Seabrook
EN-Hossa

Wilson
PK

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Hoping the D doesn't put up a 54SA night like the last game 1 Vs the Preds.

Preds will be hungry. 'hawks should be playing to prove last year was a fluke. Time to get win 1 of 16. :)

magnificent

Jul 6, 2016
I want to wish good luck to our team and nerves of steel for all the Blackhawks fans.

Let's Go, Boys!

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
5 Big Questions:

1.Can they Flip The Switch again?

2.Which Toews shows
up for entire games and series?

. NON-EXERTING version. ...Maybe 1a tops then that's all the sweat for the night ...

Or ...The Switch stays "ON" version who cannot be denied and Wilks the wins?

3.Which version of CC?

THE WALL or Water Bottle Crawford?

4.The PP? THE Oy Vey version or the We pay millions for these sl"stars" to perform and finally they live upto expectation with the man advantage version?

5.The PK? We all know how crucial a top PK means for playoff success..We cannot post a kill % as poor as our regular season % was. SO which PK version do we showbiz with....Incompetent or Competent?

Fiddy, this isn't an issue...

The PK is fine. They managed to get it to 24th in the league at just under 78% by the end of the season. Which is absolutely outrageous considering the way it started. They should have been lucky to get it out of last in the league... And goes to show how solid it was throughout the rest of the season. If they had started the way they ended up on the PK, it's probably somewhere in the 5-10 range.

No concerns about the PK, and for that matter, the PP. Their PP was 19th in the league. Far from outstanding, but close to the middle of the pack. A good PP is not needed to win the SC. A good PK is.

So yeah, your 4 and 5 can be disregarded, IMO.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Yikes. That's over 2 extra full games played in just game 1's. AFAIK the W/L record in Game 1 Round 1 is pretty shabby right?

CptnSerious

Them Intangibles
Apr 19, 2014
Nice GDT to kick off the playoffs. Aw yeah, can't wait til 7pm. Let's start this off with a win. :yo:

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Welp, let's get it on.

Still maintain this is totally a coin-flip series. Hopefully the coin lands on heads... Indian Heads, that is.

Winning game 1 on home ice would sure help. It's only going to get tougher on Nashville ice when Q can't attach the Kruger line to the Forsberg line every shift. That line is probably going to be the most critical to winning this series.

And for ****s sake, stay out of the box.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Fiddy, this isn't an issue...

The PK is fine. They managed to get it to 24th in the league at just under 78% by the end of the season. Which is absolutely outrageous considering the way it started. They should have been lucky to get it out of last in the league... And goes to show how solid it was throughout the rest of the season. If they had started the way they ended up on the PK, it's probably somewhere in the 5-10 range.

No concerns about the PK, and for that matter, the PP. Their PP was 19th in the league. Far from outstanding, but close to the middle of the pack. A good PP is not needed to win the SC. A good PK is.

So yeah, your 4 and 5 can be disregarded, IMO.

But no less an authority than Brent Soper of NBC Spies Chicago was on Sirius XM NHL Radio today and said that the Hawks PK has been a problem for 2 years! Said in today's NHL to be good in pk you gotta sacrifice and block shots...Hawks only a a few who do it ... (I will say who they are. .you almost know them. ...because do few..Hammer and Seabrook)few Hawks forwards..which is the real key...sacrifice their bodies and pretty faces to block shots ..and that is why we stink (24th in the league and 78% success is hardly a thing to crow about..as Sooel said if you want to be among the top ten in the league or even average nid-league in pk ...more guys have to sacrifice (and I woud add exert with urgency) pn the pk ..especially those MIA forwards)..BUT Sooel Saud that while Toews and Kruger would sacrifice "a little" at times..it was by far not enough to make a too pk..He said that because so few sacrifice themselves in blocking shots on the Hawks that the best pk player has got to be Crawford (or Darling if he gets the net) ..The philosophy of tge Hawks he said was in reference to Crawford..."we pay him a lot " so he has to stop the puck (the inference was that IF we had better puck blockage,then pucks never get to Crawford and we would not have to rely on him that much to get our pk better..but alas we did not see pk guys sacrifice themselves enough during the 82 game regular season grind..that must change ..else we are right back to watching the play ..to copious time in our zone as we chase ..and to relying on CC to bail us out .

Now
.you do not expect Toews et al up front to sacrifice their pretty faves amd other body parts to help CC on the pk ...do you?

THIS I DO think it is concern that we just cannot think is no longer a concern because it was so "great" AFTER the first 15 game disaster period. .it was better..but hardly improved enough that is bis no longer a worry area.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I think Fiddy is right. IMO, the Hawks are the best even strength team in the NHL. However, our special teams are not our strength. Obviously, our PK is not as bad as the start of the year ... however, it's the weakest PK unit we've had relative to any of our Stanley Cup teams ... at least optics wise. The Hawks will have to be even more disciplined.

Our PP basically comes down to Panarin and Kane. The others components are average at best. Dependent on Kane and Panarin, our PP can be scary or bad. I'm not too worried about the recent SH goals. That was due to new players being put in unfamiliar positions.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Received this text 10 minutes ago

"I have an extra ticket to the Hawks game tonight in the company suite. I asked ***** but he hasn't responded. It's yours if he doesn't take it"

Oh my...

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
It's just wishful thinking that there should be no concern about ST's. Both the PK and the PP were inconsistent for Hawks all season long. A good remedy for the PK is to keep it off the ice by staying out of the box.

Centers losing key face-offs (especially clean losses) is also a problem that should be a concern going in to this series. The eye test tells me that the (important) face-off losses got worse down the stretch.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
I think Fiddy is right. IMO, the Hawks are the best even strength team in the NHL. However, our special teams are not our strength. Obviously, our PK is not as bad as the start of the year ... however, it's the weakest PK unit we've had relative to any of our Stanley Cup teams ... at least optics wise. The Hawks will have to be even more disciplined.

Our PP basically comes down to Panarin and Kane. The others components are average at best. Dependent on Kane and Panarin, our PP can be scary or bad. I'm not too worried about the recent SH goals. That was due to new players being put in unfamiliar positions.

It's a bad PK. Even as the success rate has gone up, it's almost entirely because of Crawford's 4v5 SV% picking up. We're bottom 3 in the league as far as allowing unblocked shots and scoring chances at 4v5.

It's just a bad, bad, passive system this season, and I'll never understand why we constantly shuffle back from an aggressive PK (which the team has used in cup-winning years) back to passive PKs that never work for this team.

Stay out of the box.

And yeah, our PP is mediocre, but it always has been. The Blackhawks have never generated unblocked shots or scoring chances at 5v4 at the rate at which their talent and excellent 5v5 play over the years suggest they should.

When individual players' sh% spike, like Kane, Panarin or Panik, then the PP does well. When they drop off, it fails.

A PP's success should not be tied entirely to the ebbs and flow of player sh%. That is a poorly conceived, **** system, and has been since opponents figured out Q's one-trick pony, the backdoor pass from Toews to Sharp, all the way back in 2010/2011.

Thankfully, you really don't need a good PP to succeed. The PK is a far bigger problem.

Last edited:

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Am I the only person who sees just how important Kruger is to this team and trading him will be a huge blow without somebody ready to step up and dominate match ups the way he can?

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Am I the only person who sees just how important Kruger is to this team and trading him will be a huge blow without somebody ready to step up and dominate match ups the way he can?

No.

Many people here understand how critical Kruger is to the Blackhawks deployment, their ability to win, and the success they've had.

That doesn't mean we can afford to keep him. But it means the team will likely struggle for awhile before somebody steps up to do what he does as consistently well as he does it.

As I said earlier in the thread, there's a good chance the Hartman-Kruger-Hossa line will be the most important line for the Blackhawks this series when Q goes into full playoff matchup-happy mode.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
My series prediction is Hawks in 6, but Preds take this one tonight.

Regular season was too easy for Hawks fans, gotta go full Trollhawks at some point and I feel it starts tonight.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
My series prediction is Hawks in 6, but Preds take this one tonight.

Regular season was too easy for Hawks fans, gotta go full Trollhawks at some point and I feel it starts tonight.

I don't know if it's tonight, but I have a feeling we split our first two. However, I think the Hawks will roll after that in the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad