Blue Jackets have closed door meeting with Tortorella to ask him to be nicer to them

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I like how they have to call it 'closed door' meeting to make it sound more intense.

You know, because they have so many open door meeting that anyone can just prance in on from the streets.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
They let Girardi score a goal against them. That is ground for a 30 minute postgame bagskate.

Last edited:

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
They let Girardi score a goal against them. That is ground for a 30 minute postgame bagskate.

In response to your unedited post about the 16 game streak: Torts threatened to takeaway their desserts and video games. Then he gave in and now look at them.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
That's already been addressed by Foligno who said that TSN blew it out of proportion.

This. No one really knows what is happening or what happened there, but I'm glad HF is perfectly clear on everything about Tortorella.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
It only takes one or two of 22 players talking to a friend at Sportsnet for it to be "reported". I don't quite see why you think this is concerning.

you don't? It implies a couple things, besides the obvious need for the team to get the coach in sync with their point of view.

1) one or two players or whomever leaked it doesn't feel like it's a solvable problem or doesn't want it solved, because you can't rationally think exposing this rift to the public is going to help matters

2) the team isn't on the same page as far as how to deal with the problem. Closed door for some of them, public airing for the others.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Totally

Again sometimes that might be required, no doubt. But it has a lot more impact when it's a rarity.

Could you imagine if scotty bowman went Fn bonkers in the room? Of course, I'm going on the premise that he is chill as hell, because that's how he comes across. When a guy who is chill loses his ****, you listen.

When a guy who is always ranting and raving like a lunatic, you sorta just kinda .."Oh yay ...another rant. What's on Netflix."

Bowman was one of those guys, he was notorious from being a *****, he also commanded a ton of respect and knew when a player needed a push or not.

Dick Irvin was also a notorious hot head, and a legend.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Running to mommy would be complaining to the GM. Talking to Torts heads on and addressing the issue face to face is far from what some people in here are suggesting. Props to the players for standing up to the dude. He's a notorious bully and a hot head.

Agreed. To me, this is the adult way to handle it. They aren't running to anyone.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
abrasive coaches just don't mesh with these new generations of athletes

they've been phased out in all 4 major pro sports. torts is one of a few still left and here's another example of that style being a thing of the past

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
CBJ's would never ask that because by now they know this will never change Torts is who he is and thats what makes him a good coach. I think his players have more pride then to ask something childish like that

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I think the report is probably just spun out far away from the truth. Foligno has already said as much.

My guess is that this came up in a venue where Torts expects two way flow of info back and forth with the players. Contrary to myth he's actually a very reflective and self-critical person who invites feedback.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
I doubt the meeting was single topic. A lot of stuff can come out when there is a great deal of pressure on. Maybe something was said to general agreement? That's not a revolt.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
And if he doesn't give a **** ..then what?

Torts is who he is, *****ing and whining that he is too mean isn't going to change the man. He is who he is. As long as he is winning he will be tolerated. Period.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad