Blake Wheeler proving people wrong???

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Hahaha. Okay, you not sucking any worse at poking around with a tennis racket after school, despite a growth spurt, really proves a point regarding a world class athlete. Give me a break.

I never really compared my ability to that of Wheeler. That would be insane. I was just comparing the level of lost ability, which should be relative to your ability. Nothing more, nothing less.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
I never really compared my ability to that of Wheeler. That would be insane. I was just comparing the level of lost ability, which should be relative to your ability. Nothing more, nothing less.
You know for some reason, and don't take this personally at all, I always thought you were a girl. That has more to do with another poster (a girl of course) having a similar handle to yours. Now I know there's 2 of you, and one of you is a giant. :)

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
I guess its no longer about whether the Coyotes were right to pick him at #5.

The debate is now more about whether he should have gone #3 in that draft now. How times change.

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
Personally, I think it is a little to early to conclude anything - one way or the other. He came into the league at a slightly older, more polished age than some other rookies and came out of the gate fast. Lets see him keep it up, before we start wondering if he should have gone top three.

I'd also like to see him play a bit more before we declare that he is only going to be a 15 goal third line winger.

Oh, and by the way, even if he had not had that 3 goal game, 3 goals in your first 19 games in the bigs is still pretty impressive. For comparison sake, Okposo (who everybody here has proclaime a stud prospect) has 2 goals in his first 19 games and I personally couldn't be happier with his play and general adjustment.

Capa*

No way Valabik busts imo.

TRUST ME. Atlanta fans will tell you different....at least I will, theres some that thinks he needs a bit more time and then there are others like myself that have completely given up hope. The kid is a freaking pylon out there.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
He may "only" have 6 goals but lets look at the competition for #3 spot behind Ovechkin and Malkin.

Barker - 3 goals
Ladd - 3 goals
Olesz - 2 goals
Stafford - 2 goals
Zajac - 2 goals
Wolski - 1 goal
Chipchura - 4 goals

Six goals doesnt seem so bad now.

I did miss Mike Green though - 7 goals.. I think its fair to say he'd be #3 now in a redraft. However I think the Coyotes selection at #5 that received such a firestorm of criticism has been validated now.

Vic Rattlehead*

Personally, I think it is a little to early to conclude anything - one way or the other. He came into the league at a slightly older, more polished age than some other rookies and came out of the gate fast. Lets see him keep it up, before we start wondering if he should have gone top three.

I'd also like to see him play a bit more before we declare that he is only going to be a 15 goal third line winger.

Oh, and by the way, even if he had not had that 3 goal game, 3 goals in your first 19 games in the bigs is still pretty impressive. For comparison sake, Okposo (who everybody here has proclaime a stud prospect) has 2 goals in his first 19 games and I personally couldn't be happier with his play and general adjustment.
Agreed.

I also can't wait to see Okposo play this season. I haven't caught any Islander games so far, but I've always been high on Okposo.

TRUST ME. Atlanta fans will tell you different....at least I will, theres some that thinks he needs a bit more time and then there are others like myself that have completely given up hope. The kid is a freaking pylon out there.

I remember immediately after the draft people were predicting Valabik would become a bust. The only reason he was picked so high was because of his size.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
he has 6 goals but 3 of those goals came in the same game
Hell be a 15-20 goal scorer 3rd line player

He already is a 15-20 goal, third liner so that's what he will continue to be at the absolute minimum. It's more likely that he will improve, score more and become a top-six forward. He currently has one of the top shooting % in the NHL. The debate should be whether he will be a first line player or a second line player.

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
He already is a 15-20 goal, third liner so that's what he will continue to be at the absolute minimum. It's more likely that he will improve, score more and become a top-six forward. He currently has one of the top shooting % in the NHL. The debate should be whether he will be a first line player or a second line player.

Really? So, tell me, how many 15 - 20 goal seasons has he had in the NHL?

How do you know that he is going to keep up his fast start over a full season? He is far, far away from demonstrating that he is "at minimum" a 20 goal scorer (which is not to say, btw, that I disagree with your overall take).

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Really? So, tell me, how many 15 - 20 goal seasons has he had in the NHL?

How do you know that he is going to keep up his fast start over a full season? He is far, far away from demonstrating that he is "at minimum" a 20 goal scorer (which is not to say, btw, that I disagree with your overall take).

I've watched every game Wheeler has played in Boston and he has easily demonstrated that he is "at a minumun" 15-20 goal scorer. He is already better than you think and it's no stretch to say he'll score 9-14 more goals in the next 60 games. It's more likely he will exceed 20 goals.

AgentNaslund*

you really cant say it, At the time he was way to high. But hey, thats what you hire your scouts for. Biggest lost to Phoenix. Used a 6th overall pick, and that player is not even in the NHL.

Canuck fans wanted Wheeler more then Brunnstrom. Glad hes turning out good.

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
a agree with Darth in that it's too early to tell - but as well with RR - this kid is going to be a good player - but we have this season to find out - my personal prediction is 17 goals and 14 assist at a +9... but that's really just me pulling #'s out of the air, :laugh:

Nikita Filatov*

he has 6 goals but 3 of those goals came in the same game
Hell be a 15-20 goal scorer 3rd line player

9 points in 19 games...with NO pro experience at all coming in....He's playing 11 minutes per night....He's projected to finish with 25 goals and about 40 points. So basically what you're saying, is you don't think he will improve at all? He's 22, never played an AHL game, right out of college into the NHL....Come on now. If he was in Montreal he'd be a future 50 goal scorer.

ugotmybeef*

Wheeler's stats are inflated, 4 of his 6 goals were against the Leafs. :sarcasm: He could win the Calder trophy if he faced us a couple more times.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I've only seen 2 Bruins games this season in full but in both cases Wheeler looked like he just didn't belong. I mean that in pretty much every aspect of the game.

Vic Rattlehead*

I've only seen 2 Bruins games this season in full but in both cases Wheeler looked like he just didn't belong. I mean that in pretty much every aspect of the game.

Evidently, 2 games is a small sample and not representative of his overall play this season. There were a couple of games where he was brutal, but his play lately has been good and he definitely belongs in the NHL.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Wheeler will be an NHL player for a long time. If the top 10 picks from the 2004 draft were picked again right now, he would no doubt be in the top 5 again.

The reason I am so confident that he will continue to succeed is because he has such outstanding physical ability. He is 6'5, 220lb and he skates unbelievably well. He is already a productive player 19 games into his pro career. He will get better, though probably not a ton better. I see him as a 25 goal, 50 point guy, which is a valuable player these days.

Abyss

GO BRUINS
Jun 20, 2005
CT
Wheeler will be an NHL player for a long time. If the top 10 picks from the 2004 draft were picked again right now, he would no doubt be in the top 5 again.

The reason I am so confident that he will continue to succeed is because he has such outstanding physical ability. He is 6'5, 220lb and he skates unbelievably well. He is already a productive player 19 games into his pro career. He will get better, though probably not a ton better. I see him as a 25 goal, 50 point guy, which is a valuable player these days.

As a Bruins fan, I'd take Malkin, AO, Green, Barker, Wolski, Meszaros, Booth, Krejci, Dubinsky, Edler, Franzen all over Wheeler at this point. Draft wise all are from 2004, and the overager (Franzen) I'd still take.

I think Wheeler will be good but re-draft he's not top 5, barely (if at all) top 10.

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
I've watched every game Wheeler has played in Boston and he has easily demonstrated that he is "at a minumun" 15-20 goal scorer. He is already better than you think and it's no stretch to say he'll score 9-14 more goals in the next 60 games. It's more likely he will exceed 20 goals.

First of all, the only conclusion I've drawn is that it is too early to say which way it will go with this kid. So, I'm not sure what the "already better than you think" refers to. When did I offer any real opinion about the kid other that to say his start is impressive and now let's see what will happen?

Second, a player goal player when he scores 20 goals - not when some hometown fan declares him to be such.
I gather by the "I've watched every game" that you are a B's fan. I only point this out because the hometown fans are generally the least objective source of information there is. I know I am hardly objective about players like Okposo and Nielsen.

My view is that it is best no to be too extreme and to take a wait and see approach with most kids. Wheeler has been wondeful so far. Let's see what happens next.

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site

Despite the nice numbers he has put up, he is only a first year pro. I'm not surprised if he doesn't look totally polished yet and that wouldn't convince me that he isn't going to be a star.

milbs06

Dec 3, 2007
not really since he was a 5th overall pick. living up to expectations i'd say.

ilovehockey

Jan 1, 2007
Why would he go any higher in the draft or in the draft if he was just going to sign with the team of his choice, but I know what you guys mean by his production.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad