Pre-Game Talk: Blackhawks at Sharks - 2/5 at 9:30 PM CT

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadhouseOnMadison

Man crush on Amonte
Oct 15, 2010
Bolland might be back?

I avoided that thread about his injury once it turned into a Kruger/faceoffs discussion and I promptly did a...

leaving-now-grandpa-simpsons.gif

cherrypik

Jun 2, 2010
Mundelein, IL
Luckily we get San Jose playing their 3rd game in 4 nights.

Yeah, I was thinking about that as well. We need to win games when our opponents are playing 3 games in 4 nights. We played and lost both games against Minny and Van when they were playing their 3 game in 4 nights. IMO, We have looked bad in the 2nd and 3rd periods in our 3rd game in 4 night(STL, DET, CAL) games.

P.S. I know the Calgary win offset the two loser points we got in those games.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Yeah, I was thinking about that as well. We need to win games when our opponents are playing 3 games in 4 nights. We played and lost both games against Minny and Van when they were playing their 3 game in 4 nights. IMO, We have looked bad in the 2nd and 3rd periods in our 3rd game in 4 night(STL, DET, CAL) games.

P.S. I know the Calgary win offset the two loser points we got in those games.

Vancouver wasn't a 3rd game in 4 nights, only Minnesota was.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
It seems to me that Bolland has always been a slow healer and I hope he’s back, but I wouldn’t count on it. If not I think we will need a strong game from Shaw, who has been better lately. SJ will likely want to play a no-hitter to preserve their strength. Hawks need to play a gritty game (early on especially) to wear them down… no fly bys please!

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Let's just hope that everybody's awake tomorrow as opposed to the past couple days and that we don't have to rely on our netminder to stand on his head just to keep us in it.

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
Hawks offense sans Kane and Hossa has disappeared. The rest of the team needs to start helping out getting some goals for support. Any road point is a good point but playing 1 goal games doesnt bode well for the percentages, especially when it come to playing powerhouse offensive teams like the Sharks. Hawks used to be until the O flatlined.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
If there is ever a game where a parade to the penalty box will extinguish any hope of winning - it's this one. SJ's PP is lethal with Marleau, the Big Pavelski and the Big Doofus virtually unstoppable with the man advantage.

The Sharks get almost all scoring from the top two lines: Marleau (9), Thronton (3), Pavelski (4), Couture (5), Havlat (3), and Clowe (0) and ZERO goals from the 3rd and 4th lines. D-men have the other goals with Boyle (2), Vlassic (1) and Irwin (1). I know it's a road game so Q will be hard pressed to get line matchups he would want - but I'd try to get Toews line out against the Thornton line and go head to head with the two best lines.

w00d

Remember the Roar
Oct 14, 2011
Chicago Stadium
I'm tempted to buy a ticket to the Ducks-Sharks game tonight in Anaheim. I'm not convinced this Sharks team is for real and I think the Ducks are going to beat them tonight and the Hawks will beat them tomorrow. Marleau and Thornton are overdue to get back to their usual underachieving selves.

Edit: Just got tickets to Ducks-Sharks tonight, I'll give a scouting report after the game. Hopefully the Sharks get good and tired.

Last edited:

FakeKidPoker*

Big, tough, physical team.

Can Toews get out of this one healthy?

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
@ChrisKuc
Corey Crawford will start in goal for #Blackhawks vs. Sharks tomorrow night.

Can't say it's the wrong choice, but Ray has definitely earned the right not to have to wait six games to get another start.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
So relieved that Bolland injury wasn't major. At the time, I didn't see the slash and thought it was his knee

w00d

Remember the Roar
Oct 14, 2011
Chicago Stadium
Emery is #2, Crawford is #1. One great game from a #2 doesn't give him the right to start over a #1. He's earned some more starts, but that's all. Crawford is playing at Vezina-level right now and won't be challenged in his position by anyone. As long as they both keep playing well, I expect Emery will get more frequent starts later in the year in order to keep Crawford fresh for the playoffs. I predicted 8-10 starts for Emery at the beginning of the year, and he'll probably get 12-16 now.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Emery is #2, Crawford is #1. One great game from a #2 doesn't give him the right to start over a #1. He's earned some more starts, but that's all. Crawford is playing at Vezina-level right now and won't be challenged in his position by anyone. As long as they both keep playing well, I expect Emery will get more frequent starts later in the year in order to keep Crawford fresh for the playoffs. I predicted 8-10 starts for Emery at the beginning of the year, and he'll probably get 12-16 now.

Kinda contradicting yourself here. After 1 great game, you've jumped up his start total by as many as 8 games.

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC

Crawford is playing extremely well, but Emery's performance in Calgary was far more "Vezina-level" than anything Crawford has done this season.

Ray had no help, faced 47 shots, 30+ scoring chances, and only gave up two goals. If the Vezina were given out for one-game performances, it would have Ray Emery's name on it right now.

Oh_so_saad

Sep 18, 2012
Seattle
Crawford is playing extremely well, but Emery's performance in Calgary was far more "Vezina-level" than anything Crawford has done this season.

Ray had no help, faced 47 shots, 30+ scoring chances, and only gave up two goals. If the Vezina were given out for one-game performances, it would have Ray Emery's name on it right now.

it was one game.

w00d

Remember the Roar
Oct 14, 2011
Chicago Stadium
Kinda contradicting yourself here. After 1 great game, you've jumped up his start total by as many as 8 games.

What I meant was that Emery doesn't automatically get to keep starting consecutive games, which is the starter's job. If Emery were allowed to start against San Jose tomorrow, then that would mean he's become the starter, and it would be disrespectful to Crawford.

There is no reason to start Emery on Tuesday unless Crawford isn't playing well, which he very much is. I originally figured Crawford would start around ~40 games, and Emery would relieve him on back-to-backs. If Emery keeps playing well, he'll get some more besides those, but probably not until late March or April.

w00d

Remember the Roar
Oct 14, 2011
Chicago Stadium

Crawford is 1.66/.934, and has not lost in regulation or OT. That's Vezina-worthy. I'm not saying he'll be a Vezina finalist come May, but right now he's a top-5 goalie in the league. There is a lot of hockey left to be played and Emery has only had 1 good game. He won't be in the mix for the Vezina any time soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad