Post-Game Talk: Blue Waffle

Status
Not open for further replies.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Slap in the face Cuylle literally tries to drag this team to a comeback (forced penalty led to goal/made nice toe drag almost scored) and Blake Wheeler gets the chunk of the 6 on 5. Joke.
Exactly. While I understand our roster is depleted, it’s shit like this and what they did with Othmann that drives me up the wall.

Reactions: bl02 and majordomo

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
If anything, the long run of quality to elite goaltending adds pressure to secure that spot. It'll be the talk of the town around the league. All eyes on Shesterkin, with questions like, what's wrong with Igor? Is the Rangers' decades-long goaltending run over?

All due respect, we get goalied on a regular basis. That says to me that we aren't making it hard enough for the opposing goalies other than the royal road opportunities. If we win puck battles in front, if we screen better to take away their eyes.

Binnington was leaving a lot of rebounds early in the game, and we weren't there to scoop them up. I wish we'd make opposing goalies have to scramble a bit more and fight through some havoc around the goalmouth.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I do think we’ll be better for it having gone thru this. I think we’re a good team. I think lafreniere is becoming a star and I think drury will improve this team. Kakko AND it looks like Chytil will both be back. Listen Chytil is not sitting in a dark room like Michael Sauer. He’s training. If he were in serious trouble of not returning he would be completely shut down. I think he’ll be back soon enough. And drury will make a move at the deadline.

The shakeup though id love to see is lindgren in a package for chychrun i think it makes sense for both clubs. Id include Othmann in that deal too. You could finally give Fox a real top pair partner by putting that kid with him or miller with him. That’s what reallly needs to happen. We need a real upgrade on the blue line. Lindgren ain’t it.
Im starting to warm to that idea, in some capacity

And boy would I love Chytil back. He would make this team SO much deeper up front

Last edited:

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Completely useless player and a waste of minutes for anyone who’s deployed with him. Every season they waste hundreds of minutes on these bottom of the barrel plugs like Bonino, Mckegg, Reaves, Rooney, Goodrow, Leschyshyn etc. and NYR fans jump through hoops to dismiss the impact it has on the teams ability to win, both short and long term.

Why can’t we just waste the same minutes on younger players, who have actual track records of lower level production, who could at least conceivably be good? Guys like Gauthier/Kravtsov become memes on here and NYR fans basically brag about how happy they are that theyre gone meanwhile the team is serving them shit on a plate (Bonino) and they eat it up like it’s filet mignon. Every bottom 6er Drury has moved out (Gauthier/Krav/Barron/Blais) would be an improvement to the current team when fully healthy and wouldve looked like Gretzky in tonight’s bottom 6

I'm on board with this. I wish the organization would be less risk averse with the bottom 6 and instead of using just veteran guys on downward trajectories, flip it around and use mostly promising younger guys with at least upward trajectories even if they aren't that good in the beginning and sprinkle in a veteran guy here and there, like a Vesey. We'd probably go through hiccups in the beginning, but younger guys learn and get better, if for just physical maturation alone, and we'd end up with about the same record in the standings as we are freefalling now.

Drury definitely made tactical errors with signing Goodrow and Bonino, overestimating what they still have left in the tank. Probably Pitlick as well. He mistakenly that thought going to the IKEA as-is section and stocking up on jobbers was a solid move to fill out the bottom of the lineup. Giving Zibanejad that long extension is also biting him back.

Last edited:

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
The first 20 games NYR were great, the last 20 have been really mediocre- both in win/loss and also the eye test.

This isn't causal- but NYR dipped right around the time that Fox retuned from injury.

zlev

Dec 21, 2015
Completely useless player and a waste of minutes for anyone who’s deployed with him. Every season they waste hundreds of minutes on these bottom of the barrel plugs like Bonino, Mckegg, Reaves, Rooney, Goodrow, Leschyshyn etc. and NYR fans jump through hoops to dismiss the impact it has on the teams ability to win, both short and long term.

Why can’t we just waste the same minutes on younger players, who have actual track records of lower level production, who could at least conceivably be good? Guys like Gauthier/Kravtsov become memes on here and NYR fans basically brag about how happy they are that theyre gone meanwhile the team is serving them shit on a plate (Bonino) and they eat it up like it’s filet mignon. Every bottom 6er Drury has moved out (Gauthier/Krav/Barron/Blais) would be an improvement to the current team when fully healthy and wouldve looked like Gretzky in tonight’s bottom 6

man anyone that's "glad" Gauthier is gone is a friggin moron. he was a perfect 4th liner that you could actually move up the lineup in case of injury because he actually had talent. i could see him on the Mika-Kreider line right now, that would be tight. his problem was that he couldn't finish his chances but he generated a shit ton of them and was a penalty drawing machine. btw he has 9pts in 21 games for the f***in Islanders now in extremely limited minutes. i dare someone try to suggest that we couldn't use him right now.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
The first 20 games NYR were great, the last 20 have been really mediocre- both in win/loss and also the eye test.

This isn't causal- but NYR dipped right around the time that Fox retuned from injury.
Fox is avoiding criticism solely on reputation at this point. He's been so pedestrian.

I did think he was skating better last night, however.

Reactions: Brutananadilewski

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
f*** it!

It's been the go-to excuse for everything: war, migrants, child mortality rates, the economy, hair loss, veganism.

The Rangers are sucking due to global warming.

...And Igor.

Don't forget Sam blissfully unaware that he's jinxing everything with his statements.

Goes into a Starbucks with Joe for their morning coffee and says, "This coffee shop hasn't had an accident in over two years, Joe."

Later in the day, an employee burns themselves handling a venti hot mocha frapuccino with a loose lid.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Laf Trocheck Panarin
Kreider Mika Kakko

Cuylle Chytil Vesey
Goodrow Bonino Wheeler

This would be my ideal lineup if everyone is healthy. Although its likely the staff will put Wheels with Chytil. I just think he's a waste no matter what line hes on so it may as well be the forth getting less minutes. Yeah, I know. He can't play that role either. Brodz or even Belzile in that position would be better, but you know they aren't gonna sit him.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Laf Trocheck Panarin
Kreider Mika Kakko

Cuylle Chytil Vesey
Goodrow Bonino Wheeler

This would be my ideal lineup if everyone is healthy. Although its likely the staff will put Wheels with Chytil. I just think he's a waste no matter what line hes one so it may as well be the forth. Brodz or even Belzile in that position would be better, but you know they are gonna sit him.
That 4th line is fried ass.

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Season has gone the opposite of what i expected. Instead of struggling early 2hile learning Lavs systems, they came out like gangbusters and now are hot garbage.

BleedBlueNYR

Jan 25, 2019
New York
Yea but he also had great chemistry with CK and Zibs and we haven’t managed to find a replacement

Don’t forget the memes too
Or was it that Kreider and Zibs have great chemistry and he was along for the ride?

Gotta have the Pkers somewhere, but yeah. It will turn out as this:

Laf Trocheck Panarin
Kreider Mika Kakko
Cuylle Chytil Wheeler
Goodrow Bonino Vesey
Gotta make a deadline move for a RW'er though no? Pretty steep drop off after Panarin.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

It's not Fox's fault but he and Lindgren have been an awful pair at even strength since 2022, and are almost completely incapable of producing offense together. That makes sense to me.

The biggest problem with the Rangers right now, that's in their control, is a bunch of combos that don't work but they've been around while so we think they work.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The biggest takeaway for me last night is how effective Kreider was.

He and Zibanejad were a good combo and I maintain that, even now, we could do worse, but they've lost their luster.

Kreider shouldn't be "fine" at even strength. He's been a cheat code at even strength his whole career.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I respect tf out of his shot blocking and if it was one of many abilities that he had it would be fine. The problem is he literally cannot do anything else. Actually he has one other skill which is wearing that neck guard and having his bald head stick out looking like a stupid thumb
If there’s every was a homeless NHL player - Bonino looks like one with this rag around his neck but it’s besides the point.

The point is that while acknowledging his complete lack of offensive abilities and noting his PK and especially shot blocking contributions it’s imperative that he’s not hurting the team otherwise, and it hasn’t been the case for a little while now. He’s giving up own and neutral zone turnovers on bad passes, he doesn’t win any 50/50 battles and he has been committing penalties. That’s too high of a price and I’m sure if not for the injuries Bonino would be wearing street clothes if not being actually sent to Hartford.

Reactions: 80shockeywasbuns

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
The biggest takeaway for me last night is how effective Kreider was.

He and Zibanejad were a good combo and I maintain that, even now, we could do worse, but they've lost their luster.

Kreider shouldn't be "fine" at even strength. He's been a cheat code at even strength his whole career.
some of us have been begging to split up the odd couple for over a year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad