better or just less
Scandella rebounded and had a really nice last half of the third period
Leddy was fantastic all night, Parayko was very good as well
Krug and Faulk should never, ever be on the ice at the same time unless it is the PP

the 1st line wasn't particularly effective the 1st two periods (other than the very beginning of the game), but turned it on in the 3rd
AND we apparently have a 2nd line, who would have thought?

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Kessel became more invisible as the game went on, not sure if he played better or just less
He got much better as the game went on. Had a rough first period, including that one GLARING turn over, but settled into the game and played very solid over all.

I truly don’t understand this narrative that seems to have sprung up about Kessel being invisible or not impacting the game. I watch the game and see him making some mistakes but also a lot of very good plays…maybe it’s a viewer issue not a player/play style issue?

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
He got much better as the game went on. Had a rough first period, including that one GLARING turn over, but settled into the game and played very solid over all.

I truly don’t understand this narrative that seems to have sprung up about Kessel being invisible or not impacting the game. I watch the game and see him making some mistakes but also a lot of very good plays…maybe it’s a viewer issue not a player/play style issue?
I have liked what Kessel has done so far, stylistically he, at least to this point in his career, is not a player the makes fantastic plays that stand out, so the kinds of plays he makes that especially stand out are usually the bad ones, so to me being "invisible" is him doing a good job

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I have liked what Kessel has done so far, stylistically he, at least to this point in his career, is not a player the makes fantastic plays that stand out, so the kinds of plays he makes that especially stand out are usually the bad ones, so to me being "invisible" is him doing a good job
Fair enough, don’t mean to really single you out in particular.

I just have read several of references on this forum to Kessel being invisible/not impactful in a seemingly negative (or at best neutral) connotation and it surprises me for a couple reasons. 1) how impactful do we really expect a bottom pairing dman with a handful of NHL games experience to be? 2) Kessel’s play has generally been pretty damn good IMO!

I’m probably being a bit over sensitive…been a fan of Kessel’s for a while. Just don’t want to see a negative narrative form about his play if it’s not accurate/warranted.

Reactions: Drubilly and Robb_K

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
I think we might have a gem in Kessel. He has an excellent shot from the point which we haven't seen a ton of yet, but I've also been impressed with his ability to elude defenders like he did right before the giveaway. Would be awesome to have another defenseman who can actually generate scoring opportunities from the point. I was worried about his rush defense based on some clips from Springfield but he's looked solid in that area.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Fair enough, don’t mean to really single you out in particular.

I just have read several of references on this forum to Kessel being invisible/not impactful in a seemingly negative (or at best neutral) connotation and it surprises me for a couple reasons. 1) how impactful do we really expect a bottom pairing dman with a handful of NHL games experience to be? 2) Kessel’s play has generally been pretty damn good IMO!

I’m probably being a bit over sensitive…been a fan of Kessel’s for a while. Just don’t want to see a negative narrative form about his play if it’s not accurate/warranted.
I agree. He's looked quite solid to me, for a rookie. Any time a rookie can make his veteran shift partner look better, periodically, I feel he's on the right track. Every player makes both physical and mental errors now and again. Fans "expect" to see that from rookies, so the actual proportion of gaffs to total plays can get blown out of proportion if your not actually counting them. The eye test says that Kessell is on a decent progression track. And that couldn'happen to a team that needs that more than ours.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad