Blues could use Casey Mittlestadt

jjniner

Feb 28, 2016
Blues need a number 2 centerman. Is he available? Do you plan on resigning him. I love his game and am asking what you would be looking for in return if you are not looking to extend?

Good luck in your playoff run. I was always a huge French Connection fan!

1708610263519.png

Reactions: rams

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010
Blues need a number 2 centerman. Is he available? Do you plan on resigning him. I love his game and am asking what you would be looking for in return if you are not looking to extend?

View attachment 823663
I think the team wants to re-sign him, but is open to trading him for something that helps us now, only because we already have 2 top 6 C's locked up long term.

In return, we'd probably need a good top 4 defenseman, preferably 23-28 yrs old, and a righty. I'm more willing than most (I think?) to go outside of those boundaries, but that's almost certainly what the team would be looking for.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
If Buffalo didn't have Mittelstadt right now, they would be looking for a player almost exactly like him. I will be stunned if he's traded and absolutely pi--ed if he's traded for anything less than a stud RHD. Parayko is too old with a contract into the next decade. It won't happen with StL, and probably shouldn't happen with any team.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in

View attachment 823663

I don’t think he’s available, but who knows? Get Mikkola 2.0, and Buchnevich and you can have Mitts and a 2nd or B prospect.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
We need Mitts. Trading him creates a hole, and more than "just" at 2C. He's the most versatile forward on the team.

And without Casey, it's pretty much a non-starter to move Cozens to wing, where I think his game might really blossom.

He's most attractive to teams lacking a center, so it's highly unlikely we get one back. Then we're praying that Ostlund turns into a viable 2C, and waiting at least 2-3 seasons to see if that's realistic.

Adams needs to be filling roster holes by packaging up picks and prospects, not trading a core player to create a new one.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
We need Mitts. Trading him creates a hole, and more than "just" at 2C. He's the most versatile forward on the team.

And without Casey, it's pretty much a non-starter to move Cozens to wing, where I think his game might really blossom.

He's most attractive to teams lacking a center, so it's highly unlikely we get one back. Then we're praying that Ostlund turns into a viable 2C, and waiting at least 2-3 seasons to see if that's realistic.

Adams needs to be filling roster holes by packaging up picks and prospects, not trading a core player to create a new one.
Not only could Cozens be better on the wing, we might need him there if Tuch can't be re-signed for cap reasons or wants to bolt. I'm still very high on Ostlund, but I'd like to wait for both he and Cozens to settle in their role before trading Krebs...let alone Mittelstadt (which I think is dumb anyway).

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007
Mitteltadt: I want to stay in Buffalo.
Adams: I expect to sign Mittelstadt.
Approx. 31 other fanbases on HF: hey as long as you’re shopping Mitts…

:facepalm:
People say a lot of things. If you take everyone's word on face value you are going to have a rough life. Adams waiting on this is going to cost the Sabres cap space if we do sign him. Mittelstadt probably wants to be in Buffalo but for the right price. Which could be more than what he might take from a larger city or winning organization.

If they let this thing go to the off-season Middelstadt could decide to just wait another year and get to free agency where he knows he will be paid and he can play for not a perennial loser.

• Wow
Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
People say a lot of things. If you take everyone's word on face value you are going to have a rough life. Adams waiting on this is going to cost the Sabres cap space if we do sign him. Mittelstadt probably wants to be in Buffalo but for the right price. Which could be more than what he might take from a larger city or winning organization.

If they let this thing go to the off-season Middelstadt could decide to just wait another year and get to free agency where he knows he will be paid and he can play for not a perennial loser.
I have no problem with putting Mitts on a 2 year deal seeing what happens and if all goes well we let him walk to FA and Ostlund replaces him for cap purposes. If he explodes further and we start competing again then we make some cap gymnastics.

If it doesn’t go well then we can trade him for value still with a year left. But for now we are a much worse team if we move Casey unless it’s for a bonafide top 4 RD which I don’t think we could get. And even then we will still be looking to replace Casey.

Reactions: Deep Blue Metallic

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
I have no problem with putting Mitts on a 2 year deal seeing what happens and if all goes well we let him walk to FA and Ostlund replaces him for cap purposes. If he explodes further and we start competing again then we make some cap gymnastics.

If it doesn’t go well then we can trade him for value still with a year left. But for now we are a much worse team if we move Casey unless it’s for a bonafide top 4 RD which I don’t think we could get. And even then we will still be looking to replace Casey.
But why would Mittelstadt do a two year deal? Especially at anything lower than what he and his agent see as market value?

He'd most likely do a 1-year deal to walk to free agency (since he is arbitration eligible) or want the security / salary of a longer term contract.

Reactions: Dingo44

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad