Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowboy

Oct 12, 2013
3rd on assists on this team
50 points in 62 games
Only 6 points behind PLD
He’s not what he used to be however I would not say he’s useless
........and a billion ice minutes...even a blind squirrel would rack up points. I did not say he was useless. I like what he gave us over the years, but man did he age quickly, some have it, some just loose it

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
It's Hella sunny today but only the crows are squawking
It's cold as hell out there today.

NHL GMs earn $2 million plus plus a year at minimum. You'd have to be crazy to turn down that job. Even if you blew up the team and sent in back 5 years you're not going to jail for failing.

Reactions: Stumbledore

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
........and a billion ice minutes...even a blind squirrel would rack up points. I did not say he was useless. I like what he gave us over the years, but man did he age quickly, some have it, some just loose it
He’s much slower no doubt, unfortunately he’s in many ways more effective than some of the younger guys and that’s why he gets the ice time, that’s not on him that is what the coaches decide.
His decline in his conditioning does create some awful turnovers or it kills plays no argument there.
To say he’s ineffective isn’t entirely truthful.
This team has a severe drop off after the the top 5 forwards.
This will be the most important off season yet.
The scary thing is one could imagine TNSE trying to keep the band together

Reactions: Stumbledore

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Ya, I'm not really buying this, no offence meant. People here talking about this "divided room" stuff is just bunk IMO, and propagated on these boards when absolutely no one here knows what's going on in that room.

In November it was all sunshine and roses. We were winning and the narrative was that the room was solid and everyone's on the same page. Here we are in March, we're losing, and now the room is a mess.
I don’t think the room is divided but this is clearly not a team all pulling in the same direction. They play with resignation as opposed to desperation.

None

Feb 22, 2012
Fair enough -- but why have they been so unable to capitalize on their chances in those games where the effort was there?

How have they gone to being a top 6-8 team in the league to being the 6th worst by point % since January?

Why don't other teams implode as the Jets have, year after year? How can teams with equivalent or lesser talent seemingly make the most of it, while the Jets underperform game after game, season after season?

Or ask why our trade deadline acquisitions look like our most consistent hardest working players.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Ya, I'm not really buying this, no offence meant. People here talking about this "divided room" stuff is just bunk IMO, and propagated on these boards when absolutely no one here knows what's going on in that room.

In November it was all sunshine and roses. We were winning and the narrative was that the room was solid and everyone's on the same page. Here we are in March, we're losing, and now the room is a mess.

Low hanging fruit.

people just throw out the same theories, room is toxic, given up on the coach and they don't try.. other then last night the effort has been there but scoring hasn't been, had we been able to capitalize on our play nobody would be talking about any of this

Jets were dominant early - but when nothing went in for them they got frustrated. When a couple went in for the Blues you could see them deflate.

Last edited:

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
You really think Ehlers fought Schenn over that crosscheck? He did it to try and ignite a bit of give a shit in his team. Unfortunately none of them responded. That’s why I’d feel let down if I were Ehlers. It’s not about someone running to his rescue, it’s about them all climbing on board.
Instead they let a team tanking for a high draft pick walk all over them like a used piñata. Not sure how you can see it any other way.
yes, I think ehlers fought him over the crosscheck considering it happened right after the crosscheck rofl... ehlers wants to ignite the team? then f***ing make a play with the puck, losing a fight to someone in a different weight class is not going to have a positive effect on this team...

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
Forget what? I've never heard this before.

It may be painfully obvious to you, but it's complete bullshit to me.

Yeah, I always wondered what she looked like in a bikini. Surprised to see that she's blonde after I'm pretty sure she said she was a blackhead.
The story about Dillon is true. He was a little more rambunctious in practice than the Jets were used to and someone (might have been Wheeler but I'm not sure) pulled him aside for a "talk".

It was reported in the Wpg. media.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
74th league wide p/60 all situations
126th league wide p/60 5v5

2nd p/60 all situations with the Jets
4th p/60 5v5

Potrzebie

Mar 25, 2010
The story about Dillon is true. He was a little more rambunctious in practice than the Jets were used to and someone (might have been Wheeler but I'm not sure) pulled him aside for a "talk".

It was reported in the Wpg. media.
Anyone got a link to this? I devour almost every shred of Jets related news in the local media and I don't remember this at all.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
yes, I think ehlers fought him over the crosscheck considering it happened right after the crosscheck rofl... ehlers wants to ignite the team? then f***ing make a play with the puck, losing a fight to someone in a different weight class is not going to have a positive effect on this team...
ROFL? Nice dismissive arrogance,
Yeah, Ehlers is going to fight a guy twice his size because he’s pissed about a crosscheck, one as you claim happens all game long every game. Give me a break, rofl.
His mistake was thinking it would have a positive impact on this lame ass team.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
ROFL? Nice dismissive arrogance,
Yeah, Ehlers is going to fight a guy twice his size because he’s pissed about a crosscheck, one as you claim happens all game long every game. Give me a break, rofl.
His mistake was thinking it would have a positive impact on this lame ass team.
so I guess in your head it's just a coincidence that he got crosschecked right before he decided to "spark" the team by fighting the same guy that crosschecked him... right...
I think you are the one feeling that his fight should have sparked the team and are projecting those feelings on to ehlers, when in reality he got crosschecked got frustrated and decided to get in a fight nothing more...

I love how we have two different theories about the same play on this forum, nobody stood up for ehlers so he had to do it himself or he did it to spark the team but it didn't work so now he's pissed...

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I'd agree - it was the crosscheck that was the final straw -
But the major incident was pure frustration with how things were going for the Jet this night (and probably a few of the earlier games).
Ehlers is not going to pick a fight with this guy after every cross check.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
people just throw out the same theories, room is toxic, given up on the coach and they don't try.. other then last night the effort has been there but scoring hasn't been, had we been able to capitalize on our play nobody would be talking about any of this
They are literally the 4th worst team in the league since the all star break. That’s a lot of working hard to get nothing shit luck. Their collective effort on a consistent basis from game to game during that time has been piss poor.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Anyone got a link to this? I devour almost every shred of Jets related news in the local media and I don't remember this at all.

No link but it was early in 2021, one of the first full practices.

Not a big deal but interesting in light of the much-discussed "intensity gap."

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
This is why stats are not to be taken seriously.
Wheeler somehow gets points making dumb decisions ... like the Panthers game he is 10 ft from the net instead of shooting he passes back to Scheifele with 2 Panther players between him and Scheifele. Scheifele scored but most of the time when Wheeler makes a pass it ends up on the opposing teams stick. I can see missing a pass here and there but lately majority of his passes are terrible.
I'll give him credit, when the pass gets through it's usually tape to tape as well as anybody in the league. Seems like he just stopped looking for lanes a few years ago and just tries to force them through now. Looks good when it works, but not very often that it does. Honestly on the powerplay he might be better suited on the blue line to tee up the players on the boards where he doesn't need to try to pass through players. He's great at getting the puck in the players' wheelhouse with good pace on the pass and from that spot you generally get a little less pressure and when you do your outlet is obvious, if the player attacks from the left you have an open player on the wall on the left and vice versa for the right. Wouldn't want to try it on the top unit but could be a worthwhile experiment on the second.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
so I guess in your head it's just a coincidence that he got crosschecked right before he decided to "spark" the team by fighting the same guy that crosschecked him... right...
I think you are the one feeling that his fight should have sparked the team and are projecting those feelings on to ehlers, when in reality he got crosschecked got frustrated and decided to get in a fight nothing more...

I love how we have two different theories about the same play on this forum, nobody stood up for ehlers so he had to do it himself or he did it to spark the team but it didn't work so now he's pissed...
See @LowLefty post above. This is how I see it, the crosscheck was the flash point, the frustration of the game and with his team was the catalyst. Whether he intended to spark them or not, he should be pissed everyone just continued to be a door mat for the Blues. That’s the point.
If I’m a teammate and see a guy like Ehlers be passionate/frustrated/pissed (choose your adjective), enough to get his face caved by someone several weight classes above him. Then I might want to look at myself and ask if I have a little more fight in me. None of them did.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
I would not say the room is toxic ... they just don't work together as a team.
You know its like the city workers ... one guy is doing all the work and the other 5 guys are standing around having a smoke and telling jokes but after work they all go for a beer together.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I'll give him credit, when the pass gets through it's usually tape to tape as well as anybody in the league. Seems like he just stopped looking for lanes a few years ago and just tries to force them through now. Looks good when it works, but not very often that it does. Honestly on the powerplay he might be better suited on the blue line to tee up the players on the boards. He's great at getting the puck in the players' wheelhouse with good pace on the pass and from that spot you generally get a little less pressure and when you do your outlet is obvious, if the player attacks from the left you have an open player on the wall on the left and vice versa for the right. Wouldn't want to try it on the top unit but could be a worthwhile experiment on the second.

Good comment, and interesting idea -- just crazy enough to work. It might also prevent Wheeler from shooting.

My only concern would be that a Wheeler bobble at the line leads to a breakaway he can't catch up to, but a trailing D would help prevent that.

Reactions: Atoyot
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad