Blake Wheeler proving people wrong???

gorrillaunit18

A lot of people (myself included) thought Wheeler was overrated and picked to early in the draft, however, he has been turning some heads and doing very well in college hockey the past few seasons? Do you think this will translate to the NHL?

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Well the 4 guys taken ahead of him have already seen time in the NHL and, 6 was Montoya who likely would have in a different situation, then the next 3 picks have all played at least 40 games in the NHL as well, as have many of the other 1st rounders.

Quite frankly i havnt seen enough of him to comment on the type of player he may become but what i can say is of the top 15 taken in '04 only Wheeler, Montoya, Valabik, Tukonen, Thelen and Dubnyk have yet to see significant time in the NHL. Two of those are goalies and Thelen and Valabik look like busts.

All that said he seems to be progressing well and it was fully expected he would need time to develop so :dunno:

The Fuhr*

His hand eye coordination is ridiculous for such a big man and will only get better.

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
I've been watching him for years, go to about 10-12 gopher games a year....i think he's overrated if anything....i don't think he'll be a top 2 line player on a nhl squad.

benji

Took too much, man.
Dec 8, 2002
Too much.
yo
Well the 4 guys taken ahead of him have already seen time in the NHL and, 6 was Montoya who likely would have in a different situation, then the next 3 picks have all played at least 40 games in the NHL as well, as have many of the other 1st rounders.

Quite frankly i havnt seen enough of him to comment on the type of player he may become but what i can say is of the top 15 taken in '04 only Wheeler, Montoya, Valabik, Tukonen, Thelen and Dubnyk have yet to see significant time in the NHL. Two of those are goalies and Thelen and Valabik look like busts.

All that said he seems to be progressing well and it was fully expected he would need time to develop so :dunno:

Exactly. If anything, it's mostly other players proving people right. Right now, as back then, there's no way Blake Wheeler should have been picked at #5. Time will tell the whole story.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
It was always known that he was a project pick and that he would take a lot of time to develop. We were all told that it was going to take a lot of patience. I don't doubt that he'll even end up seeing some significant AHL time, before he's a regular NHLer. Other guys from his draft class are already in the NHL. That's true. How many of them were picked right out of highschool and have packed on 40 pounds since draft day? Big kids like him take time. We all know that. What's important is that he's shown he has the tools. He's 6'5'', and when he hits the NHL, he'll probably weigh at least 230lbs. With his skating ability, coordination, and offensive capabilities, you could damn well have a very dangerous player on your hands. Whether he puts it all together is what remains to be seen. This was the same question he had on draft day. We won't know the answer for some time. So as far as the original question is concerned, no, I don't think he's proved anyone wrong. It's too early to tell.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Wheeler was a stretch at five, but that doesn't mean he can't be a productive player at the NHL level. He's certainly progressed each and every season with the Gophers, and looks much more stable on his skates and confident with the puck now then when he was a freshman. With a bit of pro seasoning, I'm sure he can have an impact at the NHL level.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Wheeler may have been a stretch at five, but certainly not the extent people were saying on draft day. A lot of rational people said he'd have been a reach in the top 15, and some even said he wasn't a first rounder. Obviously he still has a lot to prove (having never played an NHL game), but as of now, as strong as that draft has looked early on, there are only a few players drafted after him I'd consider better, and I'll go even further to say he might even be better than Ladd or Barker.

Wheeler is still a junior in college. I wouldn't be surprised if he went back for his senior year and then spent another year in the AHL on top of that. He was drafted to be a project player, and the Coyotes will take their time with him. That being said, he has already shown to have every tool you would want from a big man, with one exception: consistency. Some nights he will look like Eric Lindros and others like Oleg Kvasha. He has wheels, hands, grit, everything; the problem is simply that he only appears to be able to put it together once in a while. If he can find any semblance of consistency, he will be an perennial all-star. More likely, though, his top end is similar to that of someone like Eric Daze (minus the injury woes): a big guy who doesn't hit as much as people want, but who can still put up a solid 70 or 80 points. He'll probably never be the stereotypical Lindros/Neely power forward, and because he's 6'5 and 230 lbs., people will want him to, but he can still be a great contributor.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
i think he will play in the NHL. but i dont think he is going to be good in enough to deserve he's draft position.

Gopher_Nut

Dec 8, 2005
Wheeler may have been a stretch at five, but certainly not the extent people were saying on draft day. A lot of rational people said he'd have been a reach in the top 15, and some even said he wasn't a first rounder. Obviously he still has a lot to prove (having never played an NHL game), but as of now, as strong as that draft has looked early on, there are only a few players drafted after him I'd consider better, and I'll go even further to say he might even be better than Ladd or Barker.

Wheeler is still a junior in college. I wouldn't be surprised if he went back for his senior year and then spent another year in the AHL on top of that. He was drafted to be a project player, and the Coyotes will take their time with him. That being said, he has already shown to have every tool you would want from a big man, with one exception: consistency. Some nights he will look like Eric Lindros and others like Oleg Kvasha. He has wheels, hands, grit, everything; the problem is simply that he only appears to be able to put it together once in a while. If he can find any semblance of consistency, he will be an perennial all-star. More likely, though, his top end is similar to that of someone like Eric Daze (minus the injury woes): a big guy who doesn't hit as much as people want, but who can still put up a solid 70 or 80 points. He'll probably never be the stereotypical Lindros/Neely power forward, and because he's 6'5 and 230 lbs., people will want him to, but he can still be a great contributor.

You sum it up really well. I've seen everyone of his Gopher games. He's gotten significantly better each yr..But he does lack consistency. If he's throwing around his body he can really take over a game..Unfortunately, when he doesn't he can disappear. Think he needs to work on consistency/checking & his passing often seems a tad off.

With the above said...I think that in another 2-3 yrs he'll be a very good pro.

DoctorDoak

Mar 21, 2006
Ontario
Would Dustin Penner be a reasonable comparison? Another late-blooming power forward who played 4 years of college, although obviously much more unheralded as a young guy.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
A lot of people (myself included) thought Wheeler was overrated and picked to early in the draft, however, he has been turning some heads and doing very well in college hockey the past few seasons? Do you think this will translate to the NHL?

Its all about if he can find a niche in the NHL from where he can produce.

He was drafted for the old game. These days size really only matters offensivly, and in some defensive situatiosn. Having size is almost useless in the neutral zone.

Before it was extremely important to have size in the neutralzone too.

These days its more like if you are a great player, its great to have size. Before it was very very hard to be a great player without size...

The Fuhr*

Its all about if he can find a niche in the NHL from where he can produce.

He was drafted for the old game. These days size really only matters offensivly, and in some defensive situatiosn. Having size is almost useless in the neutral zone.

Before it was extremely important to have size in the neutralzone too.

These days its more like if you are a great player, its great to have size. Before it was very very hard to be a great player without size...

Blake Wheeler is also a fantastic skater and has a good amount of speed for a person his size. With the no obstruction rules in place, it will be near impossible for defenses to stop a 6'5 230lb winger crashing the net and causing havoc in the offensive zone. With the new rules and his size Wheeler was created for the PP in the new NHL.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Exactly. Regardless of the rules in place when Wheeler was drafted, his sheer size will be a benefit because, in addition to being a total hulk, he is a legitimately good skater (not just "good for his size") and he has above average hands. The Penner comparison probably isn't far off, though I think Penner is a bit tougher than Wheeler (albeit maybe not as skilled).

The Fuhr*

Exactly. Regardless of the rules in place when Wheeler was drafted, his sheer size will be a benefit because, in addition to being a total hulk, he is a legitimately good skater (not just "good for his size") and he has above average hands. The Penner comparison probably isn't far off, though I think Penner is a bit tougher than Wheeler (albeit maybe not as skilled).

I don't see Penner but I think Wheeler will be a Daze type force without the injury problems.

rt

May 13, 2004
I don't see Penner but I think Wheeler will be a Daze type force without the injury problems.

Daze averaged 30 goals and 23 assists per 82 games. From what I've seen of Wheeler, he's a pretty darn good play maker. I get what you are saying, though, that Wheeler's less of a power guy. The player he actually really reminds me of everytime I watch him play is Ladislav Nagy. A 6'5'' 225lb Ladislav Nagy.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
People shouldnt judge defencemen so fast because they dont step into the league at the age of 20 like alot of similar picked forwards. I think Valabik will make the transition probably next year to the NHL

Thelen is having a decent first year as a pro in ECHL but will have a longer road but I wouldnt be surprised to see him in the NHL at 23 or 24 after player 3 or 4 years in the minors

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Putting up the numbers like Wheeler has in the NCAA isn't as impressive as it seems. He should have put up numbers like he did last year from his freshman year forward and by this point should be a shoe-in for the Hobey Baker with as high as he was drafted and the relative skill level that he has. I would say he has been underachieving to this point and it will be interesting to see how he makes the transition to professional hockey. There are a laundry list of players that can produce numbers like Wheeler did last season and keep in mind that Gophers team was as strong as could be. He was 5th on his own team in scoring.

Heck, there are players like Nick Dodge of Clarkson putting up better numbers and looking like better overall players at this point and the kid was a 6th round draft pick. Wheeler should be running over NCAA players right now.

I still see a LOAD of potential for Wheeler but he's going to have to turn that into production and the ability to dominate games at the NCAA level. He has shown flashes and that's great, but it needs to be consistant from game in.

rt

May 13, 2004
Putting up the numbers like Wheeler has in the NCAA isn't as impressive as it seems. He should have put up numbers like he did last year from his freshman year forward and by this point should be a shoe-in for the Hobey Baker with as high as he was drafted and the relative skill level that he has. I would say he has been underachieving to this point and it will be interesting to see how he makes the transition to professional hockey. There are a laundry list of players that can produce numbers like Wheeler did last season and keep in mind that Gophers team was as strong as could be. He was 5th on his own team in scoring.

Heck, there are players like Nick Dodge of Clarkson putting up better numbers and looking like better overall players at this point and the kid was a 6th round draft pick. Wheeler should be running over NCAA players right now.

I still see a LOAD of potential for Wheeler but he's going to have to turn that into production and the ability to dominate games at the NCAA level. He has shown flashes and that's great, but it needs to be consistant from game in.

How many of the kids on your laundrey list had the kind of growth spurt Wheeler had. He was raw as sushi when the Coyotes picked him. Everyone knew it would take time. Time is not nearly up. Not even close.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad