Half-Assed GDT: Blues @ Flames 8PM CST on BSMW

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
First of home/home with Calgary. Interesting fact is that the Flames will play us Thursday on the 2nd of B2B's and 3 in 4 nights after we have a B2B and 3 in 4 nights tonight.

Binner is expected to be in net and Buchnevich should be back.

LETS GO BLUES!

Reactions: i aint Dunn yet

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Well the Blues should be well rested.

I expect these next 3 games before the break to be high energy, physical affairs.

Reactions: AjaxManifesto

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Why take the risk to play Binnington?

I know it's a road back to back but Husso played just 5 games this month, just 12 all season long. He can't possibly be tired and he's red hot while Binnington is ice cold. That Calgary game is one heck of a trap game for the Blues. It could be ugly. Why risk losing points due to poor goaltending and why risk destroying Binnington's confidence even further if it's almost a certainty Husso would play yet another solid game? Just three more games until the break so why not go with the hot goalie and give the cold one an extended break? A struggling goalie is more likely to improve via a complete reset than via playing through his issues. Blues will need Binnington after the break, they don't really need him now. Give him time to practice without having to prepare for games and start him again after the break when he finally cleaned up and reset his game.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule

I know it's a road back to back but Husso played just 5 games this month, just 12 all season long. He can't possibly be tired and he's red hot while Binnington is ice cold. That Calgary game is one heck of a trap game for the Blues. It could be ugly. Why risk losing points due to poor goaltending and why risk destroying Binnington's confidence even further if it's almost a certainty Husso would play yet another solid game? Just three more games until the break so why not go with the hot goalie and give the cold one an extended break? A struggling goalie is more likely to improve via a complete reset than via playing through his issues. Blues will need Binnington after the break, they don't really need him now. Give him time to practice without having to prepare for games and start him again after the break when he finally cleaned up and reset his game.
The same reason you shouldn't heavily work out the same muscle groups two days in a row. Increased fatigue and higher risk of injury.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
The same reason you shouldn't heavily work out the same muscle groups two days in a row. Increased fatigue and higher risk of injury.

Says who? That's not something I believe in. And again, Husso played just 5 games this month. There's no way he's tired.

Linkens Mastery

Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Says who? That's not something I believe in. And again, Husso played just 5 games this month. There's no way he's tired.
Says every fitness leader I've ever met in the military and every personal trainer I've had. And so what he's only played 5 gages this month. He's played 3 in the last 7 games. Sports are a hell on the body, especially if your job is to crouch for 60 minutes a night and contort your body into strange and awkward positions repeatedly.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018

goalies arent as sharp back to back and binny needs to play to get right. hes sat long enough. and what is the risk? its not like we are facing elimination from the playoffs here. it is not a certainty husso would play solid back to back games.

and you dont want to piss off binny by completely icing him when you have a 6 year contract cuz if husso comes back to earth you know pissed off your starter by not even starting him on back to backs to help him get right.

its standard procedure to split the games there is 0 reason to not split the back to back other than some fan gratification

Reactions: Ridge1982

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
tougher team on paper so binny gets the start, pretty simple. he either posts a shutout or there'll be "more controversy" i guess. seems like husso will actually have to start getting prime starts before we're in that territory, but i get some people just want to be there first.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Whether we like it or not Binnington is still very much a part of the team and is, at worst, gonna split starts. He’s not gonna get out of this funk by sitting on the bench.

A reset has helped other goalies before. If your basics aren't there and mistakes are creeping in, it helps if you can work on your technique instead of having to prepare for games. Give him the time to practice and start him after the break. Husso is unlikely to cool off after the break but it's up in the air if he can preserve his form over the break. Blues need Binnington in February, not now. In February, it will be too late for a reset...unless they wanna call up Lindgren of course. I also don't know if another bad performance would help Binnington's confidence. The game tonight could be one of the tougher ones to backstop this season. I just don't think it's a risk worth taking.

Linkens Mastery

Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
A reset has helped other goalies before. If your basics aren't there and mistakes are creeping in, it helps if you can work on your technique instead of having to prepare for games. Give him the time to practice and start him after the break. Husso is unlikely to cool off after the break but it's up in the air if he can preserve his form over the break. Blues need Binnington in February, not now. In February, it will be too late for a reset...unless they wanna call up Lindgren of course. I also don't know if another bad performance would help Binnington's confidence. The game tonight could be one of the tougher ones to backstop this season. I just don't think it's a risk worth taking.
But it's worth riding Husso into the ground with no rest?

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
binyys had a rest. A reset doesnt mean he needs to play 0 games for a month. most resets are eaxctly whats happened. the backup gets more starts for awhile.

you just want to go to extreme definitions to fit your narrative cuz you odnt want to listen to anything else.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Says every fitness leader I've ever met in the military and every personal trainer I've had. And so what he's only played 5 gages this month. He's played 3 in the last 7 games. Sports are a hell on the body, especially if your job is to crouch for 60 minutes a night and contort your body into strange and awkward positions repeatedly.
I didn't even know this point was debated lol there's a reason you shouldn't work the same muscle groups for multiple days in a row. Not to mention how high intensity hockey is, I think it's safe to say that in normal circumstances you shouldn't play the same goalie on back to back nights

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
But it's worth riding Husso into the ground with no rest?

The Dude rested essentially all season long, playing just 12 games, barely a 3rd of Saros' workload. As a hockey pro, Husso can't possibly be tired. Hellebuyck is playing most back to backs for years now and he's hardly ever injured or looking tired. Just 3 more for Husso this week is what I'd do and I don't think it's asking for too much. He's hot now and will get enough rest afterwards.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017

Wow, you really really don't like Binnington do you? It's common practice to start the other goalie on a back to back, every single NHL coach would do the same. Sure Binnington has struggled but he's not as bad as you say, and he needs playing time to find his game again.

You bring up Hellebuyck, but he plays more than pretty much every other goalie in the league...he's the exception, not the rule.

Reactions: Ridge1982 and Cape

Linkens Mastery

Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
The Dude rested essentially all season long, playing just 12 games, barely a 3rd of Saros' workload. As a hockey pro, Husso can't possibly be tired. Hellebuyck is playing most back to backs for years now and he's hardly ever injured or looking tired. Just 3 more for Husso this week is what I'd do and I don't think it's asking for too much. He's hot now and will get enough rest afterwards.
I'm so glad you're not the coach.

Hell is an exception to that. Even Tampa, who has freaking Vasy the best goalie in the NHL, rotates their goalies in back to back games.

Reactions: Ridge1982

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Wow, you really really don't like Binnington do you? It's common practice to start the other goalie on a back to back, every single NHL coach would do the same. Sure Binnington has struggled but he's not as bad as you say, and he needs playing time to find his game again.

You bring up Hellebuyck, but he plays more than pretty much every other goalie in the league...he's the exception, not the rule.

I never said Husso should play as much as Hellebuyck....all I said is that Husso should play all three games ahead of the break and Binnington the first one after that. I'll happily be wrong but I think if Binnington starts, tonights game is likely to go south and I think Binnington would benefit more from additional practice time than from getting his confidence destroyed on a back to back in Calgary. Again. Hope I'm wrong but this one has trap game written all over. This is likely one of the more difficult games to be in the Blues goal this season.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
he still practices all season long. its not like he sits on his butt.

and amount of game in # of days totally matters probably more than # games season.

if i take off work for a 28 days, then come back to work and work to 12 hour shifts in a row, im gonna be tired. It doesnt matter that i only worked 24 hours in 30 days. The back to back shit matters

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I never said Husso should play as much as Hellebuyck....all I said is that Husso should play all three games ahead of the break and Binnington the first one after that. I'll happily be wrong but I think if Binnington starts, tonights game is likely to go south and I think Binnington would benefit more from additional practice time than from getting his confidence destroyed on a back to back in Calgary. Again. Hope I'm wrong but this one has trap game written all over. This is likely one of the more difficult games to be in the Blues goal this season.

I get what you're saying, but I can't imagine many NHL coaches would play one guy 3 nights out of 4 regardless of who it is. Husso fans should be encouraged that he has been given the #1 spot for the time being and will likely start 3 out of 4 games before the break. I just think unless teams have a guy like Hellebucyk they like to keep them both involved and it's the safe and easy play to split the back to back. While Binner hasn't been that good lately, sitting him until after the break seems a bit harsh.

I agree tonight's game could be a tough one, but we could win or lose with either guy in net. If the team plays like they did last night, they can expect to lose most nights, and we can't even Husso to stand on his head every game. Hopefully last night was a wake up call and the team plays better overall, but if not then we will likely get torched (pun intended) by a Flames team that is much better team than the Canucks IMO.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Husso starting both games of a B2B sounds like a bad idea to me. I always advocate for a split in this situation and Binny is a gamer so I think he'll be pushed positively by Husso's recent success. Some goalies thrive with competition in house so I'd start Binny and hope that's the case.

Reactions: Joshuar56
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad