Blue Jays/MLB 2024

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
Was wondering how long it would take for someone to come along and remind us it’s early in the season and these guys will start hitting soon. 3 games, lol. Much quicker than last year. I don’t think there’s a lot of pop in this lineup outside of Springer, Guerrero and Bichette and as we saw last year if all 3 of those guys aren’t having big years that offence doesn’t score much.
It sure would be nice having Moreno in this lineup today. Jansen seems to be hurt all the time and Kirk just isn’t good enough to be more than a back up. I hate to beat a dead horse but I’d sure love to know what the Jays brain trust saw in Varsho to think he was worth dealing Moreno for. There’s no shortage of valid reasons to fire Atkins but that’s the unforgivable one for me.

This is an old video. They’ve been showing it for years on highlight packages. Still funny though.
Case in point, Turner now hits 286 on the season after today.

Split in Tampa im happy with. Get out of town.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Atkins signed 38 year old Justin Turner as the solution to the Jays offensive woes. Hitting a glorious .100 so far.

Meanwhile Cashman actually went out and did something with Soto and he’s hitting .500 with a 1.261 OPS so far.

Very small sample size but I’d be surprised if the results change too drastically by game 162.
Turner, J
3 - 4
HR, 2B, BB, 4 RBI, 2 R

Batting average .286
:laugh:;)

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Case in point, Turner now hits 286 on the season after today.

Split in Tampa im happy with. Get out of town.
Happy for him and them. I hope the team has a good year, I’m a Jays fan. I look at this lineup though and it doesn’t look good enough to me. I see a front office who, through incompetence, have squandered the promise the organization had five years ago and today their ceiling is likely an 85-90 win season trying to grab the third wild card spot. Hard to get excited about these guys after the last couple seasons but I’ve been a fan since the 80’s so I’ll keep watching.

Reactions: Stoneman89

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
Happy for him and them. I hope the team has a good year, I’m a Jays fan. I look at this lineup though and it doesn’t look good enough to me. I see a front office who, through incompetence, have squandered the promise the organization had five years ago and today their ceiling is likely an 85-90 win season trying to grab the third wild card spot. Hard to get excited about these guys after the last couple seasons but I’ve been a fan since the 80’s so I’ll keep watching.
Pretty much the same and been a fan through the same time period. I think your analysis is bang on, they can scratch out a wildcard which I guess is nice but don’t see them as a top team at all.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I'll be going to Seattle to take in the Blue Jays series July 5-7.

Hopefully they're not mathematically eliminated by then.
I did that last year and it was a blast. Made the mistake of taking the whole family though - all the "family" activities got in the way of baseball, and made the trip way too expensive. Added bonus for you this year - No Swifties leading to the price of everything going up for the weekend, ha ha.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
You guys need your own "my team is worse" thread :laugh:

Waaaaay too early to be having any real emotions. We just did this with Edmonton and they only had 82 games to straighten it out. The Jays are 2-3 and have another 157 games to go. Nothing to be gleaned from any stats across the board.

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
The 2024 Blue Jays might be the most 80-ist win team ever constructed.

The arms and bats just scream “meh”.

Fully prepared for a perfect 81-81 season.

Reactions: Sheikyerbouti

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Never caught the baseball bug. Only sport I detested playing. Puts me to sleep playing and watching. As a kid used to drive me just standing around all the time doing nothing or waiting to get at bat.

Could never get Baseball or Golf for all the waiting aspects.

Conversely love sports with flow like Hockey, Soccer when you're in the action all the time. Particularly in Soccer where the play is constant, and you're on field running constantly.

Surprised theres so many Blue Jays followers here. I'm of the nothing good can come from Toronto mind frame on most days.

I'll yell at some clouds now.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Waaaaay too early to be having any real emotions. We just did this with Edmonton and they only had 82 games to straighten it out. The Jays are 2-3 and have another 157 games to go. Nothing to be gleaned from any stats across the board.
Exactly, and I've told him this, but to no avail. Cloned get excited by a few games in a 162 game schedule and young girls dressed up like Supergirl.:D

Never caught the baseball bug. Only sport I detested playing. Puts me to sleep playing and watching. As a kid used to drive me just standing around all the time doing nothing or waiting to get at bat.

Conversely love sports with flow like Hockey, Soccer when you're in the action all the time. Particularly in Soccer where the play is constant, and you're on field running constantly.

Surprised theres so many Blue Jays followers here. I'm of the nothing good can come from Toronto mind frame on most days.

Guess you must have been the shits at it.;):D

Last edited:

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019

One of the rights of spring, your love of disliking baseball post, lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Drivesaitl

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

What are the Jays going to straighten out? They have a lineup that can’t hit. The time for them to “straighten things out” was last November when they should have purged that woefully incompetent management group and didn’t.

Reactions: Cloned

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
What are the Jays going to straighten out? They have a lineup that can’t hit. The time for them to “straighten things out” was last November when they should have purged that woefully incompetent management group and didn’t.
Uh huh.

Just because they don't have a murderers row of power doesn't mean they can't hit. Get back to me in a couple of months when teams have actually settled in.

Just like the Oilers.

Freaking out in the first week of a season is so ridiculous. Even more so when it's a 162 game season.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
Miserable night to be a fan of these 2 teams. 13-0 combined scores.

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
Uh huh.

Just because they don't have a murderers row of power doesn't mean they can't hit. Get back to me in a couple of months when teams have actually settled in.

Just like the Oilers.

Freaking out in the first week of a season is so ridiculous. Even more so when it's a 162 game season.
what was their biggest problem over 162 last year? couldn't hit.

this year, yes it's only 7 games in, but they've already had a no-hitter and a 1-hitter pitched against them. same old story. Atkins did nothing to address what was by far the biggest glaring need in the lineup. If Vladdy and Bo don't BOTH play like MVP candidates, this team has no shot.

Atkins and Shapiro were so hyper focused at last years offseason about the right-lefty balance in their lineup that they didn't even look to see if the leftys they brought in could actually hit, they didn't care, they just wanted lefty's. now they've stripped the lineup of almost all it's power and contact ability. And now this offseason they bring in Turner, Volgelbach and IKF and these guys are not the answer. Turner definitely could've been if the Jays got the Turner of 10 years ago, but he's a shell of what he was.

The Varsho for Guerriel + Moreno trade is inexcusable. 3 years ago this was THE team to watch coming up and maturing into a powerhouse. now they're just another middling team that may or may not make the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad