Half-Assed GDT: Blues at Oilers: impossible canada trip continues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Army is really adamant about the Oilers not getting the first pick again. He told Hitch to let the Oilers win.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Giving up 4 PP goals and spending almost an entire period in the penalty box sure had nothing to do with it. Yeah lets blame the goalie! :shakehead

Allen looked like crap. The whole team looked like crap but Allen played his fecal part

BlueMagic

Oct 19, 2014
It's like they have everything they had mentally during that winning streak and now they can get themselves up to play lesser opponents. Hopefully they wake up for the next game.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Allen looked like crap. The whole team looked like crap but Allen played his fecal part

I don't care who was in net last night, the Blues lose.

Don't think you can blame the goalie at all for last night. But... it's the Blues so people just blame the goalie when the rest of the team doesn't show up.

Not saying Allen was stellar or anything but IMO just does not deserve ANY blame for last night.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I don't care who was in net last night, the Blues lose.

Don't think you can blame the goalie at all for last night. But... it's the Blues so people just blame the goalie when the rest of the team doesn't show up.

Not saying Allen was stellar or anything but IMO just does not deserve ANY blame for last night.

Allen's rebound control wasn't very good, he wasn't tracking the puck well, and his reaction speed was off.

You can blame whoever you want but Allen has had a rough week.

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
Not gonna win 'em all but geez, talk about pissing away an opportunity to take control of the division the last 3 nights. Though it's hard not to enjoy watching them these days when the team looks in sync and they're averaging 4 goals per game over their last 8 (non-shootout).

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Just got done watching the game... That was tragic. This team just doesn't learn lessons from their mistakes. It is exactly why I expect they will be eliminated in 6 again this year.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Allen's rebound control wasn't very good, he wasn't tracking the puck well, and his reaction speed was off.

You can blame whoever you want but Allen has had a rough week.

I guess we can agree to disagree. Cannot expect a shutout every game, goals are going to happen. All the penalties and awful defense last night is what killed us.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I guess we can agree to disagree. Cannot expect a shutout every game, goals are going to happen. All the penalties and awful defense last night is what killed us.

I don't think anyone is expecting a shutout every night or any other hyperbole like that. But Allen was bad...which is all people are saying.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
^^ The fourth and fifth goals were bad goals (five hole and a horrible short sider)...the third wasn't so hot either and his rebound control was poor all night. Allen had a bad night.

Taking too many penalties..well, that;s always been a problem for this team under Hitch (and I hope one that is remedied in the offseason). The goalie however is still expected to play well and he didn't last night.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
^^ The fourth and fifth goals were bad goals (five hole and a horrible short sider)...the third wasn't so hot either and his rebound control was poor all night. Allen had a bad night.

Taking too many penalties..well, that;s always been a problem for this team under Hitch (and I hope one that is remedied in the offseason). The goalie however is still expected to play well and he didn't last night.

So the penalties are OK because that's "always been a problem for this team under Hitch" but the goalie(s) who are a huge reason we are where we are in the standings deserve lots of blame for a game where the players were in the box for over 1/3 of the game?

I am sure that you are not excusing the penalties but that's the impression you are giving. Just chalking it up to 'that's just the way it is' and throwing blame at the goalie.

The Blues have only a +6 goal differential but sit tied for 2nd place in the entire league. Every single other division leader (top 3 in each) is at least a +20 except for NYR (+17). The biggest reason we are where we are is because of Allen and Elliott.

So when I see a game like this, when the Blues allow 4 PP goals and sit in the box for 1/3 of the game I just cannot put any blame on the goalie. Just can't. They don't deserve it and watching the game, the team in front played much worse than Allen.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
No one is saying Allen was solely to blame but absolving him of all fault is just as bad.

The whole team had a bad night ALONG with Allen.

SteenMachine

Oct 19, 2008
Fenton, MO
So the penalties are OK because that's "always been a problem for this team under Hitch" but the goalie(s) who are a huge reason we are where we are in the standings deserve lots of blame for a game where the players were in the box for over 1/3 of the game?

I am sure that you are not excusing the penalties but that's the impression you are giving. Just chalking it up to 'that's just the way it is' and throwing blame at the goalie.

The Blues have only a +6 goal differential but sit tied for 2nd place in the entire league. Every single other division leader (top 3 in each) is at least a +20 except for NYR (+17). The biggest reason we are where we are is because of Allen and Elliott.

So when I see a game like this, when the Blues allow 4 PP goals and sit in the box for 1/3 of the game I just cannot put any blame on the goalie. Just can't. They don't deserve it and watching the game, the team in front played much worse than Allen.

So basically you can't admit Allen has been letting in goals he shouldn't be and most of them were the difference between having to pull him and let in an empty netter or getting lit up when the other team has an extra attacker? Duly noted.

Klank Loves You

Feb 21, 2015
Am i the only one who is not overly concerned? They've shown consistently that they have difficulty getting hyped for bad teams. I much rather go in as a 2-3 seed, and play the Stars/Hawks in the first round.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Am i the only one who is not overly concerned? They've shown consistently that they have difficulty getting hyped for bad teams. I much rather go in as a 2-3 seed, and play the Stars/Hawks in the first round.

My problem is that they specifically noted this being a problem. Got lit up by Calgary and we heard the same rhetoric. So we should expect a bounce back in Edmonton....well they bounced alright.

This team lacks mental focus. The blown leads and this lack of being prepared show that.

Klank Loves You

Feb 21, 2015
My problem is that they specifically noted this being a problem. Got lit up by Calgary and we heard the same rhetoric. So we should expect a bounce back in Edmonton....well they bounced alright.

This team lacks mental focus. The blown leads and this lack of being prepared show that.

Im not disagreeing with you, but they have also shown that they can be the best team in hockey when on form. We could be in a far worse situation. At this point, we know what this team is. That isn't going to change.

Im more worried about Vladdy. If it's an injury, how do we get him healthy before the playoffs?

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
So basically you can't admit Allen has been letting in goals he shouldn't be and most of them were the difference between having to pull him and let in an empty netter or getting lit up when the other team has an extra attacker? Duly noted.

:laugh: Okay. However you want to translate me saying "Allen does not deserve ANY blame for last night" is up to you.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013

You are really cherry picking your stats. We are on par with goals scored with the Hawks and the Kings but we lag the Hawks slightly and the Kings by a lot in goals against.

I'm not excusing the penalty minutes but think a significant change in that department will require a different coach...some of that is on the coach--it's a fundamental that need to be drilled and emphasized.

The goaltender is the most important position on the ice...if the goalie has a bad night, you tend to lose. We scored 4 goals...that should be enough to win 90% of the time. Most every goalie in the league is capable of the big save...it's the ones who do it night in and night out with consistency that distinguish themselves as elite aka reliable. Allen gave up 2 goals that were "bad goals".

Elliott has been superb this year-the best I've seen him play in his recent streak of play. Allen has tailed off considerably and is showing the same types of valleys that seem to have plagued him his entire career...great peaks--yes..but too many valleys. We'll see if he can turn it around.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
You are really cherry picking your stats. We are on par with goals scored with the Hawks and the Kings but we lag the Hawks slightly and the Kings by a lot in goals against.

I'm not excusing the penalty minutes but think a significant change in that department will require a different coach...some of that is on the coach--it's a fundamental that need to be drilled and emphasized.

The goaltender is the most important position on the ice...if the goalie has a bad night, you tend to lose. We scored 4 goals...that should be enough to win 90% of the time. Most every goalie in the league is capable of the big save...it's the ones who do it night in and night out with consistency that distinguish themselves as elite aka reliable. Allen gave up 2 goals that were "bad goals".

Elliott has been superb this year-the best I've seen him play in his recent streak of play. Allen has tailed off considerably and is showing the same types of valleys that seem to have plagued him his entire career...great peaks--yes..but too many valleys. We'll see if he can turn it around.
I'm cherry-picking stats by comparing the Blues to all other top 3 division leaders in the entire league while you just compare them to LA and CHI? Yeaaaahhhh.....

Anyways, You are right, scoring 4 should be enough to win. Playing 1/3 of the game on the PK is not good enough to win. Even with 4 goals, it's a tossup. Just like it was last night.

Allen and Elliott have both played fantastic this season and both have at one point lead the league in GAA and SV%. I will never understand this mentality of you have to like one or the other. I personally like both of them and have the upmost confidence in both Allen and Elliott. The problem with this team is their scoring and their system with a dash of weak mental toughness.

Allen just won 6 in a row after missing a month and before he was injured he was among the best in the league and at point leading all goalies in stats. The Blues lay a couple clunkers (as a TEAM) and suddenly Allen is the bad-guy again and has "tailed off"

Sorry but 6-2-0 after missing a month due to injury is not tailing off. That's pretty good actually.

But keep harping on our goalie please. I will be sure to let you know that Elliott has "tailed off" after he loses just two in a row with the team playing like this in front of him next time it happens.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
I'm cherry-picking stats by comparing the Blues to all other top 3 division leaders in the entire league while you just compare them to LA and CHI? Yeaaaahhhh.....

Anyways, You are right, scoring 4 should be enough to win. Playing 1/3 of the game on the PK is not good enough to win. Even with 4 goals, it's a tossup. Just like it was last night.

Allen and Elliott have both played fantastic this season and both have at one point lead the league in GAA and SV%. I will never understand this mentality of you have to like one or the other. I personally like both of them and have the upmost confidence in both Allen and Elliott. The problem with this team is their scoring and their system with a dash of weak mental toughness.

Allen just won 6 in a row after missing a month and before he was injured he was among the best in the league and at point leading all goalies in stats. The Blues lay a couple clunkers (as a TEAM) and suddenly Allen is the bad-guy again and has "tailed off"

Sorry but 6-2-0 after missing a month due to injury is not tailing off. That's pretty good actually.

But keep harping on our goalie please. I will be sure to let you know that Elliott has "tailed off" after he loses just two in a row with the team playing like this in front of him next time it happens.

1. I don't favor Elliott over Allen or vice-versa--I favor whoever is playing best.
2. I prefer to use the Kings and Hawks as a measuring stick..certainly as opposed to the Capitals. The Kings and Hawks have won 5 of the last 6 SC's and are the cream of the crop until another team proves otherwise.
3. I think we all agree that there may be problems with the coach and the system. I wanted a coaching change last summer.
4. In a discrete sense, it is more important for a goalie to stop the shots he should save than to make the spectacular save. Stopping the ones he should save (such as clearly short side shots that are allowed for failing to hug the post) set the table for the defense to funnel attackers to the certain areas of the ice. If the defense loses confidence in the goalie to make the obvious saves, it can turn into chaos and severely deflate the team.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
It's like your on some Crusade that no one else is fighting....even the enemy isn't on the field.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011

I truly hate this line of thinking.

Allen has played in the NHL for two years and everyone loves to just think we've seen what he can do. I really don't think Elliott has been any more impressive than Allen this year. I'm not going to say Allen has played well the last few games, but I don't think Elliott is going to be any better when he comes back from his injury. So if we are going to forget about Allen's play earlier in the season, we have to do the same for Elliott.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad