Blackhawk fans who remember- your memories of 2001-02, a rare breakthrough in lean years?

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
That's how difficult rebuilding is. Lots of prospects that end up going no where.
exactly and the current system is loaded with some young prospects that will not pan out, but that is thru attrition of having bodies to pick and chose.

Last edited:

arsenalgooner

Nov 2, 2011
I had just finished a grad degree at Illinois and had moved to Chicago to work. My dad and brother drove up from Champaign (no, we didn’t grow up in Champaign my folks moved there from KC in 01) to go to what I think was game 3. We had been to a few Hawks games over the previous two years using the $8 student ticket deal, so I was a little shocked that the tickets for the playoffs were $25 in the 300 level, I think. Felt like big money then. Incidentally we paid $11 a ticket for our 9 game plan in 08-09!

I was disgusted by the result. Huge crowd that was ready to explode, and they laid an egg. To this day I’m bitter about it. I hated the Hawks teams of that era, not so much because of the players, but because of WWW, Peter Wirtz, and Pulford. I can’t remember if it was Peter or Pulford who was quoted one time talking about how the Hawks were trying because their salary was in the top third of the league. It just meant you were over paying mediocre players.

Apparently I still have issues!!

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I was born at the end of 87. Hard to be a huge fan when half the games were blacked out and I was supposed to be in bed by 830.

Thought you were a little older

I was born in 85 and by age 9 I was staying up watching ESPN2 in my room into 1am or so

It was a bitch getting up for school in morning but I just couldn't not watch the Pacific games and NHL2night

Getting my own TV with cable at age 8 was a great thing

Reactions: BK

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Thought you were a little older

I was born in 85 and by age 9 I was staying up watching ESPN2 in my room into 1am or so

It was a ***** getting up for school in morning but I just couldn't not watch the Pacific games and NHL2night

Getting my own TV with cable at age 8 was a great thing

Haha love it. Was it a great thing or dangerous thing?

I remember staying up to watch Sunday night hockey with my day. Games during the week were harder because I was at the rink basically every day.

jaysoneil

Feb 22, 2013
IL
Started using the Zhamnov curve on my two piece composite sticks after that year. Gnarly curve, but the Z-Bubble didn't care.

Watching games on the TV back then was a treat, but nothing beat listening the Hawks get wrecked every night on the radio on the way to practice.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
That team had alot of experience and tuned into the coach. They followed his system.

They all knew their roles and were defensively responsible. For all the crap the defense got, they took the body every chance they got and moved the puck up to the forwards. Housely had nothing left but a great shot, but was still good enough that other teams had to respect him on the ice.

The problem was, they tuned Sutter out the next year, Daze was as fragile as fine china, the Theo failure, and the ABC line was complete garbage with the exception of C.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Yep scored GWG at 16:50 mark of 3rd period

Hawks would then be shutout the next 3 games

Hawks would have a 3-1 lead late in 2nd period of game 5 only for Steve Passmore to fall apart and end Hawks season

The fact that Brent Johnson of all people got 3 straight shutouts just showed how absurd the dead puck era was.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I was 6 and had a Roenick Jersey. That was the extent of my hockey apparel and knowledge until we moved to North Dakota in 2004. Then hockey became life. Basketball was much bigger at my house before then.

My dad being a Hoosier and loving the Bulls. My sister’s middle name is Jordan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad