"Blue-chip" Prospects

Mayo8898

May 18, 2014
Among your respective teams prospect pool, who is considered a 'blue-chipper'? I just want to know what the latter really is, and how many each team has and who they are. For example, I'm guessing Nik Ehlers is considered quite the blue-chip prospect.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
On Ottawa? No one

Closest is Lazar and Wikstrand and thats only if you really like Wikstrand. Wouldnt call Lazar blue chip myself

Ceci, Stone and Zibanjad would be blue chip if they weren't in the NHL. Stone was underrated by non sens fans though. I think most sens fans had him above Lazar in the prospect rankings

Phrazer

Apr 2, 2008
Cairns
When I us the term blue chip prospect I am referring to a "top 10 talent". Not in a literal went in the top 10 of a draft class, or a top 10 prospect of their class, but in the sense that they possess that elite level potential that is a cut above their peers.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
When I us the term blue chip prospect I am referring to a "top 10 talent". Not in a literal went in the top 10 of a draft class, or a top 10 prospect of their class, but in the sense that they possess that elite level potential that is a cut above their peers.

Yeah I am guessing everybody has a different definition but to me blue chip is a player who is like 99% guaranteed to be an elite level star in the NHL and in that regard I can only think of 2 players who fit that description(both available in this year's draft)

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Yeah I am guessing everybody has a different definition but to me blue chip is a player who is like 99% guaranteed to be an elite level star in the NHL and in that regard I can only think of 2 players who fit that description(both available in this year's draft)

That's definitely not what a blue chipper is.

Nylander only from the Leafs.

hockeey

Oct 28, 2014
CA
I don't think the sharks have any real blue chip prospects. Hopefully this draft will change that. I think Goldobin has the highest potential of any of our prospects but he's very boom/bust

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

Limiting it to McDavid and Eichel is way too high a standard in my book.

Phrazer

Apr 2, 2008
Cairns
Reinhart x 2
Bennett
Theodore
Mantha
Ritchie
Virtanen
DeAngelo
Ehlers
Pulkinnen
Bowey
Morrisey
Honka
Dal Colle
Domi
Fiala
Nylander
Vasilevski
Gibson
Larkin
Nurse
Draisaitl
Pouliot

Something like that.

jiboy

la game dans la game
May 2, 2007
Scherbak is a borderline blue chip prospect, he's showed a lot of nice things and I'm very curious to see what he does next

let's just say I would be really pissed if we traded him

McCarron im curious also but i dont feel he's got the skill to be considered a blue chip prospect

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
Some might be surprised by this, but for me (if I were a GM) a blue-chip" prospect is a guy I am 100% sure will have a lengthy NHL career in one role or another (read at least a few hundred games). A team is far more than just it's stars and while it's much easier to buy yourself the supporting cast instead of the stars, the good teams still develop both themself because it's the cheapest.

So no matter wether the guy will be a 1st line star or a 3rd liner, if I am sure he will be in the NHL and help my team win game in game out, he is a blue chipper for me.

For my Lightning that would be the following guys:
-Andrei Vasilevskiy
-Adam Erne (he could develop into anything from top line power forward to 3rd line checking guy, be he will make it)
-Slater Koekkoek
-Nikita Nesterov (granted he is more or less a fulltimer now, but he is here to stay for a long time)

Guys like DeAngelo or Brayden Point might have more upside, but there is still far to much bust potential IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad