Blake Wheeler the forgotten prospect

end

Mar 18, 2007
Arklay Mansion
Blake Wheeler, wasn't he the guy who was ranked to be pick in the mid 2nd round that Gretzky decided he had to snatch at 5th overall before anyone else? Couldn't he have traded down a dozen picks and still got him? I submit that he could.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Blake Wheeler, wasn't he the guy who was ranked to be pick in the mid 2nd round that Gretzky decided he had to snatch at 5th overall before anyone else? Couldn't he have traded down a dozen picks and still got him? I submit that he could.

Rumor was that the Islanders wanted him very badly.

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
And Okposo is? :rolleyes:

Blake will surprise a lot of people. He is coming along nicely. Coyote fans are pleased.

I don't even understand your point here. I'm not sure what Okposo even has to do with this thread. But, if we want to compare the prospects, Okposo had 40 points in 40 games last year as an 18-YO freshmen. Wheeler, as a 19 YO freshmen, had 23 points in about as many games. As a sophmore, Wheeler still failed to put up more points than Okposo. And, it is not as if he is superior in other aspects of the game either.

I don't buy into all the silly shots at Wheeler in this thread and think he is yet another fine young player in the PHX organization . But, based on his production so far in the NCAA, it is perfectly reasonable to rank Okposo above him.

So, yeah, Okposo could probably be considered an "elite" prospect while Wheeler is a bit more of a projection.

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
Rumor was that the Islanders wanted him very badly.

Not sure where you heard this "rumor" but it is not correct. The prospect the Isles wanted was Ladislav Smid.

As far as I know, the Isles ranked him in the second round along with the rest of the NHL and he wasn't even on their radar.

That doesn't mean PHX made a mistake, mind you, but it is not true that the Islanders wanted Wheeler.

rt

May 13, 2004
Fair enough. McGuire is a reliable source.

Its pretty clear that the guy they wanted was Smid though. That was an open secret on the day of the draft. I think the Isles would have traded up if they could.

If I recall correctly the Coyotes claimed that they had Wheeler ranked behind only Ovechkin and Malkin. Further it was claimed, I believe once agian by the Coyotes, that they were scared to trade down because they knew of several interested teams that might trade up. Take that for what it's worth, I've drank most of my brain away, and that draft was a long time ago.

Seabass

Onward and Upward
Sep 25, 2002
Chicago
Visit site
Not sure where you heard this "rumor" but it is not correct. The prospect the Isles wanted was Ladislav Smid.

As far as I know, the Isles ranked him in the second round along with the rest of the NHL and he wasn't even on their radar.

That doesn't mean PHX made a mistake, mind you, but it is not true that the Islanders wanted Wheeler.
I recall the weekend of the draft hearing Milbury say that he was going to go completely off the board and take someone who: a) was not a goalie and b) was not European.

I even remember the TSN guys joking that based from that, they'd take Schwarz. I'll look some things up, but I'm pretty sure rt's right on this one.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
I remember hearing Minnesota was interested, too, and maybe one or two other teams. At any rate, the Coyotes could have traded down. They tried to. But what they would have gotten did not outweigh (at least not in their minds) risking Wheeler. At the end of the day, getting the guy you want is far more important than an extra pair of 4th rounders.

Overall, the Coyotes look like they absolutely killed the 2004 draft. Wheeler is going to be a pro. Logan Stephenson will be a pro, eventually. Enver Lisin has the talent, but there are obviously other issues there. Kevin Porter will be a pro and, had he not been named captain of the Wolverines and a likely Hobey Baker candidate, would have had a shot at it this year, too. Kevin Cormier could beat the **** out of nearly anyone in the NHL right now, and if any other parts of his game catch up, he'll have a spot on a 4th line. Chad Kolarik has potential, too.

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
I recall the weekend of the draft hearing Milbury say that he was going to go completely off the board and take someone who: a) was not a goalie and b) was not European.

I even remember the TSN guys joking that based from that, they'd take Schwarz. I'll look some things up, but I'm pretty sure rt's right on this one.

You do know that the Isles drafted a European on the first round, right?

And, even if you did "hear" Milbury say that, that still doesn't mean RT is correct.

I am 100% certain the Smid was the guy the Isles wanted. They were actively trying to move up to get him. Wheeler was not on their radar.

rt

May 13, 2004

And, I'm not sure where you "heard" Milbury say anything of that nature. But, given the influence of Anders Kallur on the draft, I'd say that you are almost certainly incorrect.

Maybe they took the Euro because the guy they had in mind was gone. Maybe that guy was Wheeler.

When they said it wouldn't be a Euro or a goalie, they were talking about a specific kid, not ruling out all goalies and Euros. They took the Fin, because the non-Euro they wanted was gone. At least that's what I believe Seabass meant.

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
Maybe they took the Euro because the guy they had in mind was gone. Maybe that guy was Wheeler.

When they said it wouldn't be a Euro or a goalie, they were talking about a specific kid, not ruling out all goalies and Euros. They took the Fin, because the non-Euro they wanted was gone. At least that's what I believe Seabass meant.

I did a llittle checking myself. It was Alan Hahn at Newsday who reported that the Isles were going to go off the board and there was nothing about not being from Europe. And, Newsday had also reported that the Isles were working hard to get into the top 10 to draft Smid.

BTW, Milbury also said that the expected the guy they wanted to be in the NHL the following season. Wheeler couldn't have been their man because he was a high school draftee headed to the NCAA.

I still don't think the Isles had any interest in Wheeler whatsoever.

Seabass

Onward and Upward
Sep 25, 2002
Chicago
Visit site

I found this thread: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=86735

It has a few clues, the bit on Smid you'd mentioned, Milbury not making sense, etc. I have it on tape, I might have to look at it later.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba

Not really. If one org went completely "off the board" to pick Wheeler, who's to say another wouldn't have done the same?

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
I found this thread: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=86735

It has a few clues, the bit on Smid you'd mentioned, Milbury not making sense, etc. I have it on tape, I might have to look at it later.

No, Seabass. You are correct. I did look it up and Milbury had said he would not draft a European or goalie. However, here is what Newsday reported the day after the draft:

Finnish forward on board

Milbury wouldn't say who was the sleeper on their draft board, but it was believed to be Czech defenseman Ladislav Smid, who was taken ninth by the Anaheim Mighty Ducks. Milbury made an attempt to move into the top 10 via trade, but there was "nothing doing."

Nokelainen follows Bergenheim and Swede Robert Nilsson, who was last year's first- round choice. Milbury and his staff discussed that trend -- European players are harder for organizations to develop because they usually remain in Europe until they are ready to play at the NHL level -- but stuck with their focus on adding character players.

Milbury was still working the draft floor in an attempt to make a few deals, but the rest of the day went quietly. His second-round choice was right wing Blake Comeau from Kelowna of the Western Hockey League; he is also cut from the character mold. In the third round, they went for skill in crafty Russian center Sergei Ogordnikov.

Here is Newsday prior to the draft:

What's Mike thinking?
With the 16th pick, Milbury is unlikely to take a goalie or a European, but he's got a sleeper in mind

"We have a guy in this draft we think is going to be a quality player sooner rather than later," Milbury told reporters in a conference call Tuesday afternoon. "And it's not someone you would see at the top of anyone's list."

"We're hoping he arrives after 15," Milbury said of his anonymous target. "I doubt it, but we're hoping."

I don't think that we can be sure what happened here, but I'm not at all convinced Wheeler was their man.

rt

May 13, 2004

Who cares? I hated the pick at the time(I wanted Olesz or Schremp), but with the way that draft class is shaping up, I'm really okay with the Wheeler pick, at this point. Seriously, have a look at the first round ... http://www.forecaster.ca/demos/hockey/draft.cgi?2004 ... Wheeler looks like a decent gamble, so far, for sure.

Seabass

Onward and Upward
Sep 25, 2002
Chicago
Visit site
No, Seabass. You are correct. I did look it up and Milbury had said he would not draft a European or goalie. However, here is what Newsday reported the day after the draft:

Finnish forward on board

Milbury wouldn't say who was the sleeper on their draft board, but it was believed to be Czech defenseman Ladislav Smid, who was taken ninth by the Anaheim Mighty Ducks. Milbury made an attempt to move into the top 10 via trade, but there was "nothing doing."

Nokelainen follows Bergenheim and Swede Robert Nilsson, who was last year's first- round choice. Milbury and his staff discussed that trend -- European players are harder for organizations to develop because they usually remain in Europe until they are ready to play at the NHL level -- but stuck with their focus on adding character players.

Milbury was still working the draft floor in an attempt to make a few deals, but the rest of the day went quietly. His second-round choice was right wing Blake Comeau from Kelowna of the Western Hockey League; he is also cut from the character mold. In the third round, they went for skill in crafty Russian center Sergei Ogordnikov.

Here is Newsday prior to the draft:

What's Mike thinking?
With the 16th pick, Milbury is unlikely to take a goalie or a European, but he's got a sleeper in mind

"We have a guy in this draft we think is going to be a quality player sooner rather than later," Milbury told reporters in a conference call Tuesday afternoon. "And it's not someone you would see at the top of anyone's list."

"We're hoping he arrives after 15," Milbury said of his anonymous target. "I doubt it, but we're hoping."

I don't think that we can be sure what happened here, but I'm not at all convinced Wheeler was their man.
After reading through that, I might have to agree that Wheeler might not have been their man. I didn't read the article at the time, but I remember the crew being a little more steadfast to idea that Milbury was not going to take a European or a goalie, rather than unlikely to.

I guess some things just get lost in translation.

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
After reading through that, I might have to agree that Wheeler might not have been their man. I didn't read the article at the time, but I remember the crew being a little more steadfast to idea that Milbury was not going to take a European or a goalie, rather than unlikely to.

I guess some things just get lost in translation.

Seabass, for what is is worth, you still might be correct. Hahn (the Isles beat reporter at the time) reported that the Isles wanted Peter Mueller but that Columbus planned to take him first. In other words, he wasn't always the most reliable source.

Seabass

Onward and Upward
Sep 25, 2002
Chicago
Visit site
Seabass, for what is is worth, you still might be correct. Hahn (the Isles beat reporter at the time) reported that the Isles wanted Peter Mueller but that Columbus planned to take him first. In other words, he wasn't always the most reliable source.
Well, just for ***** and giggles, I threw in my '04 Draft tape to see what I could get. This is the TSN banter immediately after the Preds took Radulov at #15.

Gord: Now comes the #16 pick, the New York Islanders. Very rare for a team to tip its hand before the draft, but Islander GM Mike Milbury, who never lacks for interesting comments, said: "We are going to shock the floor with our pick. We are going right off the board with our selection."
Bob: And the one thing he said we're not going to do is "we're not going to take a goaltender and we're not going to take a European."
Gord: Marek Schwarz? [laughs]
Bob: So you can [laughs] say they're going to take Marek Schwarz here, but Mike Milbury, a lot of people think he's interested in a player like a Kyle Chipchura, who is a real solid character player. That wouldn't be necessarily going off the board, but he also said while he thought it was a bit of a darkhorse, who he had, he wondered if he might not be gone by the time he picked.
Pierre: You know a darkhorse guy? Travis Zajac from Salmon Arm, going to the University of North Dakota. Tremendous offensive upside and he's got a lot of skill
[They discuss the Isle's scouts]
Gord: Mike's not going up.
Pierre: He knows because he made a bogey last year on Robert Nilsson.
[Isles take Nokelainen]
Gord: So much for no European.

Then they leave the topic and talk about who's got the most offensive upside out of Tukonen, Nokelainen, and Korpikoski.

I just remember the chatter in the HF chat room was all about the Coyotes being pushed into taking Wheeler at #5. The whole situation is awfully screwy.

firstroundbust

lacks explosiveness
Mar 3, 2004
Parts Unknown
Wheeler needs to shoot more often, I see that he passes up a decent to good scoring chance in order to make a pretty pass.

He needs to score more goals- he has the frame.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Wheeler needs to get out of the center position if he wants to take off. He tries to do too much there. He is and will be a wing in the NHL. He is the best player for the position on the gophers. Not to shabby to be the number 2 center on the a top 5nationally team and its not your position. He was .496 on face offs.

Most people sounds like, fail to see his versatility. He plays wing and center. He plays in fron of the net on the PP and on the corner. Might get a letter on his sweater. Yeah he was a make shift center. But Ryan Stoa another talented player could not make the transition as well and Okposo had to step up. Wheeler's ability to learn a new position should speak that he has hockey sense not lacks it. He had 2 shortie assists.

Plays PP, PK, wing, Center 6'5 220+. I ll take that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad