"Blue-chip" Prospects

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
McCann and Demko could be argued.

I'm a huge fan of both players and was hoping the Leafs would acquire another pick to get McCann/was hoping for him when the Leafs were looking to be in the playoffs... But no, they can't...

Saying McCann and Demko are bluechip prospects is like saying that there was ~30 bluechip prospects in last years draft as thats where Demko went and he hasn't skyrocketed up the rankings in one years time...

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
Hey I said their is only 2 blue chippers out there, how much lower can I go :P

People mentioning De Angelo, Schebak, McCann, Theodore, Ho Sang etc. So lol. There's a difference between a blue-Chiles (future top 30-40 in the league), and good prospects that my get a top6 or top4 role. Neither of these are elite prospects.

It seems like blue-chip means: "play an NHL-game sometime in the future".

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Blue chippers: McDavid, Eichel, Hanifin, Marner, Reinhart, Bennett, Nurse

Very good prospects: Nylander, Strome, Provorov, Draisaitl, Domi, Mantha, Vasilevskiy, Dal Colle, Fiala, Ritchie, Duclair, Theodore, Tuch, Honka, Fabbri, Bowey, Perlini, Scherbak, Pouliot, Barbashev, Sanheim, Kempe, Buchnevich, Pulkkinen, Hellebuyck, Gibson, Murray, Erne, Bjorkstrand, Reilly, Vesey, Panarin

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre

Very good prospects: Nylander, Strome, Provorov, Draisaitl, Domi, Mantha, Vasilevskiy, Dal Colle, Fiala, Ritchie, Duclair, Theodore, Tuch, Honka, Fabbri, Bowey, Perlini, Scherbak, Pouliot, Barbashev, Sanheim, Kempe, Buchnevich, Pulkkinen, Hellebuyck, Gibson, Murray, Erne, Bjorkstrand, Reilly, Vesey, Panarin

The problem with your approach is that your putting high-level prospects like Draisiaitl/Nylander/Strome etc in the same pool as prospects like Erne, Kempe, Buchnevich etc.

Bo Ho*

I'm a huge fan of both players and was hoping the Leafs would acquire another pick to get McCann/was hoping for him when the Leafs were looking to be in the playoffs... But no, they can't...

Saying McCann and Demko are bluechip prospects is like saying that there was ~30 bluechip prospects in last years draft as thats where Demko went and he hasn't skyrocketed up the rankings in one years time...

I should have clarified more in my original post, but I meant more going toward and if they develop properly. Demko could be the next Gibsons based on all his play this far. He's the best goalie prospect we've had since Schneider. And your logic is faulty, would you have said the same thing with Subban and Weber since they were second round picks?

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

How do you figure Reinhart and Bennett are bluechippers, and not

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
For the Rangers... :rangers I wouldn't say they have any bluechippers but, they do have a couple guys who I think will make impacts in the next 2-3 years, and that would be Pavel Buchnevich(I believe he is ranked a top 50 prospect in the league by the hf boards) and Brady Skjei, these two guys are going to make an impact for our team, so yeah, wouldn't consider them elite potential though, Buchnevich 2nd liner at best probably.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
How do you figure Reinhart and Bennett are bluechippers, and not

Agreed. If you include Bennett you have to include Draisaitl.
Personally I see Reinhart as the cream of the forwards corp for that year but the other two guys are definitely blue chippers.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Anaheim:
John Gibson

Arizona:
Anthony Duclair
Max Domi

Boston:
David Pastrnak

Buffalo:
Jack Eichel
Sam Reinhart

Calgary:
Sam Bennett

Edmonton:
Leon Draisaitl
Darnell Nurse

Nashville:
Kevin Fiala

New York Islanders:
Michael Dal Colle
Griffin Reinhart

Tampa Bay:
Andrei Vasilevski

Toronto:
William Nylander

Winnipeg Jets:
Nikolai Ehlers
Josh Morrissey

Larkin is a glaring omission from this list

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015

I agree with most of yours, I'd put Draisaitl and Nylander as blue chippers though.

Most of the "very good" prospects have the potential to be good players, but I could see only a couple of them actually staying in the NHL, let alone having an impact.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Draisaitl and Nurse for now. Come June there will be another name on here.

I wouldnt call McDavid a prospect of any kind. The guy is going to be a star, no point of even calling him a prospect. NHL speed, skating, hands, vision etc.

Oilers are lucky.:cry:

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
I wouldnt call McDavid a prospect of any kind. The guy is going to be a star, no point of even calling him a prospect. NHL speed, skating, hands, vision etc.

Oilers are lucky.:cry:
He is a prospect. He's not so special that he is even above prospect level, and I love McDavid. This is how he becomes hated on, posts like this.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
this looks like a thread of people naming their teams top prospects... majority of the guys mentioned in this are good prospects but by no means are they blue chippers.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
On Ottawa? No one

Closest is Lazar and Wikstrand and thats only if you really like Wikstrand. Wouldnt call Lazar blue chip myself

Ceci, Stone and Zibanjad would be blue chip if they weren't in the NHL. Stone was underrated by non sens fans though. I think most sens fans had him above Lazar in the prospect rankings

Lol. Lazar was a blue chip prospect... Now he is an NHLer.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Yeah I am guessing everybody has a different definition but to me blue chip is a player who is like 99% guaranteed to be an elite level star in the NHL and in that regard I can only think of 2 players who fit that description(both available in this year's draft)

I think blue chip means guaranteed to be an NHL regular.

It means said player is virtually a guarantee to be an NHL regular.

If you want to pretend blue chip means only McDavid and Eichel.... Then you need to use a different term then one already used in multiple sports for decades to mean something else.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00