Prospect Info: Blues 2023-2024 Prospect Thread

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
Not sure if we were watching the same practices/scrimmages. I've been at both days and Bolduc has been the biggest disappointment for me BY FAR of camp.

He should be head and shoulders above the rest of these guys (including Dvorsky) and I left camp today thinking Bolduc will never be a quality NHLer. He doesn't have the style to play in the bottom 6 and doesn't have the compete to play in the top 6.
I completely disagree. I think he has been very good and the idea that, after a very long season he should be “head and shoulders above the rest” is unrealistic. I think you assume that anyone who is a couple of years post draft should be so much better than everyone, but that’s just not the truth.

abel17

May 28, 2009
I completely disagree. I think he has been very good and the idea that, after a very long season he should be “head and shoulders above the rest” is unrealistic. I think you assume that anyone who is a couple of years post draft should be so much better than everyone, but that’s just not the truth.

You cannot tell me Bolduc has been very good this camp and expect me to respect your opinions on hockey because it just isn't true. I think Army and all of the coaches on the ice would tell you they agree.. now if you want to say:

This camp doesn’t mean anything too him. Other guys have stuff to prove, it may be him going through the motions. Especially concerning the 4v4 and 3v3. For other guys is it a chance to make an impression.
I can get behind this (and won't break the glass in case of emergency yet..)

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
You cannot tell me Bolduc has been very good this camp and expect me to respect your opinions on hockey because it just isn't true. I think Army and all of the coaches on the ice would tell you they agree.. now if you want to say:

I can get behind this (and won't break the glass in case of emergency yet..)
Actually, I was chatting with one of the coaches and that particular coach thought he looked good, but what would he know. Great skating and edge work, some excellent passes and moves during scrimmages, hasn’t been scoring, but is backchecking and playing with a bit of an edge. But all of that isn’t your opinion, so it has to be wrong.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Huard is a defenseman.

Dvorsky and Bolduc look great together.

Yes, he practiced and played yesterday. Buchinger was also out today.

D’Agostini is there two, but I didn’t see a third round pick.
Ha! Didn’t even notice that Huard was a d-man. He had good, quick zone entries.

abel17

May 28, 2009
Actually, I was chatting with one of the coaches and that particular coach thought he looked good, but what would he know. Great skating and edge work, some excellent passes and moves during scrimmages, hasn’t been scoring, but is backchecking and playing with a bit of an edge. But all of that isn’t your opinion, so it has to be wrong.
Bolduc hasn't backchecked at all these last couple of days so I highly doubt you've been talking to any coach that would say as much.

We can agree to disagree though mate! I hope he scores 30 goals this year in the A - I'm not rooting against the kid.. just giving an unbiased opinion.

Blueswin

Jun 13, 2021
Bolduc hasn't backchecked at all these last couple of days so I highly doubt you've been talking to any coach that would say as much.

We can agree to disagree though mate! I hope he scores 30 goals this year in the A - I'm not rooting against the kid.. just giving an unbiased opinion.
I think Tage Thompson is a cautionary tale that all young players don't put it together on the same time scale. 1 1/2 years after Tage was traded to the Sabers I don't think they thought they had a player. If Bolduc plays a couple years in the AHL & we can't see any advancement then they will be lots of opportunity to proclaim him a flop.

Reactions: southsider

Meatwagon

Blues=Overrated
Nov 15, 2010
Bi-polar Express
I would t be very worried about Bolduc right now. The kid has an amazing highlight reel tape in juniors and drove one of the best lines. If he went all out, he would be well above everyone but Divorceski(thanks pocketnines).

if he has a terrible camp and doesn’t even get into preseason games, then there may be some concerns. These kids take time to mature and a lot of them don’t truly succeed until D+6 seasons. Sure, some sooner, but most take awhile. And the expectations that someone D+2 is a first liner isn’t a fair expectation.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
His first goal showed high hockey IQ, IMO. When he didn’t see a pass option, he cut around in the corner (just like Thomas - just envision that), then he went straight to the net and scored on a snipe. He’s one of those players that when the puck is on his stick, you expect something to happen. I think he passed up a couple of pass opportunities in tight, but can’t really blame him for taking the shot instead.

Lindstein looked cool under pressure, high hockey IQ.

Dickinson was the fastest guy out there - he looked fully recovered from his broken leg.

One guy who stood out was Huard - looked like a guy who could play on the 4th line and not look out of place.
Huard is a D. Agree with the above tho

Reactions: tfriede2

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
I would t be very worried about Bolduc right now. The kid has an amazing highlight reel tape in juniors and drove one of the best lines. If he went all out, he would be well above everyone but Divorceski(thanks pocketnines).

if he has a terrible camp and doesn’t even get into preseason games, then there may be some concerns. These kids take time to mature and a lot of them don’t truly succeed until D+6 seasons. Sure, some sooner, but most take awhile. And the expectations that someone D+2 is a first liner isn’t a fair expectation.

With Bolduc entering his D+3 season, I certainly expect to see the questions about compete level lessen.

Coming off a big memorial cup run, my expectations are that he get a cup of coffee to begin the season, play 40+ AHL games and then get another ~10 NHL games before spending the end of the season in Springfield, so he can be involved in their playoffs (I'm expecting us to miss, and think that playoff experience in a pro setting can only benefit his growth).

First pro season for a late first - I'm expecting about 0.4-0.6 PPG and to hear positive trends about his work away from the puck and general involvement in the play. My concerns start to grow come his second pro-season if there isn't growth - giving credence to complaints about his lack of accountability and work ethic that I read on the board here a la Kyrou.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Kyrou at Bolduc’s age was nearly point per game in the AHL. There is not a chance Bolduc is even close to that this year.

Reactions: Blueston

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Kyrou at Bolduc’s age was nearly point per game in the AHL. There is not a chance Bolduc is even close to that this year.
Rattie scored at a 35 goal pace in his rookie AHL season. To say he has no chance at a highly productive season is nonsense, and whatever production he does have is pretty meaningless anyway.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Rattie scored at a 35 goal pace in his rookie AHL season. To say he has no chance at a highly productive season is nonsense, and whatever production he does have is pretty meaningless anyway.
Rattie was a much better junior player than Bolduc. Bolduc comes close to matching Rattie’s goal production in the AHL this year and I’ll Venmo you $20.

Production is most certainly not meaningless for a guy that hopes to become a top six forward. Guys who go on to become top six forwards typically produce pretty well in their first AHL season. There are exceptions, of course, but forwards typically peak in production around 23. If he can’t produce in the AHL at 20, there’s not a ton of hope that he’ll suddenly figure it out and become an NHL scorer.

EDIT TO ADD: The cut off for top six forward this year(with at least 25 games played) was .5 points per game(I took 32 teams times six forwards to get this rough estimate. Obviously some teams have more than six above this threshold, some less, but it’s a rough estimate.)

Guys on that number:

Arthur Kaliyev-31 points in 40 AHL games at 20 years old.

Wyatt Johnston-This coming season will be his 20 year old season. He’s a freak.

Anthony Cirelli-37 in 51 AHL games at 20.

Drouin-32 in 70 NHL games at 20, Only a brief, but productive, stint in the AHL.

Ryan Strome-49 points in 37 AHL games at 20. Wow. Way better than I would’ve guessed.

Frank Vatrano-36 goals, 19 assists in 36 AHL games at 20. Again, would not have guessed he was that productive.

Kent Johnson-40 points in 79 NHL games at 20. He’s a stud.

Eeli Tolvanen-36 points in 63 AHL games at 20. Lowest production of the group. I’d be thrilled with that season from Bolduc.

Mike Hoffman-49 points in 76 AHL games at 20. I think Hoffman is a pretty good comp for Bolduc if he makes it as a top six guy.

Again, there are probably outliers(like Tage who was utterly clueless until his age 24 season) but it’s far more common for guys who become scoring forwards to produce right away in the AHL. Production is not at all meaningless.

Last edited:

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
About Bolduc, he didn't have much time to prepare for the development camp. On June 21, he had a party with the cups in his hometown and he mentioned he was just back from Jamaica and had not been back in the gym or on the ice since the Memorial Cup final on June 4.

I read that Buffalo decided not to have his Quebec temmate Komarov for their development camp and NCAA champion Devon Levi because of how late their seasons ended.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
I missed the first day but was able to go the second day. Got a few notes that I am going to save for a write up later but just a couple of quick thoughts on the new guys.

Dvorsky: The one word I would use to describe him is control. He just controls things when he is out there. He adds another 10-15lbs of muscle and people are going to have a hard time knocking him off pucks.

Pekarcik: Chaos. This kid reminds me so much of a more skilled Toropchenko. Does everything 100mph. When it works it's magic but does cause some unforced mistakes. Could benefit by actually slowing down just a bit.

Stenberg: Very similar to Dvorsky, the kid just plays with a lot of control. Very good skater from what I saw and can hold onto a puck forever. Really good shot.

Lindstein: Calm. He just plays a very calm, smooth game. His stick is almost always well placed and he is fluid skater. Time will tell on the offensive upside but I think his defensive game will see him in the NHL sooner rather than later if he keeps developing.

Last edited:

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Zombo is definitely here in the back
He's got some added interest other than being a Blues alumni member and having his office steps across the building, Trent Burnham from LU is one of the invited goalies at camp

My thoughts on what I saw today: We are seeing this weekend why we walked away as winners from the draft! All of our first rounds picks Lindstein, Stenberg, but especially Dvorsky really elevate our prospect pool. Pekarcik was also very noticeable. Also I've said it before in past threads, Vadim Zherenko blue note pad design is pure perfection!

Last edited:

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I missed the first day but was able to go the second day. Got a few notes that I am going to save for a write up later but just a couple of quick thoughts on the new guys.

Dvorsky: The one word I would use to describe him is control. He just controls things when he is out there. He adds another 10-15lbs of muscle and people are going to have a hard time knocking him off pucks.

Pekarcik: Chaos. This kid reminds me so much of a more skilled Toropchenko. Does everything 100mph. When it works it's magic but does cause some unforced mistakes. Could benefit by actually slowing down just a bit.

Stenberg: Very similar to Dvorsky, the kid just plays with a lot of control. Very good skater from what I saw and can hold onto a puck forever. Really good shot.

Lindstein: Calm. He just plays a very calm, smooth game. His stick is almost always well placed and he is fluid skater. Time will tell on the offensive upside but I think his defensive game will see him in the NHL sooner rather than later if he keeps developing.

Burns: Raw. You see the potential there on certain plays but then you see him fumble something. Gonna take awhile but I do see something there.
Burns didn’t skate today, u just making things up?

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Future forward group?

Buchnevich/TBA-Thomas-Kyrou
Bolduc/TBA-Dvorsky-Snuggerud
Neighbours-Dean-Stenberg
Pekarcik-Alexandrov-Toropchenko

The defense is hard to project bc of future moves, but I’d assume Parayko, Lindstein, and at least two of Tucker/Buchinger/Perunovich/Kessel/Loof will be in our group of 7.

I also think of any of the forwards to get traded for an upgrade it’s Bolduc. The rest of the prospects scream “Blues style of hockey”.

Reactions: Blueston

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Future forward group?

Bolduc-Dvorsky-Snuggerud
Neighbours-Dean-Stenberg

The defense is hard to project bc of future moves, but I’d assume Parayko, Lindstein, and at least two of Tucker/Buchinger/Perunovich/Kessel/Loof will be in our group of 7.
Damn near have a full team of lefties lol

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Burns didn’t skate today, u just making things up?

You know your right, not about me making things up, but about Burns not skating. I was typing up notes in my phone during the camp and I believe I wrote notes about another player under Burns and didn't catch it when I transcribed them here. Not a 100% who those notes were about, I suspect Fischer since his notes are empty but not really sure so I will just remove my comments about Burns for now.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Rattie was a much better junior player than Bolduc. Bolduc comes close to matching Rattie’s goal production in the AHL this year and I’ll Venmo you $20.

Production is most certainly not meaningless for a guy that hopes to become a top six forward. Guys who go on to become top six forwards typically produce pretty well in their first AHL season. There are exceptions, of course, but forwards typically peak in production around 23. If he can’t produce in the AHL at 20, there’s not a ton of hope that he’ll suddenly figure it out and become an NHL scorer.

EDIT TO ADD: The cut off for top six forward this year(with at least 25 games played) was .5 points per game(I took 32 teams times six forwards to get this rough estimate. Obviously some teams have more than six above this threshold, some less, but it’s a rough estimate.)

Guys on that number:

Arthur Kaliyev-31 points in 40 AHL games at 20 years old.

Wyatt Johnston-This coming season will be his 20 year old season. He’s a freak.

Anthony Cirelli-37 in 51 AHL games at 20.

Drouin-32 in 70 NHL games at 20, Only a brief, but productive, stint in the AHL.

Ryan Strome-49 points in 37 AHL games at 20. Wow. Way better than I would’ve guessed.

Frank Vatrano-36 goals, 19 assists in 36 AHL games at 20. Again, would not have guessed he was that productive.

Kent Johnson-40 points in 79 NHL games at 20. He’s a stud.

Eeli Tolvanen-36 points in 63 AHL games at 20. Lowest production of the group. I’d be thrilled with that season from Bolduc.

Mike Hoffman-49 points in 76 AHL games at 20. I think Hoffman is a pretty good comp for Bolduc if he makes it as a top six guy.

Again, there are probably outliers(like Tage who was utterly clueless until his age 24 season) but it’s far more common for guys who become scoring forwards to produce right away in the AHL. Production is not at all meaningless.
We talk about production, but the Blues specifically told Bolduc to work on his two-way game and deferring a bit more to his teammates. It's pretty obvious that he did that better this year with 16 more assists but still hitting 50 goals. I won't lie to you and say it's no big deal that Bolduc isn't impressing right now, but I'm not super concerned with it either. If he comes into camp and competes OR if he is a decent two-way player and puts up 0.5+ points per game in the AHL, then that's fine with me. Nic Petan and Sven Bartschi both had really productive careers in the WHL with Rattie, but none of those guys could ever establish themselves as NHL players. Bjorkstrand also played on that team and had success in back to back years at over 100 points in those seasons, but played a different style than those guys. He scored at 0.57 points per game in the AHL, broke out in the playoffs, had another season in the A with 0.7 points per game, but didn't become a full time NHL player till his age 22-23 season. Obviously with being the 17th pick you'd expect Bolduc to get here quicker, but development isn't linear and that doesn't mean that's a bad thing. Kyrou didn't look like he was going to pan out until he did. Give the dude some time.

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
Future forward group?

Bolduc/TBA-Dvorsky-Snuggerud
Neighbours-Dean-Stenberg

I also think of any of the forwards to get traded for an upgrade it’s Bolduc. The rest of the prospects scream “Blues style of hockey”.
The more i watch of Stenberg the more i see a top 6 forward. I think he'll be a 1st or 2nd line player once developed. Great (under-rated) shot and seemingly makes everyone around him better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad