Confirmed with Link: Blues Announce Schenn 24th Blues Captain

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
hopefully after a few seasons, sunny will be named next captain unless they bring back chuckie sideburns

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
and i think you would agree that a point per game center who plays 18:21 minutes a night at a +20+ pace would be great value for what Schenn is being paid. it's not fair for folks (not you) to criticize him for not being the 1c he isn't being paid to be (and the the club doesn't expect him to be). he is dang good player and has been dang good blue. and while most everyone expects him to age poorly, there is definitely precedent for talented physical guy like schenn to be quite effective player into mid-late 30s (shanahan, iginla, walt, etc.)

isnt Marchant 35 right now? I think Schenn still has 3-4 good years in him. Even if he’s moved down to the 3rd line eventually, he should be fine down the road.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
This is a typical Army choice, picking a more old-school veteran. As such I am a little disappointment. I was hoping he'd wait until one of the younger generation was ready. After all, he said his biggest challenge was relating to the younger generation. Wouldn't a leader from that generation have helped? It just seems like we are clinging to one of the last remnants of the cup team than picking someone who is going to be a big part of the future.

Still, I like Schenn. He is solid. He seems a decent leader. As a stop gap pick during a rebuild, it isn't terrible.

Most importantly, I don't think Captaincy means much anymore. People were saying we'd lose very game with Kyrou as captain. If the captain matter that much, than you deserve to lose every game. That would be on the players, not the captain.

In the end, whatever. Congrats to Schenn. I don't think anyone they picked would be handed the cup any time soon. Not until we fix our D. So this doesn't really matter.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Army made the right pick. I hope he'll be able to inspire the whole team to bring back some pride in their play, and try their best to play winning hockey. Now if they can help the defense to improve....... that would be nice.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
This is a typical Army choice, picking a more old-school veteran. As such I am a little disappointment. I was hoping he'd wait until one of the younger generation was ready. After all, he said his biggest challenge was relating to the younger generation. Wouldn't a leader from that generation have helped? It just seems like we are clinging to one of the last remnants of the cup team than picking someone who is going to be a big part of the future.

Still, I like Schenn. He is solid. He seems a decent leader. As a stop gap pick during a rebuild, it isn't terrible.

Most importantly, I don't think Captaincy means much anymore. People were saying we'd lose very game with Kyrou as captain. If the captain matter that much, than you deserve to lose every game. That would be on the players, not the captain.

In the end, whatever. Congrats to Schenn. I don't think anyone they picked would be handed the cup any time soon. Not until we fix our D. So this doesn't really matter.

Ya, Schenn is so f***ing old he can't communicate with someone 10 f***ing years younger than him :huh:

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
The Blackhawks are at least going without a captain this year. I do wonder if they will go with a more veteran guy when they name one, or give it to Bedard young like the Oilers did with McDavid. I suspect the latter after this season, but that's purely speculative on my part.
They are 100% waiting for Bedard to have a year or two under his belt.

Reactions: mk80 and Blueston

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
isnt Marchant 35 right now? I think Schenn still has 3-4 good years in him. Even if he’s moved down to the 3rd line eventually, he should be fine down the road.
He is. But despite his reputation as a pest, he plays quite a bit less physical than Schenn. Marchand has never had 90+ hits in a season while Schenn's career low is 109 hits (in 47 games as a 2nd year player). Schenn has more than double the career hits of Marchand and almost three times as many fights. In 3 more seasons, that gap will widen even further. Schenn plays a style that is more taxing on the body than Marchand does.

It's far from a guarantee that Schenn falls off a cliff in the next couple years, but Marchand isn't the type of player Schenn is. There is reason to be concerned about the potential longevity of a guy with 1798 hits and 858 games on his regular season resume before turning 32. It's a lot of city miles.

Reactions: Mike Liut

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
And Schenn would never do something like open his house to a young player. /s

A lot of players have done that. That doesn't mean he can give Armstrong insight into a younger player. Army specifically mentioned he had trouble relating to early 20s players and he could understand a guy in his 30s. Having Neighbours live with Schenn may give him some insight, but not as much as Rob Thom would have. Its not a big deal, but I would have preferred someone closer to the age of the core that we are going to build around (Thomas, Kyrou and the prospects).

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
He is. But despite his reputation as a pest, he plays quite a bit less physical than Schenn. Marchand has never had 90+ hits in a season while Schenn's career low is 109 hits (in 47 games as a 2nd year player). Schenn has more than double the career hits of Marchand and almost three times as many fights. In 3 more seasons, that gap will widen even further. Schenn plays a style that is more taxing on the body than Marchand does.

It's far from a guarantee that Schenn falls off a cliff in the next couple years, but Marchand isn't the type of player Schenn is. There is reason to be concerned about the potential longevity of a guy with 1798 hits and 858 games on his regular season resume before turning 32. It's a lot of city miles.

I hope we don’t see a Backes type of cliff from him.

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
backes was a better player and leader than schenn is

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Similar play styles but I think Schenn has the edge and IMO that is because he's a better skater. As for leader? Well we'll have to wait and see.

I think Backes was more physical and a better 2 way player. And I agree, Schenn is a better skater. I’d take Backes slightly over Schenn as an overall player. Really like both players. I’d like to have several more just like them.

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
backes was really good at getting teammates into the fights that actually matter. schenn just does dumb shit for the sake of doing it like chasing after kadri last playoff run for no reason when it was obvious the little dork wasnt gonna own up to what he did. perron did the same sort of shit. i can't recall backes doin stupid stuff like that in tied stages of a pivotal playoff game. thats why i always think very highly of backes

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
backes was really good at getting teammates into the fights that actually matter. schenn just does dumb shit for the sake of doing it like chasing after kadri last playoff run for no reason when it was obvious the little dork wasnt gonna own up to what he did. perron did the same sort of shit. i can't recall backes doin stupid stuff like that in tied stages of a pivotal playoff game. thats why i always think very highly of backes
Lol what, Backes lost his cool all the time. He was a major hot head.

Reactions: HighNote

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
not in a playoff game tied 0-0 like perron and schenn did after kadri took out binner
I mean all Schenn did was challenge him and Kadri skated away, it’s not that big of a deal and didn’t negatively affect the play.

Sure Perron took a dumb penalty but oh well, emotions run high. Still came through in the clutch more than Backes did in his time here.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I think Backes was more physical and a better 2 way player. And I agree, Schenn is a better skater. I’d take Backes slightly over Schenn as an overall player. Really like both players. I’d like to have several more just like them.
as similar as they are, they were i think quite different. schenn is an extremely talented player who plays with physical edge. backes had good but not great talent but played hard physical game. schenn seems more likely to age well bc he doesn't need to be as physical to be effective. iginla, for example, was great player well into 30s. now schenn isn't as good as iggy was, but that feels like the kind of aging curve that schenn could plausibly have (as opposed to backes fall of a cliff curve).

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
As physical as Backes was, he couldn’t fight worth a bit. I think Schenn would kick his ass.

Reactions: BlueDream

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis

Who cares about what Backes did in the 1st round of the playoffs?

Reactions: BlueDream

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I did enjoy his preolympic pugilistic tour.
Also when he "beat up a teenager" by knocking down rookie McDavid. Punching Captain Serious. And overall being willing to fight for real estate in front of the net and tip in shots. He made a pretty impressive career with what were overall somewhat limited skills (compared to other all-star/Olympic caliber players).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad