Blake Wheeler the forgotten prospect

The Fuhr*

Wheeler was the fifth overall pick in 2004. When he was drafted he was 6’3 and 185lbs. He now is just filling out and is starting to hit the potential he possesses, being 6’5 and 220lbs. He started dominating this past NCAA season after he was moved to center. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pIOjjz4jEY I think he is going to have a dominating NCAA season this year and really establish himself as a future star.

I think he rounds out as a 6’5 230-235lb center.
Exceptional speed.
His hand eye coordination is amazing right now and he is just getting used to his new found size, so it should become even better.

He has all the tools which will make him a difference maker out there.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuepVP-NBrs&mode=related&search=

Should be interesting watching him develop some more this season.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
I expect him to have a huge year this year in the NCAA..I wouldnt be suprised to see him hit 60 points.

The Fuhr*

bust in my eyes

*edit: that sounds really really really bad

How many times have you seen him play?

I seen him a few times after he made the switch to center. He has tools to be dominant. His hand eye coordination is ridiculous, especially for someone who has grew like he has. Two or three years from now when he has full control over his size :amazed:

The Fuhr*

I expect him to have a huge year this year in the NCAA..I wouldnt be suprised to see him hit 60 points.

I agree, I think this is a coming out season for him and will re-cement himself as a top prospect in the league.

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
I dunno, he just has too much of an Anime name to be a hockey player :shrug:

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
He's not forgotten, he's just not an elite prospect by any means.

There are not to many 18-20 year old 6'4 220 pound hockey players that have super well rounded games. He was and as of now still is a project. This year he is done growing. And should be at a steady weight, muscle wise. Still is out of position at center. He improved greatley from his freshman year to his sophmore year. Not everyone is a 5'11 190 pound ready player. Rob Blake stayed in college for 3 years. He turned out ok.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
He's not forgotten, he's just not an elite prospect by any means.

And Okposo is? :rolleyes:

Blake will surprise a lot of people. He is coming along nicely. Coyote fans are pleased.

BritSabre

Feb 10, 2006
Reading, UK
He was picked and automatically labelled a bust because at the time Wheeler seemed to be taken way to early. Though I don't think he'll ever prove to be the 5th best player in the draft, he will still emerge as a decent player at worst imo. He's someone I'd be very excited about if I were a Coyote fan.

5mn Major

Jan 14, 2006
Blake has taken time to acclimate to each level he's reached. But when he gets there...he just keeps on getting better. IMO he can easily pass Okposo to be the best player on Minnesota...and with 15 draft picks, including a handful of first and second rounders, that is saying alot.

Now he can become dominant on any given shift but he has to put in an extra effort. Blake needs a bit more time for dominance to come natural. Few at his level can match the beauty of his plays when he turns one in.

Sorry...can't resist:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuepVP-NBrs

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
There are not to many 18-20 year old 6'4 220 pound hockey players that have super well rounded games. He was and as of now still is a project. This year he is done growing. And should be at a steady weight, muscle wise. Still is out of position at center. He improved greatley from his freshman year to his sophmore year. Not everyone is a 5'11 190 pound ready player. Rob Blake stayed in college for 3 years. He turned out ok.

What does any of that have to do with being an elite prospect? That's not an insult, it's a fact. Wheeler has very intriguing size (that he doesn't use nearly enough) and a well above average skill-set, but that doesn't make him an elite prospect.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
What does any of that have to do with being an elite prospect? That's not an insult, it's a fact. Wheeler has very intriguing size (that he doesn't use nearly enough) and a well above average skill-set, but that doesn't make him an elite prospect.

I guess it all depends on what you think an elite prospect is. Is he one of the top 10 players not in the NHL, no. But he still has a very good shot at being a first line player.

white_tiger

Sep 10, 2006
Phoenix
He look damn good at the Rookie camp first part of July. He and Hanzel and Porter were a Line during most drills. Made those of us there look forward to 08-09 even more:)

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Imagine if Phoenix had drafted vanRiemsdyk.

JVR - Mueller - Wheeler would have been a cool all-USA line :)

I'm not sure about 60 points though. Wheeler's role in college hockey isnt as much about racking up points.

Sam of Montreal

May 5, 2007
Seriously, as much as phoenix is a garbage team, it still has great potential because they have great talent down the pipeline.

Mueller, Hanzal, Wheeler, Porter, Turris, maybe Kaigorodov add to that a Shane Doan and yo've got a team who will be good in the future.

Matt Jones, Keith Yandle, Chris Summers, add to that Ed Jovanovski, Zbynek Michalek and Keith Ballard and you,ve got quite a defense in a few years.

Goalies are a problem though.

Still, Coyotes are looking good in a few years. M'aybe not contender, but at least a cool team to watch.

Gopher_Nut

Dec 8, 2005
Imagine if Phoenix had drafted vanRiemsdyk.

JVR - Mueller - Wheeler would have been a cool all-USA line :)

I'm not sure about 60 points though. Wheeler's role in college hockey isnt as much about racking up points.

True, but he was not needed as much for scoring the last two yrs as he will be this yr.

IMO..This yr my Gophers don't have an elite offensive D-Man as we almost always do (can't wait to see Aaron Ness in a few yrs). Meaning the front lines need to bury the puck. Blake and KO need to step it up a notch. Blake disappeared for a good stretch during the 2nd half of the season last yr. He did reappear in the playoffs but I expected more.

BIG GIFS

Apr 29, 2004
He will be better than what some people, those who haven't seen him play and label everybody a bust after 22 years old, think. He was a project from the beginning and I think it will be a wait long-high reward type of player.

The n00b King ©*

like someone mentioned, a 20 year old that's 6'5 220 pounds who's playing in the NCAA should, pretty much, be dominant.

he's obviously a really big kid (could still fill out more) and make the bigs nearly based on his size.

We'll see.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
like someone mentioned, a 20 year old that's 6'5 220 pounds who's playing in the NCAA should, pretty much, be dominant.

he's obviously a really big kid (could still fill out more) and make the bigs nearly based on his size.

We'll see.

He's only been that big for like, 20 minutes, though. He's gotten better every year for the past 4 years, and it's always been a significant jump. The more he gets used to his body, the better he gets. Now that he's completely done growing (though he may still put on some weight), he can get fully acclimated to his body and show what he can do. He had 38 points in 44 games last season; not dominant, but certainly not shabby. From the get go, he was drafted as a project player, so no one is looking for him to dominate just yet. All we want is improvement from year to year, and so far, that's what we've seen.

And honestly, the 2004 draft isn't all that fantastic. Maybe Blake won't be a top 5 pick, but I have a hard time believing he won't be a top 10. As of right now, there aren't that many from that draft I'd trade him for, all things considered. There are only a select few players who the Coyotes could have drafted that have shown more at this stage, and I'd expect Wheeler to pass a few of them in the next few years.

With the way the Coyotes prospect pool is shaping up, I'd be thrilled if Wheeler turns into a 2nd liner. Really, though, we have a ton of excellent forward prospects, and I'm very excited for the future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad