Status
Not open for further replies.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012

HagelsBagels

Apr 24, 2021
Nashville, TN
I don't have a problem with Vosters, at all. He's young and he's learning and he'll get better, probably, if given time. Is he a great hockey announcer? No, not yet. I really don't hear the problem that gives so many of my fellow Hawks fans the vapors. I would 100 times rather listen to Vosters and Pang or Chelios than the Pat & Eddie lounge act.
I honestly think people are just gonna hate anyone that's not Foley. I didn't mind Dan Kelly but Hawks fans despised him in the years he took over for Foley.

Vosters is legitimately terrible though. Chicago is too big of a hockey market to bring in someone with no hockey background and tell him to learn it on the job. Nothing against him personally.

Reactions: Pez68

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
I honestly think people are just gonna hate anyone that's not Foley. I didn't mind Dan Kelly but Hawks fans despised him in the years he took over for Foley.

Vosters is legitimately terrible though. Chicago is too big of a hockey market to bring in someone with no hockey background and tell him to learn it on the job. Nothing against him personally.

I'm going to take one more swing at this dead horse. My point is based on the assumption that fans who comment on hockey sites know the game well enough to not really need the play-by-play guy to describe and break down the play because we see the play in front of us. The only thing we need from the play-by-play is to call out numbers and names which can sometimes be difficult to determine on the screen. Just call the play on the ice and identity the players involved - that's it and from my perspective he does that well enough to not be a distraction. I don't need him to describe what icing or high-sticking is.

Another thing that may influence my opinion to be more forgiving that others is that I watch a lot of CHL and NCAA games and there are some god-awful announcers duos that do those games so at the very least Vosters is superior by comparison.

Reactions: jls24

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont

Foley was around a long time. He wasn’t even that great but he knew hockey atleast. No one is mad that it’s not Foley.

It’s just an awful product. He doesn’t know the game.

I'm going to take one more swing at this dead horse. My point is based on the assumption that fans who comment on hockey sites know the game well enough to not really need the play-by-play guy to describe and break down the play because we see the play in front of us. The only thing we need from the play-by-play is to call out numbers and names which can sometimes be difficult to determine on the screen. Just call the play on the ice and identity the players involved - that's it and from my perspective he does that well enough to not be a distraction. I don't need him to describe what icing or high-sticking is.

Another thing that may influence my opinion to be more forgiving that others is that I watch a lot of CHL and NCAA games and there are some god-awful announcers duos that do those games so at the very least Vosters is superior by comparison.
Don’t need the breakdown. Don’t need the play explained. But I do need the guy calling the thing to understand what’s going on. You can’t make the right call if your game knowledge is a D.

He’s professional. Everything else is terrible in my opinion.

I agree on the NCAA and CHL stuff but that’s not the bar. This is a premier franchise with a premier talent. We shouldn’t be hiring some guy figuring it out. Go figure it out calling the Ice Hogs

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
I know my last post said I would stop beating the dead horse ... but the damn thing is still moving so here's another whack ... :laugh:

I have a question for you - would you rather have Foley and Eddie or Vosters and whomever?

I ask this question because I would take practically anyone over what turned into the Pat and Eddie lounge act. I would have no problem with Vosters being replaced but in my opinion he is far and away less cringe worthy than what we were subjected to having to listen to the Pat and Eddie bromance, especially when the team declined so the product on the ice could no longer hold their attention.

MarotteMarauder

Jul 23, 2022
2 plays of note that I saw last game that will not show up on any highlight reel: 72 bumping a guy off the puck behind our net and then using his big body to shield off the opponent while skating up the boards to make a nice exit. and 44 picking up the puck behind our net with a guy on his tail, he used the net to shield and then took off straight up the slot to begin a 3 on 2.

I was very excited to see both plays from youngsters.

Reactions: Pez68 and Giovi

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
2 plays of note that I saw last game that will not show up on any highlight reel: 72 bumping a guy off the puck behind our net and then using his big body to shield off the opponent while skating up the boards to make a nice exit. and 44 picking up the puck behind our net with a guy on his tail, he used the net to shield and then took off straight up the slot to begin a 3 on 2.

I was very excited to see both plays from youngsters.
Yes, I recall both plays. 44 can really skate when he wants to and Vlasic's game is generally subtly efficient. I can easily see him logging major minutes in his career.

Clownish

Jan 1, 2014
jKhAPgl.jpg
aRjN4Jo.jpg
Why does AI always struggle with secondary text, numbers, and random hands not looking right? The main idea of the picture is always cool, but it goes bonkers on the details. "THIE Chicago Blackhawks" "UNIITED Center"

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
I know my last post said I would stop beating the dead horse ... but the damn thing is still moving so here's another whack ... :laugh:

I have a question for you - would you rather have Foley and Eddie or Vosters and whomever?

I ask this question because I would take practically anyone over what turned into the Pat and Eddie lounge act. I would have no problem with Vosters being replaced but in my opinion he is far and away less cringe worthy than what we were subjected to having to listen to the Pat and Eddie bromance, especially when the team declined so the product on the ice could no longer hold their attention.
No endorsement of Vosters, as I agree with those who say he shouldn't be getting paid by an NHL team to learn the game. But I definitely prefer him to the Pat and Eddie show.

Reactions: jls24

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida

If I pick Pat and Ed do I get some soft serve too?

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018

Tinordi on IR, Phillips back up. Hall and AA are likely shorter term. No word on if KK is on PP1 or not.

Callidusblackhawk

Feb 15, 2012
Downers Grove, Illinois

These were not the only two options though. They tried out 3-4 guys aside from Vosters during Foley's last season. I would guess that probably 95% of this board wanted and assumed the Hawks would go with Weideman and Murray as Foley and Edzo's replacements. That's probably what a lot of people are most upset about. They had the perfect (or at the very least serviceable) replacements right there and passed over them for a total hockey noob.

I honestly think Vosters is getting better but the improvements have been very marginal so far and its a long ass road ahead before I can say I like him as an announcer.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
The funny part about Foley is he could sound almost three sheets to the wind and mid-yacking, at an advanced age, could somehow consistently call a goal properly on a quick play where there were 4/5 bodies/sticks around the net. While play by play is sort of overblown, IMO, being able to have a laser focus on the puck then call the big moments correctly (which most any former player can do) is important.

LavalPhantom

Sep 12, 2014
Why does AI always struggle with secondary text, numbers, and random hands not looking right? The main idea of the picture is always cool, but it goes bonkers on the details. "THIE Chicago Blackhawks" "UNIITED Center"
It’s its way to deceive you that it’s not gonna kill you soon 😂

scorehawks

Feb 13, 2021
I actually used to enjoy Pat and Eddie goofing off on the broadcast.

Tree turdy tree in the turd, score tree to tree was one of my favorites.
It was kinda funny the first 30 times....it was the last million times that were annoying.

Reactions: Giovi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad