Blue Jays Discussion: Blue Jays baseball: now with 100% more wins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Curious about Carrerra over Smoak. The impression I have had all spring is they want to give Smoak regular at bats, with Pierce in LF.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Ya baseball for real, this is amazing. Must admit I am kind of surprised to see Pearce at first, makes one wonder are they showing Pagan, there is a spot here for the taking, but we won't just give it to you?

Curious about Carrerra over Smoak. The impression I have had all spring is they want to give Smoak regular at bats, with Pierce in LF.

Yeah was surprised to see Carrera in too

Any word on Travis's status?

IIRC, #zeke is 4 for 8 off of Gausman with a HR.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Ya baseball for real, this is amazing. Must admit I am kind of surprised to see Pearce at first, makes one wonder are they showing Pagan, there is a spot here for the taking, but we won't just give it to you?

If Pompey isn't going to be given a shot, the OF lacks depth. Pagan would be nice but it sounds like he needs to be guaranteed a full time gig

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Is it just me or does it seem like Jonah Keri really likes to hate on the Blue Jays? He was tolerable before but now I honestly want the Expos to come back so I won't have to see or hear from him as often as I do.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Is it just me or does it seem like Jonah Keri really likes to hate on the Blue Jays? He was tolerable before but now I honestly want the Expos to come back so I won't have to see or hear from him as often as I do.

His heelish turn is, IMO, attributed to the front office change (not dissimilar to some of the posters around these parts). Its no secret he's a big Expos guy, and he knows which front office people around baseball are still around from that executive tree.

That said, his major criticisms of the franchise this offseason are\were (i) The Edwin situation (ii) the current situation at 1B (iii) the current situation in LF...which are all low hanging fruit if you're seeking clicks\eyes.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

Some of his anti-Jays stuff is warranted but i agree he has become more of a pain for whatever reason.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

I didn't notice any of it until his analysis of this offseason, which just keeps getting weirder and weirder and based less and less on facts.

doorman

Nov 8, 2012
Thunder Bay
If Pompey isn't going to be given a shot, the OF lacks depth. Pagan would be nice but it sounds like he needs to be guaranteed a full time gig

Not sure what the plan is for Pompey, do they see him as an everyday player? There seems to be mixed opinions from what I have read, not that you can go by that.

As for Pagan, I know that's what he is asking form, but at some point one would think he may weigh the options of where he has the best chance to secure a one. If someone was willing to hand him a full time gig I would think it would've been during spring training.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
His heelish turn is, IMO, attributed to the front office change (not dissimilar to some of the posters around these parts). Its no secret he's a big Expos guy, and he knows which front office people around baseball are still around from that executive tree.

That said, his major criticisms of the franchise this offseason are\were (i) The Edwin situation (ii) the current situation at 1B (iii) the current situation in LF...which are all low hanging fruit if you're seeking clicks\eyes.

My issue, and I think I've posted about it a few times here, wasn't that he disliked the Edwin situation, but the way he went about it by basing his analysis primarily on rumours and making all kinds of assumptions. It was weird. And then he doubles down by adding on his displeasure with the LF/1B situation.

Basically it boils down to:

A) Should have been more patient and signed Edwin.
B) Should have improved LF.
C) Should have improved 1B.

So... we're just going to expect management to add the $9 million needed to go from Morales to Edwin and STILL expect them to put out a more well-rounded roster? If anything, making that move means they can't sign Pearce and the roster actually then has two MASSIVE holes instead of one hole and great player who's an injury risk.

Unless he's actually complaining about payroll, in which case that's not a management issue.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Not sure what the plan is for Pompey, do they see him as an everyday player? There seems to be mixed opinions from what I have read, not that you can go by that.

I listened to Brunt and Blair all morning. They also had some of the regular baseball reporters/commentators on the show and the general consensus is that Pompey is currently not in the plans and essentially will have to go out and force them to add him to the team by playing extremely well in Buffalo.

I understand the sentiment of him having to play his way on to the team, but it's curious that a guy with so many talents the team needs (speed, defense, decent hitter in the minors, plays a position they desperately need talent at, etc) would not be at least in the conversation.

doorman

Nov 8, 2012
Thunder Bay
I will readily admit I had mixed feelings about bringing Jose back before he signed, though a motivated Bautista could put up amazing numbers in my opinion. Now, based on Duquettes idiotic comments about him over and over this off season add in Chris Davis too, I would love to see him go deep his first at bat. Now that would be a how do you like me now moment, lol.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I listened to Brunt and Blair all morning. They also had some of the regular baseball reporters/commentators on the show and the general consensus is that Pompey is currently not in the plans and essentially will have to go out and force them to add him to the team by playing extremely well in Buffalo.

I understand the sentiment of him having to play his way on to the team, but it's curious that a guy with so many talents the team needs (speed, defense, decent hitter in the minors, plays a position they desperately need talent at, etc) would not be at least in the conversation.

I've heard some of that, too, and I find it hard to believe. Atkins saying all the right things about him obviously has to be taken with a huge grain of salt, but Pompey has had a lot of good things to say about the way management has treated him, as well (and specifically about feeling rushed and unprepared in 2014-15).

I don't know. With all his injuries the last year, along with his mediocre AAA numbers, it makes sense that they want to be patient and make sure they can get the most out him going forward.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada

I generally like Keri and enjoy his stuff. I'm curious what his criticism of the Jays is over the EE situation? The other two are obvious issues with the current roster. Only the most bright-eyed optimist would say differently.

When I look back on that situation, I'm not sure what else the Jays could have done. They made him the best offer he received and he said no.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I will readily admit I had mixed feelings about bringing Jose back before he signed, though a motivated Bautista could put up amazing numbers in my opinion. Now, based on Duquettes idiotic comments about him over and over this off season add in Chris Davis too, I would love to see him go deep his first at bat. Now that would be a how do you like me now moment, lol.

Was he not motivated before this season?

doorman

Nov 8, 2012
Thunder Bay
Was he not motivated before this season?

As was said by another poster I would think free agency was a humbling experience for him. Motivation seems to come on different levels, and the level of having to prove you still have it after seemingly being written off and playing for what could be your career essentially would seem like more to me, but I could be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad