Bleacher Report Mock Draft

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
1. Buffalo Sabres: D Rasmus Dahlin, Frolunda (SHL)

2. Arizona Coyotes: LW Filip Zadina, Halifax (QMJHL)

3. Vancouver Canucks: LW Brady Tkachuk, Boston University

4. Detroit Red Wings: C Oliver Wahlstrom, US Under 18

5. Ottawa Senators: RW Andrei Svechnikov, Barrie (OHL)

6. Montreal Canadiens: D Evan Bouchard, London (OHL)

7. Edmonton Oilers: D Noah Dobson, A-Bathurst (QMJHL)

8. Chicago Blackhawks: C Barrett Hayton, Sault Ste. Marie (OHL)

9. New York Islanders: D Bode Wilde, US Under 18

10. New York Rangers: C Joe Veleno, Drummondville (QMJHL)

11. Carolina Hurricanes: D Ty Smith, Spokane (WHL)

12. Florida Panthers: D Adam Boqvist, Brynas (SHL)

13. New York Islanders (Traded from Calgary Flames): D Ryan Merkley, Guelph (OHL)

14. New Jersey Devils: RW Serron Noel, Oshawa, (OHL)

15. Philadelphia Flyers (Traded from St. Louis Blues): D Quinton Hughes, US Under 18

*They cover the whole first round, I just put up to #15 to save some space. Full mock draft here NHL Draft 2018: 1st-Round Mock Predictions and Latest Order

Svechnikov at #3 is bold itself but #5 is astonishing in my mind.

Boqvist at #12 is interesting and Hughes right to Philly at #15 has me nothing but interested.(and I'm not even high on Hughes myself like some are)

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Yeah and the Flyers will probably not draft two defenseman in the 1st round.

Sandin is possible, since the Flyers get to view him a lot since he plays with Frost.

Reactions: Tripod

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
Dominik Bonn gonna tear it up for the Blues. Can never take any article seriously if they don't check for typos. Laziness does not instill confidence in their knowledge.

Reactions: Mrb1p

MarAlain MongYeo

GostisBeHere Now
Oct 22, 2016
I'll never forget when Bleacher Report had Philly taking Jake DeBrusk with their second first rounder in 2015 because they needed more defensive prospects.

Edit: Dug through my screenshots and it was actually Toronto that they had taking DeBrusk as their pick to replace Phaneuf. At least they got the Phaneuf part right

Last edited:
Reactions: Tripod

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
Im just trying to imagine the canucks taking brady instead of andrei svechnikov it would be like taking oli juolevi or matthew tkachuck

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
again, the lunacy of the Hawks taking Hayton at #8 is mind numbing. Hayton is a solid player, who I am a BIG fan of, but Jesus Christ he is more in line with our 2nd pick at the end of the first round than top 10. Plus we DO NOT NEED a center right now - I get going BPA, but there isn't going to be a center taken in the top 8 for a reason - we need defense and we need it now. If Hughes/Ty Smith is on the board at #8 we are taking him, then at 31 go for the homerun swing with either K'adre Miller, Jake Wise, etc

Reactions: Cane mutiny

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
This is the worst list I’ve seen, like someone else said, they’re trying to be edgy.
Also, why the hell would the Rangers take Veleno at 10 when Boqvist, Hughes, and Smith are available? We’re stacked on C
Just saw Lundestrom as a Rangers pick as well who’s pretty much a worse Lias Andersson..
we’d have Chytil, Andersson, Veleno, Lundestrom, and Howden as C depth with all of them being mainly C’s...with two young really good C’s in Hayes and Zibanejad.

Also, Isles picking Bode Wilde and Ryan Merkley over Hughes+Boqvist? Even Snow couldn’t f that up
Canes picking Ty Smith over a forward, when they have Slavin, Hanifin, Fleury, and Bean on their left side
Flyers picking Sandin when they’re stacked at LHD
Svech at 5..
Devils taking a forward
Aren’t Blues already stacked at right wing for the future? Tank, Kyrou, Thompson, Kostin
I get the concept of taking BPA over team needs but most of these aren’t BPA OR team needs. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion/list but this is pretty brutal.

Last edited:

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Dear god, I know it's Bleacher Report, but they couldn't spend the time to learn the players names?

Or maybe I need to really look into Jeff McBain and Dominik Bonn, because they might be the most underrated prospects to make the first round.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
This is the worst list I’ve seen, like someone else said, they’re trying to be edgy.
Also, why the hell would the Rangers take Veleno at 10 when Boqvist, Hughes, and Smith are available? We’re stacked on C
Just saw Lundestrom as a Rangers pick as well who’s pretty much a worse Lias Andersson..
we’d have Chytil, Andersson, Veleno, Lundestrom, and Howden as C depth with all of them being mainly C’s...with two young really good C’s in Hayes and Zibanejad.

Also, Isles picking Bode Wilde and Ryan Merkley over Hughes+Boqvist? Even Snow couldn’t f that up
Canes picking Ty Smith over a forward, when they have Slavin, Hanifin, Fleury, and Bean on their left side
Flyers picking Sandin when they’re stacked at LHD
Svech at 5..
Devils taking a forward
Aren’t Blues already stacked at right wing for the future? Tank, Kyrou, Thompson, Kostin
I get the concept of taking BPA over team needs but most of these aren’t BPA OR team needs. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion/list but this is pretty brutal.
I usually do not rip on free lists, but this honestly has to be the most horrible, least researched mock I have ever seen...just so many picks make no sense...players just ranked all over the place for no apparent reason

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad