Blues Clues to An Early Exit

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
With their loss to the Vancouver Canucks in 6 games, the St. Louis Blues organization will yet again face a long offseason filled with numerous questions, not the least of which will be the recurring question (read: Nightmare) about their goaltending.

After outshooting a powerful Canucks team in 5 of the 6 games, the most glaring statistic at the end of the series is .888 v .925. Those are of course, the relative save percentages of Christobal Huet and Martin Brodeur, respectively, at the end of the series.

While the Blues didn't expect Huet to outduel Brodeur, they had hoped the goaltending match-up would not be so lopsided. In particular when facing a team with the best defence and second best offence at regular season's end.

With one of the most physical lineups in the league, along with arguably the best group of blueliners and a solid strategy, the Blues were able to at least contain to a degree, the top line on the Canucks and give themselves the chance to win with significant balance on their lines. The Blues also front loaded their PK team for the first time this year, with the Chara-Pronger duo put on the top unit to face the formidable Canucks trio of Staal, Malkin and Ribiero. The Canucks powerful powerplay was only convert 12.9% of their chances(versus ~19% during the regular season). Of course, with 31 opportunities, the Blues gave them anough chances to still score 4 goals in the 6 games.

That said, the performance of Joe Thornton also can't be ignored. With but 2 assists in 6 games, Thornton once again disappointed in the post-season. However this year, Big Joe also struggled during the regular season as well, while coaches tried to find the right compliment(s) to him on the top line. His post-season wingers of Mark Recchi and Guilluame Lattendresse were hardly elite when matched up against the Canucks top unit.

So, will the Blues finally make a move for a legitimate #1 goaltender? Will Thornton survive the purge that is likely to occur this offseason? Is the dressing room big enough for both Chara and Pronger? With Daniel Alfredsson the only elite winger, and an aging one at that, will the Blues fill the void left by the departure of Dany Heatley? Now firmly removed from their three consecutive President Trophies, should the team take a step back to reload versus counting on their current core, that might have missed their window?

No one within the Blues organization knows the answers to these questions at this point, but rest assured, they are taking a long look in the mirror and no player is likely untouchable.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
If it makes you feel any better, Thornton is sucking in the NHL playoffs, too...

Nah, didn't think it would. ;)

Your story has been like the Flyers of the Legion of Doom days - let down repeatedly by goaltending and discipline issues. Time for a new-look St Louis Blues?

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
I know you thought I was just paying you lip service before the series when I said I was scared of your team Nick, but I think they proved exactly why I felt that way.

Not only have I only been outshot a few times in the last 40-50 games, but it's been a very long time since I was outshot like I was in games 4 and 5 here. I guess Brodeur was in the end the difference. The special teams turned my way in the last three games as well. I don't know if you noticed, but I moved Malkin and the first unit to the second slot, away from Pronger-Chara. Other than Brodeur, that was the only positive change really.

Just as playoff calibre teams were bound to miss the second season this year in the West, teams worthy of a second round birth were going to go home early too. I genuinely think this series could have gone either way, and feel at least a little bit lucky to be moving on.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Thanks Sean. I probably didn't give you enough credit in the initial post, as I did note that change after the one game and opted to leave as is. "Damned if you do...", kind of thing.

Besides building around several elite players (Malkin, Staal) you made the aggresive move to give your team one of the best goalies in the world, and while you can't count on it in every series, it is nice to have a goalie pull one out for you when things are tight. I've never given myself that quality of goalie, and hence, have paid for it in several series losses like this.

Good luck in round 2. Despite my optimism about a potential upset in round 1, I did in fact pick your Canucks to win the cup in Brock's pool.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad