Half-Assed GDT: Blues Blue Jackets: All Star Break Eve

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
easiest shutout of his career

boring team that always gets outshot. whens the last time this team dunked on another team in the shot department?

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Lmao shutout by Columbus.

And now Bernie making excuses about the schedule. Bro they have a full week and a half off after this game, that’s an inexcusable effort against one of the worst teams in the league.

Normally I wouldn’t care because I wanted a top 10 pick but I know we’re not getting that anymore. We’ll probably end up with the worst case scenario - getting the 9th seed.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Lmao shutout by Columbus.

And now Bernie making excuses about the schedule. Bro they have a full week and a half off after this game, that’s an inexcusable effort against one of the worst teams in the league.

Normally I wouldn’t care because I wanted a top 10 pick but I know we’re not getting that anymore. We’ll probably end up with the worst case scenario - getting the 9th seed.

What’s more important?

1. Accepting the roster isn’t that skilled, the future should be stockpiled with high draft picks, and prospects. Doing everything you can to embrace the future.

2. Losing “the right way “, not trading for futures, and getting the 16th overall pick. Trudging along to next year with the same roster for the most part

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
What’s more important?

1. Accepting the roster isn’t that skilled, the future should be stockpiled with high draft picks, and prospects. Doing everything you can to embrace the future.

2. Losing “the right way “, not trading for futures, and getting the 16th overall pick. Trudging along to next year with the same roster for the most part

What happened to that 3 year plan I keep hearing about? Look, there are no guarantees with any of the above. None.

What's most important is Army keeping his job. It's kind of simple:

Army can't afford this team -not- to make the playoffs for an unforseen period of time and it's kind of lunacy to just say screw it, blow up the team and expect the picks and prospects to turn it around. We've seen several examples of teams doing that and some are still struggling to rise out of it. I want no part of that.

There is no magic formula of 'picking top 10' and having it work out to the point that we're in the playoffs. Hell, if we lose Buch and we might, pick top 10 and that pick is ready now and plays well, that doesn't do jack. It takes a lot more than that to get anywhere. Yeah, we have prospects in the system that look promising but even if all cylinders fire, we're still ending up with gaping holes on the roster that will be filled by yes... trading those very prospects.

So now we're back with Army. He's got a team that's running on -some- cylinders and he needs to build it so it makes the playoffs and does at least some damage. I expect us to wash-rinse-repeat, trade a few folks for some others, reclamation projects, etc. and try to make the playoffs that way. Blowing this team up would be difficult and potentially suicide for his job. I understood the tactic being used to be a 'short turn around' and in the end I think Army might realized that he outsmarted himself by the recent decisions he's made on this roster and that those decisions are coming back to bite him. He has time and some assets he can use to fix that, and I expect him to do that over a full-on rebuild.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
What happened to that 3 year plan I keep hearing about? Look, there are no guarantees with any of the above. None.

Army can't afford this team -not- to make the playoffs for an unforseen period of time and it's kind of lunacy to just say screw it, blow up the team and expect the picks and prospects to turn it around. We've seen several examples of teams doing that and some are still struggling to rise out of it. I want no part of that.

There is no magic formula of 'picking top 10' and having it work out to the point that we're in the playoffs. Hell, if we lose Buch and we might, pick top 10 and that pick is ready now and plays well, that doesn't do jack. It takes a lot more than that to get anywhere. Yeah, we have prospects in the system that look promising but even if all cylinders fire, we're still ending up with gaping holes on the roster that will be filled by yes... trading those very prospects.

So now we're back with Army. He's got a team that's running on -some- cylinders and he needs to build it so it makes the playoffs and does at least some damage. I expect us to wash-rinse-repeat, trade a few folks for some others, reclamation projects, etc. and try to make the playoffs that way. Blowing this team up would be difficult and potentially suicide for his job. I understood the tactic being used to be a 'short turn around' and in the end I think Army might realized that he outsmarted himself by the recent decisions he's made on this roster and that those decisions are coming back to bite him. He has time and some assets he can use to fix that, and I expect him to do that over a full-on rebuild.
this feels like a worst case scenario you are describing more than a likely one. do you want to be like buffalo and have all these shiny toys and miss playoffs for a decade? and they still are much worse than us and not close to making playoffs. nor is anaheim. or ottawa. and detroit has been out for how long and they can't get back over the hump to make playoffs. we got spoiled. not sure why everyone is so against trying to play good hockey and develop our players and our team.

no matter who we draft this year, unless we get celebrini who may be exception to this, our guy isn't going to make a significant impact for 3-4 years. and whether we pick 2 or 10, the quality of the player and their time away from being a stud isn't really that different in this draft. pretty much all our best prospects are at least 2-3 away from making impact. if we can find talent in 20-25 age range to deal for they can impact much quicker while we wait for dvo and snuggy and lindstein and stenberg and.. to become top guys for us and still be part of that core going forward. that is blueprint that DA is working from, best as i can tell. it might not work, but it's not like crapping the bed for years has worked for columbus and buffalo and the like.

Reactions: Mike Liut

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn

Nobody is claiming to have a magic formula that works perfectly.

I’m sure I heard or read that Stillman would be fine with a rebuild (lower revenue) if Army felt it was the right choice.

None of us know what deals are possible.

I’m not even suggesting a scorched earth rebuild. A scorched earth rebuild would be anyone available barring a couple of players.

I believe Freidman said there has been a lot of Blues players made available via trade and there are no takers. If that’s true, I would guess Faulk, Krug, Kapanen, & Vrana are among those names. I’m less certain about Faulk but who knows?

My suggestion would be (if possible) trade Buch for the best LHD prospect you can get. It’s not trading him at all costs, but I have to think there’s a return out there that warrants the deal.

I’m not trading Buch for just picks.

If the Blues finished bottom 10, I wouldn’t be stuck 100% on keeping the pick. I would at least see what young NHL players are available.

I believe maximizing a Buch trade can catapult the retool, rebuild, whatever name it is.

Realistically I expect very little movement from the Blues at this TDL.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
saad played 15 minutes tonight and didn't register any stats. no goals, assists, shots, missed shots, blocked shots, penalties, hits, takeaways, giveaways, faceoffs, nothing. there weren't many bright spots tonight, but there were maybe none that were as useless tonight as saad.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
My boss called me about 2 hours before puck drop and offered me an extra shift that would have been incredibly easy and all OT pay. I passed because I had tickets to the game. First time in my life I would have rather been at work than a Blues game, just zero effort tonight from the boys. Brutal.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
it might not work, but it's not like crapping the bed for years has worked for columbus and buffalo and the like.
While it's a low bar to trip over, at least our front office is more competent than what Buffalo and Columbus have. One can't get out of the way of its owner, the other has some self-inflicted issue that causes players to want to bail out left and right.

Reactions: Blueston

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Could you
Matt Kessel is my vote for bright spot of the season. Had seen some highlights in the A, but he’s really transitioned in to about as solid a 5-6 (at this point at the least) Dman as anyone. Really loving this player.
Could u See him becoming a solid 2nd pairing guy in a few years?

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Could you

Could u See him becoming a solid 2nd pairing guy in a few years?
Absolutely possible. He's been playing a fair amount on the 2nd pairing and looking quite capable after only 16 career games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad