Blue Jays/MLB 2024

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Wut a horrific team. I mean one can complain all you want about management, but when you have your 2 best hitters (or close enough) barely hitting over .200, you're screwed.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Wut a horrific team. I mean one can complain all you want about management, but when you have your 2 best hitters (or close enough) barely hitting over .200, you're screwed.
Some people were saying there was too much goofing around in the dugout and during games, especially during the Montoya era, so they traded a couple of the prime suspects in Gurrel Jr. and Hernandez, who subsquently went to indivdual and team success with other organizations. But yes, the 2 guys that are expected to produce are simply not doing it, and I'm not sure what management can do about that.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
There's obvious deficiencies with the team, but Vladdy and Bo being complete non factors is still the biggest factor this year imo.

I actually quite like some of the new players they used to fill internal roles. Love Schneider and Clement. Varsho has been playing well lately, especially with KK on the shelf. JT has been great so far. Biggest real gripe for me was was Falafel. Not because he isn't a serviceable utility guy, but just that they seemingly have an abundance of them already. Wanted to see a big bat added there instead. But even he is out doing the two biggest players on the team.

Bo and Vladdy are not even close to carrying their weight here. It's still early, and i do think they'll come around, but so far I think it's the biggest issue.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Not a baseball question but how can anybody in Canada not in GTA be a fan of a Toronto based team. Even if I liked Baseball I wouldn't get beyond that aspect. Back in the day I tried to watch the Expos. Didn't get into it.

Don't watch the Raptors or cheer for them either.

In Canada, jmo, the way the country is run makes me anti anything Toronto.

nobody else feel this way?

• Love
Reactions: brentashton

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Not a baseball question but how can anybody in Canada not in GTA be a fan of a Toronto based team. Even if I liked Baseball I wouldn't get beyond that aspect. Back in the day I tried to watch the Expos. Didn't get into it.

Been a jays fan my whole life because they're the only Canadian team.

I'll always root for Canadian teams over everyone else with the exception being the Maple Leafs.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

To make a long story short I started cheering for the team decades ago before the Toronto media (while still ridiculous back then but could be easily tuned out) became overbearingly obnoxious. IMO, things never got out of hand until Roger’s and to a lesser extent Bell bought into all their sports teams and then had a vested interest in ramping up their bullshit to promote their teams. I never cared about the Leafs one way or another before that, they were just another team. Now I take just as much joy in watching them fail as I do watching the Oilers win. All because I am bombarded with their bought and paid for promotions every time I turn on a sports channel.
It is bad with the Jays as with the Leafs. I hate being told every year how good these players are when I can see they aren’t. It is a turn-off and makes it more difficult to watch but they’ve been my summer hobby for a long time so I’m still watching. I think the one saving grace with the Jays is they have a limited number of media covering that team compared to the Leafs so it’s easier to tune out that noise.
As far as the Raptors go. I’ve tried following that team over the years but it doesn’t stick for long periods. I find the NBA to be a very “fan un-friendly” league. The players have too much control, contracts mean nothing and small markets even less. I’ve found it unwatchable since the end of Covid.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Drivesaitl

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018

New York Yankees fan and proud Western Canadian approving of this message.

• Love
Reactions: Drivesaitl

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
To make a long story short I started cheering for the team decades ago before the Toronto media (while still ridiculous back then but could be easily tuned out) became overbearingly obnoxious. IMO, things never got out of hand until Roger’s and to a lesser extent Bell bought into all their sports teams and then had a vested interest in ramping up their bullshit to promote their teams. I never cared about the Leafs one way or another before that, they were just another team. Now I take just as much joy in watching them fail as I do watching the Oilers win. All because I am bombarded with their bought and paid for promotions every time I turn on a sports channel.
It is bad with the Jays as with the Leafs. I hate being told every year how good these players are when I can see they aren’t. It is a turn-off and makes it more difficult to watch but they’ve been my summer hobby for a long time so I’m still watching. I think the one saving grace with the Jays is they have a limited number of media covering that team compared to the Leafs so it’s easier to tune out that noise.
As far as the Raptors go. I’ve tried following that team over the years but it doesn’t stick for long periods. I find the NBA to be a very “fan un-friendly” league. The players have too much control, contracts mean nothing and small markets even less. I’ve found it unwatchable since the end of Covid.
It's sad because the guys that cover it know that they can't speak their opinion or the gravy train might be gone.

It is however better when some of those guys that cover the Jays are just on local shows. They tone it down quite a bit. But if you want actually non bias baseball coverage on the Jays you have to tune to someone from out of market talking about them. Otherwise you get the whole "It's the Jays year". And then when it's over the 3 million excuses come out.

Reactions: rboomercat90

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Huge surprise - Mike Trout to undergo knee surgery. The guy is a living, walking band-aid. A talented band-aid, mind you, but a band-aid nonetheless.

Not the way the ball hit his hand holding the beer.;)
He’s not holding the beer, it’s sitting on the ledge. His hand is elsewhere. If you look at the wide angle view you can see the ball hit the can and then go straight up in the air. I can’t see the screen either but if it wasn’t there then the ball should have hit that guy too but it didn’t. Instead it travelled up like there was something preventing it from following its natural path.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
Huge surprise - Mike Trout to undergo knee surgery. The guy is a living, walking band-aid. A talented band-aid, mind you, but a band-aid nonetheless.

Not the way the ball hit his hand holding the beer.;)
What are you talking about? He's not holding the beer.
It's on the ledge next/too close to the screen/netting.
Hard to believe a hard-core sports guy like yourself would think there's no netting there because you can't see it in some shi**y twitter video.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019

Nope, been a jays fan since the late 80’s, didn’t care about Toronto back then, don’t really now. Like the team and will always cheer for them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad