Pre-Game Talk: Blackhawks at Sharks - 2/5 at 9:30 PM CT

Status
Not open for further replies.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
Crawford is playing extremely well, but Emery's performance in Calgary was far more "Vezina-level" than anything Crawford has done this season.

Ray had no help, faced 47 shots, 30+ scoring chances, and only gave up two goals. If the Vezina were given out for one-game performances, it would have Ray Emery's name on it right now.

I was at the game and it was more like Calgary shooting it into Emery's pads, misisng the net or hitting the post that benefited Emery.

Emery got it done, to be sure, but it was likely more just randomness than a "star is born".

LarmerAmonteSeabrook

Emery may start in PHX, per Lazerus.

It makes sense, since his other start this season was the last time we were in Phoenix.

I'm kind of glad San Jose had to travel to Anaheim while our guys have been in San Jose since yesterday afternoon. Our guys had a nice practice today and can't be any more prepared for tomorrow's game. I'm expecting all lines to come out flying.

w00d

Remember the Roar
Oct 14, 2011
Chicago Stadium
Good game at the Ponda Center tonight. The Sharks did not look all that threatening, to be honest. Ducks gave them their first regulation loss. Niemi wasn't in net tonight, however. He'll be in tomorrow vs. the Hawks.

Should be another W on the road for us.

Sir Psycho T

More Cowbell!
Oct 1, 2008
Redwood City, CA
Good game at the Ponda Center tonight. The Sharks did not look all that threatening, to be honest. Ducks gave them their first regulation loss. Niemi wasn't in net tonight, however. He'll be in tomorrow vs. the Hawks.

Should be another W on the road for us.

Neither have the Hawks in their last few games.

I have seen the Sharks play every night and this is a talented and deep hockey team. Strong forward lines 1-4, with a good balance of skill, speed, grit and size. A defense that plays really sound hockey and strong goalkeeping. The break for the Hawks is the rest and the Sharks playing 3-4. All things being even, these teams are even with a slight edge to SJ.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
I like that Craw gets this start. He is our starter and this may be the hottest team right now.

I'd go (see below) with the next games unless Craw or Emery goes on a SO streak :sarcasm:

SJ: Crawford
PHO: Emery
NSH: Crawford
ANA: Crawford
LA: Emery
VAN: Crawford
CBJ: Emery
EDM: Emery
STL: Crawford

Yes, I'd start Emery on back to back nights unless he sucks big time.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
I like that Craw gets this start. He is our starter and this may be the hottest team right now.

I'd go (see below) with the next games unless Craw or Emery goes on a SO streak :sarcasm:

PHO: Emery
NSH: Crawford
ANA: Crawford
LA: Emery
VAN: Crawford
CBJ: Emery
EDM: Emery
STL: Crawford

Yes, I'd start Emery on back to back nights unless he sucks big time.

Emery has one good game and all of a sudden he gets 40% of the starts including back-to-back starts?

Holy over-reaction Batman!!!!!

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I was at the game and it was more like Calgary shooting it into Emery's pads, misisng the net or hitting the post that benefited Emery.

Emery got it done, to be sure, but it was likely more just randomness than a "star is born".

That’s how I saw it as well. Like most goalies in this era Emery was solid blocking the lower part of the net. However, Flames shooting was terrible and the top half of the net looked vulnerable to me. No doubt Emery played well but he had some luck on his side. He is a more athletic goalie than Crawford and can usually recover for the 2nd shot better but his lateral movement is suspect (same as Crawfords). His experience allows him to compensate pretty well though.

As for who plays when. I think Crawford has played well enough to be the main guy but if he falters Q should not hesitate to sit him for a stint. That said, if Emery continues to impress when he does get the nod, down the stretch I’d like to see Q go with the hot goalie. I don’t want to see Q hand the start to CC in the playoffs if he hasn’t earned it.

MadhouseOnMadison

Man crush on Amonte
Oct 15, 2010
Not sure what to expect in this one. We usually step up when playing quality teams but the team has looked pretty flat the past few games.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Emery has one good game and all of a sudden he gets 40% of the starts including back-to-back starts?

Holy over-reaction Batman!!!!!

Agreed. When a guy is bad for over a year spanning two contracts, you're going to see an overreaction. Think about the short fat kid you played with as a kid who finally scored. It's like it was overtime Game 7 and gets more credit than it should. However, he played great, stole a win and he got the kudos. Now you park that game where it is and move on to the next one. Nobody should be entertaining the idea of using him more with the way Crawford is playing until he puts 4 or 5 of these together. As it stands, we'll use him only when we have to and hope to get a good performance in those games. If he turns around and lays an egg, obviously we're back to square one. One game at a time.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Agreed. When a guy is bad for over a year spanning two contracts, you're going to see an overreaction. Think about the short fat kid you played with as a kid who finally scored. It's like it was overtime Game 7 and gets more credit than it should. However, he played great, stole a win and he got the kudos. Now you park that game where it is and move on to the next one. Nobody should be entertaining the idea of using him more with the way Crawford is playing until he puts 4 or 5 of these together. As it stands, we'll use him only when we have to and hope to get a good performance in those games. If he turns around and lays an egg, obviously we're back to square one. One game at a time.

Emery had quite a few quality starts last year, and he has only played through 1 contract so far. This is nothing like a fat kid who finally scored.

More like, a kid on the 4th line that jsut scored his first of 5 goals on the season.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I have a feeling in my gut this is the game Saad registers a point. (goal or assist)

He's playing way to well not to. I hope he scores a goal. You have to love Saad's attitude. Keeps his mouth shut and just works. If the goals/points aren't coming, his answer is to work even harder.

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
He's playing way to well not to. I hope he scores a goal. You have to love Saad's attitude. Keeps his mouth shut and just works. If the goals/points aren't coming, his answer is to work even harder.

I really felt for the guy when that goal got waved off in Vancouver.

I could almost hear him screaming "COME ON" all the way from here.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Sharks fans even more pessimistic than us. Lots of fans predicting a Hawks win in their GDT

puterwiz53

Nov 17, 2010
Saint John, New Brunswick
If the Hawks really want to win this game, they need to bring more grit. The Sharks love to hit and hit often. Unless the Hawks can control the puck possession game it will be very difficult to pull out a win. Yes the Sharks are a bit tired but if they come out really hitting it will tire the Hawks out very quickly unless the Hawks start hitting back equally as much.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Didn't Toews get his concussion against the Sharks last year, via Thornton? Could we see a little 'payback' tonight? Not condoning injuring any one, but maybe Bollig/Mayers, Shaw, Brookbank get in Thorntons face a bit?

Hope so!

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
If the Hawks really want to win this game, they need to bring more grit. The Sharks love to hit and hit often. Unless the Hawks can control the puck possession game it will be very difficult to pull out a win. Yes the Sharks are a bit tired but if they come out really hitting it will tire the Hawks out very quickly unless the Hawks start hitting back equally as much.

Actually, I think it would be to our benefit if SJ comes out banging (I thought they might do the opposite). Unless they’re in tip top condition, which I doubt, we should be able to wear them down by the 3rd period. I do agree that we will need to play a gritty game though... and gotta stay out of the box. We are due for our PK to blow up in our face (for reasons discussed). It will be interesting.
Unfortunately I must PVR this game; too late for me.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Crawford is playing extremely well, but Emery's performance in Calgary was far more "Vezina-level" than anything Crawford has done this season.

Ray had no help, faced 47 shots, 30+ scoring chances, and only gave up two goals. If the Vezina were given out for one-game performances, it would have Ray Emery's name on it right now.

And if players had there contracts terminated in NHL after 1 game then Emery would be unemployed

Emery played well vs Flames but he shouldn't be given the next start as a result... Craw is the #1 and its his job to carry team vs the elite of NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad