Blue Jays/MLB 2024

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
what was their biggest problem over 162 last year? couldn't hit.

this year, yes it's only 7 games in, but they've already had a no-hitter and a 1-hitter pitched against them. same old story. Atkins did nothing to address what was by far the biggest glaring need in the lineup. If Vladdy and Bo don't BOTH play like MVP candidates, this team has no shot.

Atkins and Shapiro were so hyper focused at last years offseason about the right-lefty balance in their lineup that they didn't even look to see if the leftys they brought in could actually hit, they didn't care, they just wanted lefty's. now they've stripped the lineup of almost all it's power and contact ability. And now this offseason they bring in Turner, Volgelbach and IKF and these guys are not the answer. Turner definitely could've been if the Jays got the Turner of 10 years ago, but he's a shell of what he was.

The Varsho for Guerriel + Moreno trade is inexcusable. 3 years ago this was THE team to watch coming up and maturing into a powerhouse. now they're just another middling team that may or may not make the playoffs.
Wow, lol. I inexplicably had forgotten Guerriel was part of that trade. It was inexcusable and unforgivable to me when I was thinking it was just Moreno.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
what was their biggest problem over 162 last year? couldn't hit.

this year, yes it's only 7 games in, but they've already had a no-hitter and a 1-hitter pitched against them. same old story. Atkins did nothing to address what was by far the biggest glaring need in the lineup. If Vladdy and Bo don't BOTH play like MVP candidates, this team has no shot.

Atkins and Shapiro were so hyper focused at last years offseason about the right-lefty balance in their lineup that they didn't even look to see if the leftys they brought in could actually hit, they didn't care, they just wanted lefty's. now they've stripped the lineup of almost all it's power and contact ability. And now this offseason they bring in Turner, Volgelbach and IKF and these guys are not the answer. Turner definitely could've been if the Jays got the Turner of 10 years ago, but he's a shell of what he was.

The Varsho for Guerriel + Moreno trade is inexcusable. 3 years ago this was THE team to watch coming up and maturing into a powerhouse. now they're just another middling team that may or may not make the playoffs.
Vladdy and Bo don't need to be MVP players. They need to stop trying to crush the f*** out of the ball during clutch at bats. Both of them have this uncanny ability to completely abandon their approach at the plate in tight situations and swing out of their shoes. It's been this way for years and a major reason why they both come up empty every time it counts.

I firmly believe they'll level out. But they need to not sit guys like Davis Schneider, and let him play everyday. They have arguably the best pitching in the league when Romano and Swanson get healthy. They don't need power. They just need consistency, and that starts with sticking to your game plan at the plate.

Yes, the Moreno trade was brutal. Losing Lourdes was whatever to me. He sucked defensively and would disappear for long stretches. Him finally finding consistency in AZ just is what it is, and I agree with the notion that the vibe in the clubhouse was way too goofy for a team that was supposed to be maturing into a powerhouse.

The problem with the Jays has always been the same. When their bats are going, the pitching is terrible. When the pitching is locked in, the bats disappear. Their inability to have both aspects going at the same time has always been their downfall. It's why the 2015 teams couldn't get it done despite having a ton of talent all over.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
It's also funny to see Turner talked down as some sort of shitty acquisition, and that other than Bo and Vladdy they have nothing. If we're going to use stats after 7 games to be negative about things, let's look at some of these stats.

Turner .318/.423
Schneider .250/.333
Clement .267/.267
Falafel .250/.368

Bo .150/.190
Vladdy .208/.367

Seems like Bo and Vladdy are the ones not delivering so far.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
It's also funny to see Turner talked down as some sort of shitty acquisition, and that other than Bo and Vladdy they have nothing. If we're going to use stats after 7 games to be negative about things, let's look at some of these stats.

Turner .318/.423
Schneider .250/.333
Clement .267/.267
Falafel .250/.368

Bo .150/.190
Vladdy .208/.367

Seems like Bo and Vladdy are the ones not delivering so far.
The poster that was putting Turner down has been silent about him for a week now.

Time for my Yanks to lay a beating on the reeling Jays for the 4 game set.:pickle:;)

• Love
Reactions: brentashton

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
I can't believe how inept the Jay's offense is. Good thing they brought back the hitting coach and the offense coordinater Mattingly 🤣🤣

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Shut the Yanks out in their home opener and first time this has happened since ‘67 to the Yankees. Leafs fans will be crowing how it’s an omen of things to come for the Leafs.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
“It’s only 8 games” will turn into “It’s only May” then “they’ll get help at the deadline.”

We’ve seen this story before last year. Atkins has been a disaster, time to move on and let somebody else build this roster.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
JFC, they might be mathematically eliminated by the time I go to Seattle.

Hard to believe the offense could be worse than last season but here we are.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
“It’s only 8 games” will turn into “It’s only May” then “they’ll get help at the deadline.”

We’ve seen this story before last year. Atkins has been a disaster, time to move on and let somebody else build this roster.
They never should have let Anthopolous go.

And to be fair, we saw that with the Oilers for the first month this year.

"It'S oNlY 12 gAmEs" was the sentiment tossed around when people said the overreactions were silly, and yet again here we are.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

"It'S oNlY 12 gAmEs" was the sentiment tossed around when people said the overreactions were silly, and yet again here we are.
Difference is that the Oilers have had three straight years of performance to suggest they might bounce back.

The Jays were terrible offensively last season so there isn’t any reason to believe they’ll suddenly bounce back this season.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

No the Jays never should have let AA go. So much of his tenure in Toronto was Roger’s refusing to give him a budget allowing him to compete. That never changed until 2015 when Beeston (who was retiring anyway) gave him the go ahead at the deadline to beef up his roster and the Jays made the post season and the fans came back. Roger’s was suddenly willing to spend more cash but it was too late for AA because Shapiro had already been hired and he wanted his own people, even going so far as to chastise AA for spending assets at the deadline that could have been used going forward by the new group. Irony being it was the spending of those assets that created the surge of interest in the team that inspired Roger’s to spend more money.

What would AA have been able to accomplish had he been allowed to spend what Shapiro and Atkins were given since his departure? It wouldn’t have been difficult to run a better baseball organization than those two idiots have. Terrible managerial hires, terrible trades, poor clubhouse culture allowed to fester for years and poor prospect development just to name some of the issues. The only things Shapiro has to crow about during his tenure are the stadium and minor league facility renovations as if he was the only person able to get those done. He just happened to be the guy in charge when Roger’s was willing to do it.
The team on the field has gotten worse every season since the prospects he inherited from AA started to plateau. All the money he’s spent to fill out that lineup has been wasted. I’d have gladly given the previous regime another 9 years over the waste of time this one has been.

Reactions: fresh meat

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
What has happened to Geurrero and Bichette? They were supposed to be the cornerstones and they're now playing like they want out. Vladdy has stated several times "I would never play for the Yankees!" Guess what, the Yanks don't want you!

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
So yesterday I read the Jay are first team in like hundred years to end up going hitless in one game and only one hit in another in so few games to start the year.

Today the caption from Sportsnet I get is their pitching is terrible.

What a week:laugh:

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Good start tonight.

Seems like Shapiro has been more concerned with the Rogers renovation then building the roster. Atkins has not done a good job at all even though he started with a great farm system and the ability to spend big.

They’re living off the Bautista/Encarnacion/Donaldson days that got a renewed shot of energy at just the right time with exciting young players in Vladdy and Bichette but they’ve stagnated and the team can’t win when it matters and if they don’t get in and win a round or two in the fall it’s not even a question that they clean house in management because they’re going to this beautiful new and empty ballpark.

Shapiro sold Rogers on spending big on the roster while also dumping hundreds of millions into Rogers and the team hasn’t won a playoff game. Fans are out of patience and between that and the cost of living, they won’t be interest in paying the premium Rogers surely expects after all the money they’ve spent.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Good start tonight.

Seems like Shapiro has been more concerned with the Rogers renovation then building the roster. Atkins has not done a good job at all even though he started with a great farm system and the ability to spend big.

They’re living off the Bautista/Encarnacion/Donaldson days that got a renewed shot of energy at just the right time with exciting young players in Vladdy and Bichette but they’ve stagnated and the team can’t win when it matters and if they don’t get in and win a round or two in the fall it’s not even a question that they clean house in management because they’re going to this beautiful new and empty ballpark.

Shapiro sold Rogers on spending big on the roster while also dumping hundreds of millions into Rogers and the team hasn’t won a playoff game. Fans are out of patience and between that and the cost of living, they won’t be interest in paying the premium Rogers surely expects after all the money they’ve spent.
Could be worse. They could be like the Mets, with the highest payroll in baseball last year and finished in the basement.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Just noticed the Jays unveiled a banner commemorating their 3 wild card post season appearances from 2020-23. We love to poke fun at the stupidity of Toronto fans and we have no shortage of reasons to do it. They truly are a city of losers.

Reactions: TB12

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Atkins signed 38 year old Justin Turner as the solution to the Jays offensive woes. Hitting a glorious .100 so far.

Meanwhile Cashman actually went out and did something with Soto and he’s hitting .500 with a 1.261 OPS so far.

Very small sample size but I’d be surprised if the results change too drastically by game 162.
Turner hitting a glorious .350 now.

Soto hitting .360 now.

Amazing what a few weeks can do to settle down little shrill voices after cherry picking certain players.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Turner hitting a glorious .350 now.

Soto hitting .360 now.

Amazing what a few weeks can do to settle down little shrill voices after cherry picking certain players.
Yeah, I mean it’s not like Turner is 39 years old and won’t be on the Jays roster to help them after this season.

Oh, wait.

Yankees are off to another hot start btw. Meanwhile the Jays are languishing in last place with an anemic offense.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
Yeah, I mean it’s not like Turner is 39 years old and won’t be on the Jays roster to help them after this season.

Oh, wait.

Yankees are off to another hot start btw. Meanwhile the Jays are languishing in last place with an anemic offense.
Saying they are last place in the Al east is something that needs to be talked a little more though. They are one game below 500. In the Al east that gets you last right now, everywhere else you are mid pack.

The offense is indeed terrible, but they are treading water right now as a team. I’m still think a wildcard is pretty possible but the disappointment of what this team has become vs what we thought it could is very real.

Reactions: Cloned

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Oh, wait.

I don't care if Turner is 103, or where he'll be in 10 years, let alone next year. You were the one that compared the players after 3 games. And now, you're looking like the complete fool. You've been owned on your own comparison, lol, and now want to play some strawman.;)

Last edited:
Reactions: TB12

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I don't care if Turner is 103, or where he'll be in 10 years, let alone next year. You were the one that compared the players after 3 games. And now, you're looking like the complete fool. You've been owned on your own comparison, lol, and now want to play some strawman.;)
Soto is gonna be a huge part of the Yankees for the foreseeable future. Turner not so much.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Soto is gonna be a huge part of the Yankees for the foreseeable future. Turner not so much.
Isn't he expected to be a one-and-done? Tough to see the Jays being a team likely to get a guy like that extended long term. Would've likely been a waste of futures.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad