GDT: Bite The Big Apple - Hurricanes vs Rangers

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
The heat map is pretty telling from last night.

Image 1-3-24 at 8.50 AM.jpeg

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
KK is our 2C and has 1G, 0A and is -5 in 16 games since December started. We already have a "plays great defense" center that doesn't score much in Staal. I get that he's streaky, but that's just terrible production for his salary and position.

On the plus side, the team is winning in spite of that and hopefully he'll go on a bit of a hot streak at a time when others cool off and the team needs it, but there's no denying how poorly he's producing right now.

As far as Drury and KK being able to carry the torch once Staal hangs them up, it's possible but we need to see them doing it against top competition before assuming they can carry the torch.
Last night was the first night I thought he looked decent in a while. Hopefully he’s turning a corner or feeling better after the rumored injury.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
You're right. It is indeed my problem.

I come to get a quick endorphin hit after a really fun win, and instead it's the same old bullshit.

Fandom kinda sucks.
Fair enough.

To be fair also though, I didn't bring him up in the first place. I was just responding to a couple other posts where I didn't agree with them. Anyhow, it's water under the bridge.

I agree he looked better last night and hopefully it's really the reported wrist/hand injury that's contributing to the lack of production.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Fandom kinda sucks.

I've found that I am actually enjoying watching Premier League soccer more than most sports these days because I don't have any dog in the fight. I enjoy watching the game and I can just enjoy good plays and players. I don't care what game is on or who wins...all I like to see is an entertaining game. And I get that most of the time. If the game sucks, I have no problem leaving it for another or just going back to my real life. All the other sports where I have a 'vested' interest usually are not as stress free.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Svech on why the PP has gotten better: "Uh, I don't know, that's a good question actually. Seems like we've played the same, we've, uh tried to put the pucks more in the net."

It doesn't look like they are doing that much differently on the PP, just playing with a LOT more confidence.

Little things like holding the puck a little longer at times to make a play vs. it being like a hot potato. More decisive passes. Better movement. Quicker decisions and getting to the net more. The overall PP strategy doesn't look too different to me, just the confidence. They do seem to have more guys that aren't afraid to get into high danger areas though and they are guys who make plays/put it in the net. Jarvis, Bunting, Drury, Noesen for example.

In the past, the Canes seemed to struggle when teams had an aggressive PK that pressured them all over the ice. Seemed almost flustered. Now they seem to be handling that better and making teams pay if they are too aggressive.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I've found that I am actually enjoying watching Premier League soccer more than most sports these days because I don't have any dog in the fight. I enjoy watching the game and I can just enjoy good plays and players. I don't care what game is on or who wins...all I like to see is an entertaining game. And I get that most of the time. If the game sucks, I have no problem leaving it for another or just going back to my real life. All the other sports where I have a 'vested' interest usually are not as stress free.
The older I get, the more I feel that sports are just soap operas for (mostly) men, and the "analysis" that we do is as absurd as trying to predict the next result on Ted Lasso.

I stan our main characters: the plucky coach who should be in the HoF but isn't, the Christmas Elf who scores goals, his quirky best bud and Fortnite partner who seems like he should really be working in IT somewhere, the upstanding D man who is a pillar of his community, the young Russian prodigy trying to come back from adversity, the aging mountain man who's going for one last shot at the cup.

BBA, sorry for jumping your shit. I find that I just want to root for all of these guys, because they seem like good guys, and that's it. If we can't just enjoy a good episode, then what's the point?

Unhinged Finn

Skunk is my spirit animal
May 1, 2022
I made a mistake and went to the rongos GDT. First they are making insults in a homophobic vibe and then talking about how unattractive our players are. I guess having Lundqvist in their team made them think hockey is a beauty contest. Or something.

Also. They can't figure out why their guys didn't kill Aho. It's almost as the nyr players thought it was an accident and moved on. Go figure.

That was a weird read.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
It doesn't look like they are doing that much differently on the PP, just playing with a LOT more confidence.

Little things like holding the puck a little longer at times to make a play vs. it being like a hot potato. More decisive passes. Better movement. Quicker decisions and getting to the net more. The overall PP strategy doesn't look too different to me, just the confidence. They do seem to have more guys that aren't afraid to get into high danger areas though and they are guys who make plays/put it in the net. Jarvis, Bunting, Drury, Noesen for example.

In the past, the Canes seemed to struggle when teams had an aggressive PK that pressured them all over the ice. Seemed almost flustered. Now they seem to be handling that better and making teams pay if they are too aggressive.

I’m no expert (the eternal qualifier), but to me it seems like the subtle change is that between Aho, Burns, and Svechnikov, every time they receive a pass above the dots they’re now moving their feet forward to actually seem like a threat. Yes, the puck still moves around high in the zone a lot. But each time the puck is received, threatening movement, even if subtle, is made toward the goal, which opens up the defense to make that final scoring play.

Before, it looked like Burns was the dad and Aho was the kid and they were just playing catch in the yard for a minute, with no desire to actually get the puck toward the net at any point. Totally stationary. Opposing PKs were more than happy to just let that happen. Now, with that subtle goalward movement, not so much.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I made a mistake and went to the rongos GDT. First they are making insults in a homophobic vibe and then talking about how unattractive our players are. I guess having Lundqvist in their team made them think hockey is a beauty contest. Or something.

Also. They can't figure out why their guys didn't kill Aho. It's almost as the nyr players thought it was an accident and moved on. Go figure.

That was a weird read.
Please refer to the OP for my quote that was masterfully lifted.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
And I can't believe their mods have the audacity to threaten us if we "like" a post over there. I'll like whatever goddamn posts I want

TBF, our favorite turtle seem to specifically refer to using the laugh emoji in purpose of mocking a poster. Gotta say it irks me when people do that on Facebook, and apparently is catching on here.
What is "Troll Liking"? Laugh reacting to people's post here or there, when something is not funny or not meant to be funny.
Yeah it's become an issue around the entire site, and trying to keep it at bay. I even get laughed at when I close a thread in the mains, but I'm like whatever. lol.

That Trouba tampon post was legit funny tho.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

That was a weird read.
I am not ashamed to admit that even I can tell the Canes have a team of some incredibly attractive men. There's also some awkward goofballs as well, but there's a reason that I have to block about half the Xitter accounts I see for the Canes. As the yoots say, them wiminz be thirsty

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL

That was a weird read.
I watched the Ranger broadcast last night (I like their production/picture quality plus like to know other team views…I’ll watch Bally version today).

Anyway, Valiquette (sp) said that the Rangers misplayed the PK saying that aho never scores above the dot and that he always passes. Rangers gave him too much shooting respect that left other guys open (led to Svetch goal).

Also, based on history he looked at us as entirely a dump and chase team. Thus, easy to play against in the playoffs.

However, what surprised him in preparation for the game is that the Canes lead the League in East-West goals and as result he now view us much more dangerous to play against.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I watched the Ranger broadcast last night (I like their production/picture quality plus like to know other team views…I’ll watch Bally version today).

Anyway, Valiquette (sp) said that the Rangers misplayed the PK saying that aho never scores above the dot and that he always passes. Rangers gave him too much shooting respect that left other guys open (led to Svetch goal).

Also, based on history he looked at us as entirely a dump and chase team. Thus, easy to play against in the playoffs.

However, what surprised him in preparation for the game is that the Canes lead the League in East-West goals and as result he now view us much more dangerous to play against.
I heard that comment as well.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
TBF, our favorite turtle seem to specifically refer to using the laugh emoji in purpose of mocking a poster. Gotta say it irks me when people do that on Facebook, and apparently is catching on here.

That Trouba tampon post was legit funny tho.
It's hard not to laugh react when a team like the Rags, Broons, Lightning, Shitts, or Laughs make posts bitching about the refs, like you guys are the teams that get ALL of the benefit of the doubt. Heaven forbid there be 1-2 soft or missed calls go against you. We have players get mugged, tackled, and injured on a regular basis that rarely gets penalized. NHL refs are shit in general, I think everyone from every team can agree, but don't come at us with your tears from the occasional bad call when we literally lose count most games

Francis10

Jan 28, 2012
Canada
Let me rephrase:

Your particular obsession with KK is boring. Yours. You.
Not an obsession just calling a spade a spade. KK is my favourite Canes player and I’m still going to call him out. In the last 20 games Carolina has played:

Jesperi Kotkaniemi = 20 GP, 3 G, 0 A, 3 PTS, TOI 13:58
Brendan Lemieux = 12 GP, 2 G, 1 A, 3 PTS, TOI 7:18

Think it’s more than fine to question him and have some concerns. Your 2C should be putting up at least 10 PTS in 20 games.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Not an obsession just calling a spade a spade. KK is my favourite Canes player and I’m still going to call him out. In the last 20 games Carolina has played:

Jesperi Kotkaniemi = 20 GP, 3 G, 0 A, 3 PTS, TOI 13:58
Brendan Lemieux = 12 GP, 2 G, 1 A, 3 PTS, TOI 7:18

Think it’s more than fine to question him and have some concerns. Your 2C should be putting up at least 10 PTS in 20 games.

That stat line reminds me of something that was shown on the Rangers broadcast. They had a guy between the benches, and they caught some chirping between Lemeiux and another Rangers player. It went back and forth until this gem:

Rangers player: "Oh, you've played like 8 games, get over yourself."
Lemeiux: "Actually, it's 12 games!"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad