Blues could use Casey Mittlestadt

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
But why would Mittelstadt do a two year deal? Especially at anything lower than what he and his agent see as market value?

He'd most likely do a 1-year deal to walk to free agency (since he is arbitration eligible) or want the security / salary of a longer term contract.
I believe Mittelstadt can't walk to UFA after a 1 year. Has to be 2. Correct me if I'm wrong?

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
I have no problem with putting Mitts on a 2 year deal seeing what happens and if all goes well we let him walk to FA and Ostlund replaces him for cap purposes. If he explodes further and we start competing again then we make some cap gymnastics.

If it doesn’t go well then we can trade him for value still with a year left. But for now we are a much worse team if we move Casey unless it’s for a bonafide top 4 RD which I don’t think we could get. And even then we will still be looking to replace Casey.
I'd be grudgingly content with a Mitts+ for Hanifin or Andersson deal. The addition of a prime age, proven top-4 veteran would have our defense set for years. Calgary is an ideal trade partner if we're willing to part with Mitts to finalize the defense.

Mix and match to your taste, but this looks pretty damn good to me, and it would only get stronger.

Dahlin/Hanifin-Dahlin/Andersson
R Johnson-Power
Samuelsson-Jokiharju
Clifton
Bryson

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
I'd be grudgingly content with a Mitts+ for Hanifin or Andersson deal. The addition of a prime age, proven top-4 veteran would have our defense set for years. Calgary is an ideal trade partner if we're willing to part with Mitts to finalize the defense.

Mix and match to your taste, but this looks pretty damn good to me, and it would only get stronger.

Dahlin/Hanifin-Dahlin/Andersson
R Johnson-Power
Samuelsson-Jokiharju
Clifton
Bryson
Andersson yes, hanifin no....for me anyways.

Reactions: MOGlLNY

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Technically Mitts can go to arbitration and accept a 2yr deal to walk himself to UFA. It's not the smartest move as he'd be losing money
I don’t think he can get no movement protection via arb. So he can get a below market deal and traded.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
The player can choose a 1 or 2yr deal, he would just screw himself out of millions that he'd make with 1yr left to UFA as much more likely to get a 7yr deal or the trade +8
Unless the millions and term aren’t offered. If the Sabres do not plan to sign him, he has more value with an extra year of control to a trade partner. Imho.

Reactions: Old Navy Goat

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
I'm not disagreeing, I'm just saying he could select a 2yr deal
Nor I with you. Mitts is not in a good place. Even if he takes an arb deal he can be moved. If he is offered a one year prove it he can be moved. The only thing that would give him some security is a long term deal and that isn’t a certainty as the Sabres could do the Samson dance with him. Seems silly, but not impossible.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Technically Mitts can go to arbitration and accept a 2yr deal to walk himself to UFA. It's not the smartest move as he'd be losing money
Mittelstadt can only elect for a two-year deal if the team files for arbitration, and it's unlikely that happens. If Mittelstadt files for arbitration, then the Sabres get to decide whether it's a one or a two-year deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad