Value of: Blackhawks moving up into top10

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'm not sure they'll be a taker for that trade, given how this draft seems to have a dropoff around pick 12-14.

But based on past trades, including the ones listed above, I actually do think it's potentially possible. I'm also remembering the Coyotes recently moving up from #27, #34, and #45 for pick #11 to take Conor Geekie. So generically a similar trade would be #20, #34, and #58 for pick #9 or #10.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Personally looking at the current Chicago roster for young players and prospects, I think they'd be much better off with 4 high-ish picks than 1 top 10 pick that isn't top 4.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Probably not as high as you'd think. Trading down for multiple picks makes more sense in the NFL than it does for the NHL. NHL teams will generally only trade down (in the first round) if they think they can safely move down and still land their intended target. So usually you don't see teams move down more than a handful of slots.

One possible horror story was Anaheim in 2008. They had emptied out their farm system in winning the Cup in 2007, so they thought they had an opportunity to restock their prospect cupboard. They had pick #12 and apparently really liked Erik Karlsson. They thought they could trade down and still land Karlsson.

They traded #12 for #17 and #28. Then later traded #28 for #35 and #39. According to most draft pick value charts, Anaheim knocked it out of the park. But Ottawa traded up from #18 to snipe Karlsson at #15.

Anaheim's opportunity cost of Karlsson netted them Jake Gardiner, Nicolas Deschamps, and Eric O'Dell. Something like that might be why most teams would rather stay put rather than risk it for garden variety 2nd rounders.

Post-lockout examples:

2006: Montreal traded #16 to San Jose for #20 and #53.

2007: Anaheim traded #16 to Minnesota for #19 and #42.

2008: Nashville traded #15 to Ottawa for #18 and #70

2009: Minnesota traded #12 to NY Islanders for #16, #77, and #181

2010: Florida traded #15 to Los Angeles for #19 and #59

2012: Calgary traded #14 to Buffalo for #21 and #42 -- rough draft and Calgary was targeting Mark Jankowski

2013: Detroit traded #18 to San Jose for #20 and #58

2021: Dallas traded #15 to Detroit for #23, #48, and #138. Edmonton traded #20 to Minnesota for #22 and #90. -- In both cases Dallas/Edmonton got their intended targets.
My God... we traded up to draft Colton Gillies?!?

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
My God... we traded up to draft Colton Gillies?!?

i_hug_that_feel.png

-----------

Had some draft floor compilation stuff pop up in my YouTube feed. Had my memory jogged that in 2019 Vegas offered #17 and a third (unspecified if #79 or #87) for #15 and Montreal declined so they could take Cole Caufield. Montreal didn't try to counteroffer, they were content to stay put. I think Vegas was targeting Peyton Krebs who they got at #17 anyways.

Just another example that the fish can refuse the proverbial bait.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'm not sure they'll be a taker for that trade, given how this draft seems to have a dropoff around pick 12-14.

But based on past trades, including the ones listed above, I actually do think it's potentially possible. I'm also remembering the Coyotes recently moving up from #27, #34, and #45 for pick #11 to take Conor Geekie. So generically a similar trade would be #20, #34, and #58 for pick #9 or #10.
2 things needed to line up. Coyotes having the extra picks, which CHI does have and SJ sorely lacking picks having acquiring EK and making a lot of win now moves.

I mean, just looking at the top 10,
SJ, Chi, Ana, Cbs, AZ, Mon, Ott are your bottom 7.
I don't see any of the other 6 looking to add more prospects to their pool by moving out from the top 7. Those clubs have been at the bottom for a couple of years now, so quantity isn't what they are seeking.

So, down to 8-10 picks.

SEA, PItt, Cal, Buff, NJ hold slots 8-12 currently.

Sea, I think they bet on the higher pick turning out than 20 and the extra.
Pitt, No top end talent and have to decide whether to give his pick up or risk the unprotected 2025 pick to SJ.
Cal, they already have Van's 1st, so no need for them to drop to 20.
Buff, they are more of a we need guys who can help us now than adding picks.
NJ, they are better off using this pick on player or trading it for now help since Hughes is on his great 2nd contract. No real need to drop down.

So, if we talk more reality, I don't see much reason for teams to go down to 20 for additional picks.

Again, NFL vs NHL view 2nd rounders much differently when it comes to draft day trades. You're getting guys now in the NFL vs waiting 2-4 years for 2nd rounders to play. GM who trades down might not be around for those extra picks to arrive.

OTC

Jul 11, 2018
Personally looking at the current Chicago roster for young players and prospects, I think they'd be much better off with 4 high-ish picks than 1 top 10 pick that isn't top 4.
If Hawks player drops out of top 10: Hawks # 20 & #34 for one of #11-15

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
I’d certainly trade a Buffalo 10-12 for that package if we could then flip the 2nds for 2 more Jordan Greenways and package the first for a good 3C

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
If I'm Chicago I'm not moving those 2nds for anything especially with Bedard and an outside shot at Celebrini. That's like your Toews/Kane

For reference the Hawks in the years leading to their near decade of dominance drafted the following in the 2nd round

Keith
Crawford
Bolland
Bickell
Pirri
Saad
HM to DeBrincat in 2016

While these guys didn't all play essential or huge rolls they absolutely had value to the Hawks in those playoff runs and contributed to 3 cups in 6 years.

That depth on cheap contracts is gonna be huge for them

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I’d certainly trade a Buffalo 10-12 for that package if we could then flip the 2nds for 2 more Jordan Greenways and package the first for a good 3C
That's a more logical/sound strategy for Buffalo to go with given where they are. They are not in a position to add more draft picks and wait 3-4 years for them. They need to be packaging some youth to get better Now players.

Again, looking at the top 12, I don't see any team in a position that would want to just trade back and draft with those extra picks. They'd have to be in a position to use them via trade to get something for now.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
It’s a sensible thought no doubt. They need as many lotto picks as a rebuilding team needs.
Well no team will say no to lottery picks but The Hawks already have a top 4 pick and their young star to build around so use the other picks and draft smart.

Within 2-3 years Chicago will be a hot UFA destination I am guessing. The Hawks rebuild wont take as long as other teams....

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Curious what the LA , VAN (2nd rders) and Isaak Phillips fetches ? Phillips is a real good prospect but the Blackhawks will eventually have to deal a young LD .

Players like that don't have a ton of value: Will need waivers in Sept, late rd pick- sure he's gotten into some games in CHI but likely wouldn't have on other teams, decent progression for sure, but I'd say his value is about a 4th but I can see there being some team offering a 3rd.

No offense, but if you aren't one of the top 4 LD's on a bad team it's doubtful you are going to make a roster on better teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad