GDT: Blackhawks Vs Preds Game 1: 4/13/2017 l 7PM CDT l CSN l NBCSN l SN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Callidusblackhawk

Feb 15, 2012
Downers Grove, Illinois
It's a bad PK. Even as the success rate has gone up, it's almost entirely because of Crawford's 4v5 SV% picking up. We're bottom 3 in the league as far as allowing unblocked shots and scoring chances at 4v5.

It's just a bad, bad, passive system this season, and I'll never understand why we constantly shuffle back from an aggressive PK (which the team has used in cup-winning years) back to passive PKs that never work for this team.

Stay out of the box.

And yeah, our PP is mediocre, but it always has been. The Blackhawks have never generated unblocked shots or scoring chances at 5v4 at the rate at which their talent and excellent 5v5 play over the years suggest they should.

When individual players' sh% spike, like Kane, Panarin or Panik, then the PP does well. When they drop off, it fails.

A PP's success should not be tied entirely to the ebbs and flow of player sh%. That is a poorly conceived, **** system, and has been since opponents figured out Q's one-trick pony, the backdoor pass from Toews to Sharp, all the way back in 2010/2011.

Thankfully, you really don't need a good PP to succeed. The PK is a far bigger problem.

Am I the only one who feels like this is because our players are lazy as **** on the PP? They don't move when they have the puck like other teams do.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
For ****s sake, no overtime, pls. Might be able to watch the whole game for a change if it doesn't go to OT.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
I watched parts of all 5 games yesterday and the common theme in all of them was how much the refs DIDN'T call, especially interference. Normally I would hate that as a Hawks fan because the Hawks are a finesse team who is hurt when the refs let stuff go uncalled ... however, with how bad the Hawks special teams are I think less calls would benefit the Hawks this time.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I watched parts of all 5 games yesterday and the common theme in all of them was how much the refs DIDN'T call, especially interference. Normally I would hate that as a Hawks fan because the Hawks are a finesse team who is hurt when the refs let stuff go uncalled ... however, with how bad the Hawks special teams are I think less calls would benefit the Hawks this time.

I agree.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Am I the only one who feels like this is because our players are lazy as **** on the PP? They don't move when they have the puck like other teams do.

Yes, no movement plus the annoying habit of looking for the perfect opportunity before getting the puck to the net.

Getting the puck to the blue paint plus Panik/Toews on the first unit and AA on the second unit all need to have net presence for PP success.

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
EasyWholeBlackrussianterrier.gif

Let the games begin and may your livers be blessed.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Better hope they just take care of it in regulation or you'll be in suspect shape by the end of the night

Light beer for the time being. **** doesn't get crazy until the game starts. :yo::yo:

Momentum shots then start flowing, as is our tradition. But for the time being, a few Bud Lights aren't going to put the nail in the coffin of my night.

It'll be fun, though. I'm effin pumped to start watching these guys make a run!

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Light beer for the time being. **** doesn't get crazy until the game starts. :yo::yo:

Momentum shots then start flowing, as is our tradition. But for the time being, a few Bud Lights aren't going to put the nail in the coffin of my night.

Momentum shots. I like it :laugh:

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

Yep. I will be having a few pops. For sure I will PVR this game if I need it later. :laugh:

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

It's fun. We take one right at the first faceoff of the game. Usually whatever is laying around. Then, whenever we think the Hawks need a little boost, the momentum shots get poured. :laugh:

Gives us an excuse to be hung over at work the next day I guess. Liver hates me this time of year. I don't drink a lot other than this time of year.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
There's a craft brewery a few blocks from my house with a Lager that I really like. So I picked up a Growler on the way back from work.

Depending on how the game goes, I'll follow up with Tequila shots.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
There's a craft brewery a few blocks from my house with a Lager that I really like. So I picked up a Growler on the way back from work.

Depending on how the game goes, I'll follow up with Tequila shots.

:yo:

Even with all our disagreements on this board... we can all come together over booze and playoff hockey. Nothing better.

JoehWild

Apr 11, 2015
Can't wait for the inevitable quintuple overtime, good thing I have tomorrow off work!

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Honestly, I'd rather this entire series be close. I'd rather the Hawks play well and the Preds play just a little better. If the Preds embarrass any part of the Hawks team, Q is going to jump on it to make adjustments. That's where the Hawks kill us, and everyone else, in the postseason.

I thought this was a really good thought from the main board game thread. There's some truth to it. Play just a little bit better than the Blackhawks over a long series, and Q's adjustments can come late and/or not be significant enough.

Really outplay them by a wide margin in a game, and you can trigger the kind of adjustments that win the Blackhawks the series.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I thought this was a really good thought from the main board game thread. There's some truth to it. Play just a little bit better than the Blackhawks over a long series, and Q's adjustments can come late and/or not be significant enough.

Really outplay them by a wide margin in a game, and you can trigger the kind of adjustments that win the Blackhawks the series.

Danger in this is that sometimes it doesn't come until its too late. They probably win that series against the Blues last year if Q got the lineup right from the start instead of down 3-1. I think it's important the Hawks jump to a series lead from the start to give some confidence to the players without playoff experience.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Danger in this is that sometimes it doesn't come until its too late. They probably win that series against the Blues last year if Q got the lineup right from the start instead of down 3-1. I think it's important the Hawks jump to a series lead from the start to give some confidence to the players without playoff experience.

But that kind supports the point. The Blues won those games by 1 goal, and for the most part they were played pretty close. So the changes were never triggered fast enough, or big enough.

If one of those early games is a blowout where the Blackhawks aren't even close, maybe Q gets to the correct roster quicker instead of thinking 'my original plan will work out, they'll turn it around' for too long.

Obviously you can't plan (as a staff) or hope (as a fan) for an embarassing blowout of your team in the playoffs.... but man I want that Kempny for Oduya swap as soon as humanly possible. 11% boost in possession, with better zone exits and a legitimate skating option out of the zone under pressure.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Probably more realistic that if the Oduya/Seabrook pairing is bad they get split up. Oduya would have to play pretty badly to get swapped out for Kempny imo. Never know but just the way I think it goes.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Probably more realistic that if the Oduya/Seabrook pairing is bad they get split up. Oduya would have to play pretty badly to get swapped out for Kempny imo. Never know but just the way I think it goes.

Yeah, you're probably right.... :(

Anything short of injury, that is... :naughty:

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

Amen... Couldn't have said it better. Excellent post.

GO HAWKS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad