Blackhawk fans who remember- your memories of 2001-02, a rare breakthrough in lean years?

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
For any Blackhawk fans who remember the unexpected oasis/outlier that was 2001-02, I'm interested to get your thoughts on this team, the one positive breakthrough in that rough stretch between Roenick/Belfour and Kane/Toews. It's a team that I find intriguing in retrospect, a team we thought would break out but unlike the late 2000s could not capitalize.

During that dreadful stretch from 1997-98 to 2006-07 between the Roenick/Belfour and Toews/Kane eras, the Blackhawks managed to sneak into the playoffs during a time when the franchise was mostly in tatters save for one surprise season.

And it wasn’t one of those fluky types of ways to get into the postseason for a rare time amidst a stretch of less than amazing hockey (ie 2013 Maple Leafs in the lockout shortened season, 2011-12 Florida Panthers with their 18 OT/shootout loser point games).

They won 41 games and registered 96 points!

They did it with a roster that, in a way, had no business finishing with as gaudy a record as they did.

Eric Daze scored 38 goals, an impressive total considering this was the deadest of the dead puck era days. He also played in every game that season for the only time in his career, not to mention won an All Star Game MVP (albeit a highly controversial selection, but an ASG MVP nonetheless).

Alexei Zhamnov’s best season by far as a Blackhawk- career highs in points (67) and games played (77).

Phil Housley at age 37 scored 15 goals, the 2nd most goals he scored in a season outside of his Buffalo/Winnipeg years (After 1993, only did better outside this year with 16 goals in 1995-96 with Calgary prior to the New Jersey trade)

Tony Amonte had his fewest goals as a Blackhawk (27) outside of the 48 game 1995 season following a 6 year stretch where he scored no fewer than 31 goals in full seasons.

Steve Sullivan and Michael Nylander both registered 60 point seasons.

Even Kyle Calder chipped in 53 points. And Steve Thomas had 11 goals in 34 games.

Jocelyn Thibault for the only time in his career won 30+ games (33-23-9, 2.49 GAA, 6 shutouts), yet ironically made his only All Star Game the following year.

And they were coached by of all people Brian Sutter, an old Blues nemesis as a player (80s Norris Division) and a coach (1991 St. Patrick’s Day Massacre).

This was a very interesting collection of guys thrown together for that year.

Compared to other notable outlier teams, they didn’t have the offensive firepower of the 1989-90 Toronto Maple Leafs, they didn’t have a badass roster like the 1992-93 Quebec Nordiques, and they certainly weren’t a right place right time team ala the 2005-06 Carolina Hurricanes.

It was a roster that perhaps didn’t set the world ablaze on paper that somehow found a way to make it work.

At one point that January, they were right on the heels of the legendary 2002 Red Wings- only 6 points back in the Central Division.

At the All Star break, they had the 2nd best record in the Western Conference and the 3rd best record in the entire league!

They had a very impressive 28-7-6 home record at the United Center considering the building back then wasn’t quite as loud as it would be in future years.

These Blackhawks with that roster on paper drastically overachieved, especially compared with the 2002 Capitals (Jagr, Bondra, Oates, Gonchar) with a roster on paper that drastically underachieved.

And they did this in a stacked, tightly packed Western Conference where, outside of the 116-point Red Wings, the 2-8 seeds were separated by only 5 points (between 94-99 points) and there were two 90+ point teams that actually missed the playoffs (Edmonton and Dallas)

This Chicago team finished with only three fewer points than the defending Stanley Cup champion Colorado Avalanche team that was part of a legendary showdown in the Western Conference Finals, which is hard to believe considering the talent gap between those teams.

How Brian Sutter did not win the Jack Adams Award for dragging this roster to that Gaudy record..... no offense to Bob Francis (who won the award last year for what he did with a Phoenix team that lost Roenick AND Tkachuk), but what Sutter did with that team considering what the team had been and would be was sensational.

Unfortunately, this sensational story did not have a happy ending.

They stumbled badly after the Olympic break (8 wins in their final 22 games) and ended up not getting home ice advantage.

In the playoffs, they faced a stacked Blues team (Pronger, MacInnis, Tkachuk, Weight, Demitra). They won game 1 on the road.

And then?

Well, Brent Johnson of all people registered three straight shutouts.

Of course, this was the Dead Puck Era, he had a HHOF blueline in front of him, and Patrick Lalime was also doing the exact same thing to a stacked Flyers team that actually had the same record as the Blackhawks that year.).

And he went 206 minutes and 45 seconds without allowing a goal. Brent Johnson!

No home playoff goals at the United Center. 4 straight losses. 5 goals in 5 games.

And just like that, the magic was gone. And it turned out to be fleeting- Amonte left in free agency, they gambled and lost on Theo Fleury, they frittered away any momentum from 2002, and fell hard to the point where just two years later, they were ranked the worst franchise in sports.

But in 2002, for one surprising season, they somehow made it look like that things might get better before they got worse.

But still, quite a year.

I’m interested to see what you Blackhawks fans who remember this team have to say about this team considering it was a rare oasis during a time that is mostly not remembered too fondly by Chicagoans.

Or any hockey fans in general from that time who remember this insanely positive outlier during a mostly negative era of Wimdy City hockey.

kuzy

Mar 31, 2012
St. Charles, IL
Well I was 8 and don't have too many insightful remarks regarding the Dark Ages from whence we came...but I do remember going to a game and being incredibly PO'd that my parents wouldn't let me get nachos :laugh:

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Sutter purposely tried to get Korolev on the ice against the Demitra line as often as he could. They got murdered.

I vividly remember that summer they signed Sergei Berezin to replace Amonte.

Yea.

Edit:

Thibault was awesome though. Little guy, crazy athletic.

Calder was a huge favorite of mine, because I was him. Bust your ass all game to be in the right position only to shank the rebound off the post.

Sullivan was mini Hossa. Monster all over the ice.

The people who think Schmaltz defers too much would have HATED Nylander.

Too many people crapped on Zhamnov, but that's because he wasn't Roenick.

Daze was a gunner that got crapped on for not being a power forward when he was getting murdered in the slot every game. You could literally mug somebody in the slot back then. "Clearing the crease." Much different game back then.

Last edited:

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
All I really remember is Daze and Zhamnov getting too much heat, and a general under current of dread heading into the playoffs because nobody I associated with believed they had a shot in hell. Frankly, winning a game was a surprise.

On the other hand, the WCF of the 2002 playoffs was so predictable, it may as well have been predetermined anyway. The only question was how many games it would take DET and COL to get there.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
All I really remember is Daze and Zhamnov getting too much heat, and a general under current of dread heading into the playoffs because nobody I associated with believed they had a shot in hell. Frankly, winning a game was a surprise.

On the other hand, the WCF of the 2002 playoffs was so predictable, it may as well have been predetermined anyway. The only question was how many games it would take DET and COL to get there.

Which is surprising considering Chicago only finished 3 points behind COL in the standings.

And lest we forget the Avs damn near got derailed in round 2 by San Jose, so it wasn't exactly THAT predictable/predetermined.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I remember Sutter foolishly pulling Thibault after a poor game 3 and then giving Passmore job for rest of series

It was dumb and Sutter overplayed Thibault that year (As he always did) and then he panic'd for no reason and Hawks fate was sealed

Seriously Thibault did well in games 1 and 2 ,,, There was no justification for that nonsense of handing job over to a bum like Passmore

Last edited:

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Daze would be great in todays NHL.
I never liked Zhamnov on any Team.

I have not seen games back then, best we got in Germany were some game reports...

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Daze was a harder shooting Mark Stone. And that defense was an aging PP QB in Housley and two talented but heartless mercenaries in Mironov/Karpovtsev. They had slow but effective Jon Klemm on that team and traded Spacek for shithead Lyle Odelein.

That was the first good team I remember following closely. Lotta mixed bag.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
I still think this core has one more run in them.
This year is a down year for sure and a year to hopefully correct a few things .. like coaching.
Next season with Crow back and healthy, Toews rested ( and whatever it is that is effecting him hopefully corrected ), a high draft pick playing right away ( Dahlin, Zadina, Tkachuk ... etc ), Hossa back with new and improved skin plus a top pairing D that Stan picks up through FA or trade ( Saad for Faulk etc ) and we're good to go for one last run before the old timers pack it in for good.

Ace Rothstein

Aces High
Mar 13, 2012
Didn't Karpovtsev score the GWG very late in Game 1? Good times.

Went to Game 3 at the UC, place was rocking. Someone on the Hawks went for a big hit at the offensive blue line which led to a 2 on 1 for the Blues. Our guy Jamal Mayers scored on it just over a minute in and sucked all the energy out of the place.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Yep scored GWG at 16:50 mark of 3rd period

Hawks would then be shutout the next 3 games

Hawks would have a 3-1 lead late in 2nd period of game 5 only for Steve Passmore to fall apart and end Hawks season

Enyaw

The names ... Wayne
Jan 17, 2014
Mark Bell and Kyle Calder era ... thought it was just the beginning of many years of playoffs

also ... Tyler Arnason

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Looking at some of the playoff games and I completely forgot Vladimir Chebaturkin was a Hawk

That was a guy I thought was going to be good player for Isles but he never put it together at NHL and went back to Europe

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Even back then, it felt like a bit of a fluke (think last year's Senators). Daze was obviously great and that was pretty much his career year. Zhamnov was the most frusterating player. He was an elite playmaker, but he also had a great shot. You wouldn't know, though, becuase he absolutely refused to use it. He always, always, always looked to move the puck to someone else, even if it killed a scoring chance. You'll still see old timers make Zhamnov references when a player makes a bad pass when he should have shot. Nylander and Sullivan were both well-liked and were great competitors on the ice. Probert played 61 games and was considered the worst player in the league (only thing worse than a 36

Defense was horrible, though. Housely did what he could, but he was on his last legs. He was the only defenseman with a shot, and that was a big deal in dead-puck. Klemm had been considered one of the better stay-at-homes coming into the year, but clearly lost a step. BoBo was as much of a joke as he was every year since the trade. I don't think I need to explain Karpovtsev to you; Foley did a good enough job of that. Poapst was Oesterle 2001. Thibault carried the the group kicking and screaming into the playoffs.

Brian Sutter was a lousy coach that absolutely detested youth. The story of that year was basically that the Hawks brought in a bunch of players who were on their last legs and they playe *just* good enough to sneak into the playoffs. The next year they descended back into medicority because they were, well, old.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I remember Sutter foolishly pulling Thibault after a poor game 3 and then giving Passmore job for rest of series

It was dumb and Sutter overplayed Thibault that year (As he always did) and then he panic'd for no reason and Hawks fate was sealed

Seriously Thibault did well in games 1 and 2 ,,, There was no justification for that nonsense of handing job over to a bum like Passmore

This.

I really like Thibault and his gear setup.

The heat Daze got was ridiculous as well.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I was going to a lot of games back then and this team was the rare "good" team as mentioned.

I always thought Zhamnov was really underated as fans hated him for not being JR. Daze was another guy who always got a bad rap from fans because he didn't play like Lindros, but he was a good player who couldn't stay healthy.

Nylander and Sullivan had very good chemistry on the 2nd line and it was Amonte's last full year with the team.

I remember being stunned when Potsy scored the game winner in game 1.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
This.

I really like Thibault and his gear setup.

The heat Daze got was ridiculous as well.
Thibault was great. The little guy tried his best, but was exhausted by the end of the season. I remember Sullivan and Nylander really being surprising. And Zhamnov ... showing he was a very good overall player. Unfortunately, he played with terrible teams ... where his talents were severely under utilized.

Callidusblackhawk

Feb 15, 2012
Downers Grove, Illinois
I was 9 years old and my dad took me to game 3 vs the Blues.... That's unfortunately my only memory of what was a pretty good season otherwise. I ironically started following the hawks religiously after this season right in time for Daze and Zhamnov to get hurt every year and for the rest of the team minus Sullivan, Thibault (my favorite player back then), and a few others to suck ass.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Even back then, it felt like a bit of a fluke (think last year's Senators). Daze was obviously great and that was pretty much his career year. Zhamnov was the most frusterating player. He was an elite playmaker, but he also had a great shot. You wouldn't know, though, becuase he absolutely refused to use it. He always, always, always looked to move the puck to someone else, even if it killed a scoring chance. You'll still see old timers make Zhamnov references when a player makes a bad pass when he should have shot. Nylander and Sullivan were both well-liked and were great competitors on the ice. Probert played 61 games and was considered the worst player in the league (only thing worse than a 36

Defense was horrible, though. Housely did what he could, but he was on his last legs. He was the only defenseman with a shot, and that was a big deal in dead-puck. Klemm had been considered one of the better stay-at-homes coming into the year, but clearly lost a step. BoBo was as much of a joke as he was every year since the trade. I don't think I need to explain Karpovtsev to you; Foley did a good enough job of that. Poapst was Oesterle 2001. Thibault carried the the group kicking and screaming into the playoffs.

Brian Sutter was a lousy coach that absolutely detested youth. The story of that year was basically that the Hawks brought in a bunch of players who were on their last legs and they playe *just* good enough to sneak into the playoffs. The next year they descended back into medicority because they were, well, old.

Another aspect of that year was it was last run of Amonte and everyone knew he would be gone after year (I remember some talk Hawks might trade him instead of holding onto him thru playoffs)

Hindsight is 20/20 but he like rest of team was MIA when it mattered most

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad