Blue Bombers 2022 Season Thread - Stunning Loss. Dynasty Interrupted. 2023 awaits.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
f*** it. Took forever for the park and ride to get to my vehicle. I have some points to share but I’m gonna wait until I have my laptop at the hotel. Succinctly put, we didn’t play like we wanted to win. Liegghio was bad and I’ll get to my comments on him when I do my in-depth notes, but it’s not only his fault.

I will agree it is not all on Leggioshit, but far too many games in football are decided by kickers for it not to be important that we currently have a really bad one. This has to be addressed this off season.
Liegghio missed a few converts during the season opener against Ottawa and fans were already booing him in Winnipeg. Gonna be tough for the team to bring him back now that there isn’t a Grey Cup victory to smooth things over.

None

Feb 22, 2012
30 yard punts, missed conversions, and Prukop throwing when he didn't need to? Bombers did not deserve the win.

The distance was fine, he was hitting 40+ with good control, the problem was that they were low and letting the returner run under them with speed.

Reactions: kanadalainen

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Great season overall - this is still a really solid team.

A very tough loss - the Bombers didn't quite have enough in the tank to play a mistake-free 4th quarter. Actually I must admit - we played a poor 4th. And even then, that the lousy quarter we had we still came very close.

1 point. A handfull of plays I wish that we could have back. I don't care who you are, its very tough to win the championship game. There is room for improvement, and I suppose changes will be made.

Next year lads, next year.

Last edited:

None

Feb 22, 2012
Before I walk away for the night I just want to comment on how stupid it was to have your backup QB throw an extremely risky long bomb, when a veteran 2 time championship team could/should have played the odds to grind out a win.

1st and 10, up by 9 and with huge momentum. Just a bizarre decision by Prukop to make that throw and for coaches to even have him out there.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
1st and 10, up by 9 and with huge momentum. Just a bizarre decision by Prukop to make that throw and for coaches to even have him out there.
I’ve been struggling to understand why but you can’t change history you can only complain about it. And hopefully learn from it.

Reactions: None

GrassyKnoll

Feb 3, 2015
Perspective, folks. Yeah, I know it sucks to lose to a team that comes from a city that clearly does not give a sh:t about them, while we here bleed Blue & Gold. Let's face it, as much as it stings to admit, Argos got it together today & the Blue didn't. Zach clearly wasn't 100%, the O-Line faltered at crucial times, decisions like putting Prukop in to throw a pick doesn't help & Liegghio has been inconsistent all season (tonight, plus Western Final, Montreal OT loss, etc). It's probably not fair that all the blame should all be on Liegghio (and it shouldn't), but it'll be really shocking to see him playing here next year. But the old cliche holds: win as a team, lose as a team.

Anyway, it's too bad all those American-wannabee-CFL-is-too-bush-league-for-us-world-class-city-type-Torontonians don't recognize the quality football product in their own back yard. Guess their noses are too high in the air with regards to being enamored with their Maple Laffs, Blow Jays & Raptors to notice or even care. Sad.

The Blue Bombers will be back in 2023, hungrier than ever. Bank on it.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Team made too many mistakes today and even then almost pulled it out at the end.

Collaros was under throwing all game and is lucky he only got picked once.

Our kicker just doesn't have a leg and the Argos got good field position most of the game as a result. But as far as blaming him for the loss that is silly. In the end their kicker missed more then ours and was also blocked in the last three minutes. Give credit to TO's defense for making a game saving play.

Our offense just couldn't drive the ball well enough to put us in enough opportunities to get points. We pretty much cashed on all our big drives. We just didn't have enough of them.

Team won all their close one possesion games earlier in the year and imo used up all their luck doing it and things broke the other way today.

Still one of the more evenly played Grey Cups I can remember.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
The distance was fine, he was hitting 40+ with good control, the problem was that they were low and letting the returner run under them with speed.
Hang time is important. Hell I could probably hit a low-height 40 yard punt and I'm not a pro. His punts were terrible today and even when both offenses stalled we were losing the field position battle.

It's a team loss but I can't help but think with an average kicker we win that game.

Reactions: Fairview

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Why are we making excuses for a POS kicker, that has been carried by the team.

How many converts has he missed? That's a disgusting performance.
So get mad at the person who signed him. What do you want him to do when somebody offers him a contract to live his dream, say "nah sorry I'm not good enough"?

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
So get mad at the person who signed him. What do you want him to do when somebody offers him a contract to live his dream, say "nah sorry I'm not good enough"?

Yup and given we played a team with a statistically worse kicker who performed statisticaly worse today blaming the kicker is really missing the forest from the trees. Our offense as a whole just didn't get it done.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Here are my thoughts, if you care to read:

- The biggest problem IMO in this game was the offence. Defence was mostly fine and Legghio was his usual shaky self. Toronto game-planned perfectly. They saw the game where Montreal beat us by consistently dialling up pressure and they figured they'd try it, and it worked. We had no adjustments, no answers. The o-line was not good and the Argos were consistently blowing up plays by attacking the weak links in the offensive line.

- Too many players had their worst game of the season tonight. Offensive line hasn't been beaten this badly for a while. Collaros wasn't good. He's my favourite player and I can admit he was actively hurting us early and didn't do anything to bail us out later. He was dealing with pressure way too much and wasn't able to scramble away and make magic like usual. Might've been the injury. Aside from that, he was also not making great reads for most of the game. Demski/Ellingson/Schoen also were all quiet. Only really Oliveira had a good game on offence.

- Toronto played well for the most part, but this is definitely more of a game the Bombers lost than a game Toronto won. It's frustrating, we made so many backbreaking mistakes and were still being bailed out by Toronto's lack of discipline but we just couldn't make the plays we needed. None of our playmakers (other than Grant) made plays. All this shit and we STILL were in the game to the very end.

- Like I said, defence was mostly decent and mostly shut down the run. McLeod Bethel-Thompson was hilariously bad against pressure, but for some reason, after halftime we didn't get any pressure. Toronto must've adjusted and we did not. That last drive where they had the backup QB for a sack and let him get out and run 20+ yards on 2nd and 15 is inexcusable and a huge part of why we lost this game.

- As others have said, the play call where Prukop threw deep in Toronto territory was just stupid. We were controlling the game, we decided to get too cute at the wrong time. Oliveira was ripping them up and then we do that nonsense? I know it ended up being basically like a punt, but it was a big momentum thing and a stupid turnover when we should've been running the ball down their throat and killing the clock. That's another big reason why we lost.

- The talk of the town: Legghio. Firstly, I think a lot of the vitriol in this thread is a bit much. Yes, he played a big part in us losing the game. Yes, he's been up-and-down for two seasons now. Yes, kicking has been a weakness for a while. All that is true but still, he's a human and he's just a f***ing kid. The team lost this game, not him. That said, I don't think he'll be back next year. He was already on a short leash and now that the team has lost a Grey Cup (whether or not you weigh his performance heavily against the result), I think there will be a lot less appetite to bring him back next year. Did anyone think he was going to make that kick at the end of the game? Even if the hold was fine? Not me. He seems to have a mental block that causes him to crumble in big moments, and like, I get it, if I could kick worth a damn I wouldn't be able to handle the pressure either, but now that the team didn't win I'm not so sure they'll be able to be patient with him again. His punting is average, and his kickoffs hurt us. Most of the kickers in this league routinely kick back to 10 yard line or so. Liegghio kicks to around the 25-30 and the kicker runs a few yards and they already have it at their 40. Just constantly losing the field position battle. Idk man, I want to like him, but I don't think he's back.

- We'll be back. This loss will hopefully make the team hungrier again, as Toronto just wanted it more tonight. There will be some turnover and hopefully we come back with an improved roster. Bighill, Bryant, Collaros, Jefferson, Alexander ... all aren't getting any younger, so they'll probably try running it back at least one more time. Hopefully we can complement them with some good players and have another good year. It's just disappointing. The stars will probably never align where we have a chance for a threepeat again, never mind a threepeat in IG Field West in front of a lot of Bombers fans. Oh well.

- I'm expecting the Argos to mail me my Grey Cup ring. They only won because I decided to buy tickets and because the universe hates me. You're welcome :)

- I apologize to the Bombers for making fun of their park and ride system. That system, shitty as it is, at least has some semblance of a line to get on the busses and the busses move along faster. Regina was just an absolute shitshow. Just a mass of people swarming the busses, but the busses fill quickly and don't come often. We spent 45 minutes outside waiting for a bus. In Winnipeg, it takes forever to get off Pembina and onto Bishop, but it still is a faster process than Regina because the busses load easier. Although, some of the Riders fans I was talking to told me that during Riders games the system usually runs pretty smoothly and orderly which makes me wonder if the CFL was actually responsible for this.

- The trip was still worth it just for Fuddruckers and Carl's Jr. Mmmmmm. We need to get those in Winnipeg. Also, I got a couple of cool Grey Cup souvenirs and was able to avoid having to listen to Glen Suitor. I count that as a win in and of itself.

- We ended up getting that higher draft pick that I was talking about earlier. Let's put it to good use. Maybe there's kicker we can take there :sarcasm:

Last edited:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Props to Toronto.

They had a really good playoffs and had that typical CFL team of destiny look emerging from the east. I thought they played hungry and desperate and their D was stout. Bombers were two time champions for a reason and it could have gone either way but yesterday Toronto didn’t get lucky. They were in that game from the 1st snap.

Congrats to the Bombers for one of the best runs I have seen a team go on over three seasons. Sucks to come up short but they have been a total pleasure to watch.

Last edited:

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Tough loss, but we did not look like a championship team last night.

As others have said,the defence was strong, but the offence struggled, and no single player rose to the occasion the way Muamba did for TO. Collaros did not have an MOP game, but the protection in front of him was poor and the ankle was an x-factor. He gets a pass.

Of course it's never a single player's fault...but is there anyone out there who didn't cringe after that missed convert, knowing it would come back to haunt us in a close game?

It's a great organization and great organizations know when they have made mistakes and when they need to change. It was a mistake keeping Legghio all year and changes are coming in other areas as well, no doubt.

They'll be back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad