Blue Jays Discussion: Blue Jays 3-5 in spring training. The ship is sinking. Cut Everybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Padres loading up for a playoff run. Not sure how they expect to when 99% of MLB fans can't name a single player in their infield, but hey, least it got the fans excited.

Shields at almost 19 mil a year is a hell of a lot of money (4/75, or is the option included in that chunk as well?) for a guy with that many miles on his arm.

Still feel confident in the rotation the Jays have. Strong veteran presence, inning eaters mixed in with big time potential. Plus the AL East doesn't look as menacing as it once did.

I'd almost be more concerned about that big money outfield. Kemp is made of glass, egg shells and duct tape. Myers looked awful last year. Not just sophomore slump bad, but legitimately scary concerning bad for a recent top prospect. Including the fact that his power entirely disappeared (though the wrist injury would've been a big contributing factor). And the solution for both of them to revive their value is to go to San Diego? Where HRs go to die?

I was reading about the Padres off-season and the big recurring theme for them was that before the Shields deal was announced, what they did amounted to a lot of minor upgrades that aren't nearly as significant as would be believed at first glance.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
I'm surprised the Cards haven't tried Trevor Rosenthal as a starter. IIRC, the bullpen stint wasn't supposed to be permanent.

Sometimes it doesn't play out the way you wrote it up 2 seasons ago. At this point I'd expect Carlos Martinez to be in the rotation before Rosenthal gets a sniff.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I'm surprised the Cards haven't tried Trevor Rosenthal as a starter. IIRC, the bullpen stint wasn't supposed to be permanent.

Sometimes it doesn't play out the way you wrote it up 2 seasons ago. At this point I'd expect Carlos Martinez to be in the rotation before Rosenthal gets a sniff.

With Wainwright, Wacha, Lynn, and Lackey occupying the top 4 spots, the 5th spot is basically CMart's unless Marco Gonzales plays stupidly good and CMart falters. If Garcia is ever healthy they would be in the pen with Rosenthal though. That's kinda the scary part with how good their rotation depth has been. They really don't even need to try and use Rosenthal as a starter.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
AA hinted at some stupidity in using Sanchez in a relief role this year. Yeah, he did well, but generally, I would advise against keeping him shackled for too long. Just follow how guys like Price and Wainwright were handeled. Once that happens, you could have a Daniel Bard or Neftali Feliz situation... awesome multi year reliever, sucks as starter, never the same since.

It wasnt just AA but Gibby threw many hints at the state of the union that suggested Sanchez would be in the pen.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013

With Wainwright, Wacha, Lynn, and Lackey occupying the top 4 spots, the 5th spot is basically CMart's unless Marco Gonzales plays stupidly good and CMart falters. If Garcia is ever healthy they would be in the pen with Rosenthal though. That's kinda the scary part with how good their rotation depth has been. They really don't even need to try and use Rosenthal as a starter.

With Rosenthal's potential, it seems like it's something you have to try. Wasn't he thought of as a potential ace? And the Cards have depth, but they're always mentioned as on the lookout for another top of the rotation piece. As a GM, I'd rather try to maximize the value of each asset, and if Rosenthal is a potential ace, I have to try it.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
With Rosenthal's potential, it seems like it's something you have to try. Wasn't he thought of as a potential ace? And the Cards have depth, but they're always mentioned as on the lookout for another top of the rotation piece. As a GM, I'd rather try to maximize the value of each asset, and if Rosenthal is a potential ace, I have to try it.

Yep Rosenthal looked good in AA/AAA in 2012

109 innings
2.97 ERA
1.10 WHIP
solid strikeout #'s
Did walk a decent amount tho

He was definitely better compared to Sanchez.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

It'll probably happen eventually, but I know they want him in the closer role at least for this upcoming season. It's pretty much the same outlook Texas had with Feliz. He's an elite arm in the bullpen, but he was a top pitching prospect with top of the rotation potential, why try and limit a player's value to your ball club?

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Hey Nem - just curious. You making avatars this year? No big deal if not just wondering. I hate my Dickey one now :laugh:

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Hey Nem - just curious. You making avatars this year? No big deal if not just wondering. I hate my Dickey one now :laugh:

Don't feel too bad. Mine was Lind. Figured I'd put up a hockey one for now.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I think I had Bonifacio 2 years ago :laugh:

I wanted Hutch last year but Nem didn't make them. If he does them this year I'll probably go for Norris if he makes the team, or Stro.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
Mine was Bautista... felt outdated so I switched it to Jonathan Diaz (I actually like Diaz, I cheer for him every ST and follow him while he's in AAA)

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I don't care anymore -- spring training is a couple weeks away and all the major/impactful free agents are off the board. Time to drink the Kool-Aid and convince myself of all the positives that will lead this team to 90+ wins and the division title. :laugh:

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I don't care anymore -- spring training is a couple weeks away and all the major/impactful free agents are off the board. Time to drink the Kool-Aid and convince myself of all the positives that will lead this team to 90+ wins and the division title. :laugh:

Does someone need a whambulance

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Does someone need a whambulance

Takes a special person to bring up those points without it being directly in response to another post. Maybe just assumed someone said something homer-ish and thought to cover the anti-koolaid bases.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Trying to be positive but I don't think we addressed the issues.

We really didnt but on the whole, we upgraded the teams overall talent level.

It will be interesting to see how a elite defensive cather with plus intangibles changes the look of this team.

The last few seasons we've been a sloppy baseball team but have thrown out 2 pretty bad to below average defensive C's (Martin is miles better then either of JPA/Dinner when it comes to actually catching).

I'm also somewhat skeptical but this teams talent level is undenieable. They need a few things to bounce right for them (Pompey working out in C, Stroman repeating last years performance, A few guys have strong years in the PEN) to make the postseason imo. I still think we're 1 strong addition from being a true contender.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Takes a special person to bring up those points without it being directly in response to another post. Maybe just assumed someone said something homer-ish and thought to cover the anti-koolaid bases.

I don't get what this means. :(

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

I hope to, yeah. I need to figure out a theme otherwise it'll just be 25-30 pics of Norris and his amazing beard :laugh:

Time is also a factor. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks I'll be able to carve out some time to really sit down and play around with ideas until something sticks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad